TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

9 hours ago, kacbru said:

He might want to take next year to observe at a distance as well, there's no quick fix here.

The whole observational thing is b.s. IMO, I think he's just trying to make his stats look good by taking over on the final game since there was no chance they were going to win those games on the road, whereas they have a shot at not losing at home in the final game. Although I wasn't impressed with Dunfield's interim stint, I feel bad for him given that, since Herdman's actual hiring, he has basically been used as a "patsy" worse than Lee Harvey Oswald allegedly was. These last two games should still go on Herdman's record, but I bet they won't courtesy of whoever does the official stats.

Edited by Gian-Luca

32 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Can't Insigne and the club mutually agree to alter the terms of the contract? Seems logical.

I am sure they can.  But I assume Insigne wants to return to Serie A and still get paid $7.5 a year.  It depends on who blinks first.  Likely, TFC will eat a portion of it to get rid of him.

Just now, Ruffian said:

I know this could definitely be a manipulated number but reported in 2023 it was $7.5 million per year.

https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

The other $7.5 million is a 'Personal Services Contract' with TFC that they leave off the MLSPA docs for some reason.

He is soooo over paid is why I don't think he will leave.

Maybe he plays 1 more season. Banks all that money for 1 more year and then leaves.

Sort of like what Giovinco did in Saudi Arabia 

52 minutes ago, narduch said:

The other $7.5 million is a 'Personal Services Contract' with TFC that they leave off the MLSPA docs for some reason.

He is soooo over paid is why I don't think he will leave.

Maybe he plays 1 more season. Banks all that money for 1 more year and then leaves.

Sort of like what Giovinco did in Saudi Arabia 

That's one of MLS's all time most unmovable contracts.

How the management person who signed off on this one deal alone is still employed by the ownership is mind boggling to me.

On 10/10/2023 at 3:06 PM, Bison44 said:

So they jack up his wage to get him here, then we cant move him back out because his wage is too high.  And the piles of cash he is getting isnt enough to motivate him to play here in canada??  F#CK ME.  Why do they keep signing guys like this??  

It's TFC.

Why wreck a good tradition.

On 10/10/2023 at 9:06 PM, Bison44 said:

So they jack up his wage to get him here, then we cant move him back out because his wage is too high.  And the piles of cash he is getting isnt enough to motivate him to play here in canada??  F#CK ME.  Why do they keep signing guys like this??  

Sounds like they took a page from Barça's accounting these last few years.

So that's a comparison to be proud of.

You can always loan him out to a club willing to pay 2/3s of the salary or so, which'd free that up for other signings.

On 10/10/2023 at 10:00 PM, narduch said:

Insigne gets paid $15 million per year by the way 

He made close to 15 million his first year.

The way the numbers look, he must of had a 10 million dollar signing bonus, since it was a free transfer.

TFC paid a 10 million dollar transfer fee to get Defoe, so when adjusted for inflation, the deals are fairly similar.

58 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

He made close to 15 million his first year.

The way the numbers look, he must of had a 10 million dollar signing bonus, since it was a free transfer.

TFC paid a 10 million dollar transfer fee to get Defoe, so when adjusted for inflation, the deals are fairly similar.

Whatever the real number is, he gets paid way more than what his value is in Europe.

That wasn't the case with Defoe. And it's why they were able to offload him

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Whatever the real number is, he gets paid way more than what his value is in Europe.

That wasn't the case with Defoe. And it's why they were able to offload him

That's a big difference.  Supply/demand.  Hey, even the Saudis aren't in the running for him (maybe they are, who knows?).  But man, that's a BAD contract.  When does this deal end?

49 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

That's a big difference.  Supply/demand.  Hey, even the Saudis aren't in the running for him (maybe they are, who knows?).  But man, that's a BAD contract.  When does this deal end?

I don't think his wife would even let him go to Saudi Arabia if he wanted.

Just as an aside, I have inside knowledge that Bernardeschi considered Saudi Arabia and his wife put a stop to that