TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

so his first game as head coach will be against arfield...hilarious

did great qualifying canada to the world cup but should be noted that head coaching at club and national team levels are very different and he has no experience as head coach of a pro club team...in any case best wishes to him but a trio of manning herdman hernandez seems unlikely to work out...and if it doesnt then its probably the end for manning

40 minutes ago, Big_M said:

so his first game as head coach will be against arfield...hilarious

did great qualifying canada to the world cup but should be noted that head coaching at club and national team levels are very different and he has no experience as head coach of a pro club team...in any case best wishes to him but a trio of manning herdman hernandez seems unlikely to work out...and if it doesnt then its probably the end for manning

He's not taking over until October?

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Well, let's what his job title would be (aame as Bradley Sr.'s?) and who brings for assistants. 

The CSA announcemnt noted that "Also departing Canada Soccer will be Assistant Coaches Simon Eaddy and Eric Tenllado, Lead Scout, Alex Dodgshon, and Head of Performance, Dr. Cesar Meylan."

Meylan and Eaddy came with him from New Zealand over a decade ago.

I'd assume all will be joining TFC.

Hopefully this will mean less injuries.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/john-herdman-departs-canada-soccer-mens-national-team/

Edited by nfitz

37 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

No idea if this is true or not:

but suspect it's more that MLSE don't want any honeymoon period with John Herdman to be over before season ticket renewal season is out of the way. Guess they also have Giovinco waiting in the wings for that, if Herdman wants to proceed in that direction.

Maybe this explains why we are not having Sept friendlies - it interfered with John's preparation for his keynote to BC mayors and councilors.  Interesting that the publication date below is Aug 2, but it also does not refer to him as the CMNT coach, rather that he is an internationally renowned coach.  Did UBCM know about his move to TFC before the CSA?

John Herdman to headline 2023 Convention

Publishing Date
August 2, 2023

Our keynote speaker for 2023 Convention is John Herdman: an internationally renowned soccer coach, who has led Canada’s women's and men’s teams to record-breaking victories, and developed his own philosophy around how to organize the game.

Herdman is known for his leadership philosophy which he applied to the struggling Canadian men’s soccer team. When he became head coach in 2018, the team was placed 72nd in FIFA World Rankings. By 2022, the team made history qualifying for the FIFA World Cup for the first time since 1986—where they also scored Canada’s first-ever men’s goal at FIFA—and upped their international ranking to 45th

Before that he coached the Canadian women’s team while they won historic back-to-back bronze medals at the 2012 and 2016 Olympics—the first Canadian summer Olympics team to do so in over a century. The team also placed sixth at the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup. 

Herdman is the first Canadian coach to qualify both a women’s and men’s national team for the World Cup.

His keynote address is on Wednesday morning. Register for 2023 Convention here.

1 hour ago, shorty said:

Seems to confirm they are paying JH well too, right at the end of the article. “Doesn’t come cheap”. I think he will do well in the short term, but TFC never learns: “It’s not working? Spend more $$! Get a big name!”

This is probably true, though the article is a Steve Simmons piece so I doubt an iota of research went into that comment.

13 hours ago, kacbru said:

Maybe this explains why we are not having Sept friendlies ...

Unlikely - the story (on page 1!) of today's Star says it was the cancelling of fall friendlies (against Saudi Arabia and South Korea - both in England) that was one of the last straw's leading to him approaching TFC.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So would anyone mind: who's going to be on Herdman's team at TFC?

Do you mean the coaching team/staff, players, or both?

For coaching team & staff, we've heard Robyn Gayle (the only national team staff to transfer over thus far) and Terry Dunfield.

For players, I'm guessing the solid bets still to be with the team starting day 2024 are Sean Johnson & Osorio (unless the latter is one of the National team players that had started tuning out or soured on Herdman).

Kobe Franklin would be my next gues as still being there in early 2024 - he's the only member of the defense I'd still want to keep (except maybe Gutierrez if someone can find him a magic cure for being made out of glass, although everyone they sign seems to have the same disease).

On 8/29/2023 at 12:03 PM, mtroads said:

Hope Herdman's training staff that he's bringing in can keep people on the field.

One his physio guys (who worked on Davies in Qatar) has a private practice in North Vancouver, so I doubt he's following him to TFC.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

& Osorio (unless the latter is one of the National team players that had started tuning out or soured on Herdman).

Osorio gave Herdman a million reasons to sub him out at the GC, and Herdman would not.  Pretty certain Osorio is safe if he wants to be there.

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Do you mean the coaching team/staff, players, or both?

For coaching team & staff, we've heard Robyn Gayle (the only national team staff to transfer over thus far) and Terry Dunfield.

For players, I'm guessing the solid bets still to be with the team starting day 2024 are Sean Johnson & Osorio (unless the latter is one of the National team players that had started tuning out or soured on Herdman).

Kobe Franklin would be my next gues as still being there in early 2024 - he's the only member of the defense I'd still want to keep (except maybe Gutierrez if someone can find him a magic cure for being made out of glass, although everyone they sign seems to have the same disease).

I meant coaching staff. I think Eady goes with him, and maybe Tenllado. They don't stay with Canada and the way he spoke to the press I thought it was a team package, he referred to the analytics for example.

I always thought Herdman negotiated a coaching staff deal with Canada to complement his own.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I meant coaching staff. I think Eady goes with him, and maybe Tenllado. They don't stay with Canada and the way he spoke to the press I thought it was a team package, he referred to the analytics for example.

I always thought Herdman negotiated a coaching staff deal with Canada to complement his own.

I mentioned this in another thread but might as well post here that Tenlado was also at the game tonight