TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

I thought his loan ended in December and Vancouver had declined his option making him free in a month?

Nope "VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Monday that the club has exercised the 2023 Major League Soccer contract option for centre back Derek Cornelius, bringing the first team roster to 23 players for next season. Cornelius is currently on loan through December 2022 with Greek Super League side Panetolikos FC."

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 1:02 PM, jordan said:

Rodrigo Rey’s name came up 31 year old keeper 

I'm unfamiliar with him aside from what a quick internet search just told me, but he looks like an interesting candidate.

I also notice that Montreal let Pantemis go.  He made $160 k last year and is good enough to be on the bench for the national team.

3 hours ago, Kingston said:

I also notice that Montreal let Pantemis go.  He made $160 k last year and is good enough to be on the bench for the national team.

I've brought him up before as a possible back up guy in T.O.  but I don't the fan base has the same interest.

5 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I've brought him up before as a possible back up guy in T.O.  but I don't the fan base has the same interest.

Could be just down to cap hit if the plan is to stretch wages in certain positions, though it’s only 40k so who knows.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Signing Vazquez pretty much signals the direction for next year. 

The direction being John-John Kennedy's plane slowly in a disoriented fashion spirally into the drink off Martha's Vineyard? 

Always liked Vazquez's qualities but with him and Bradley starting in midfield, viewers will be constantly thinking that they are watching the match in slow mo and will be hitting the fast forward button on their remotes.

This season has a bad vibe already.

31 minutes ago, Metro said:

VinceA posted this over on the Osorio thread.  Thought it should go here too.

I would have liked to see him get a chance in Europe but, at this stage in his career, there would be too much of a starting over aspect if TFC is offering a good contract.

As a TFC fan, I'm very pleased to see him back.  He is a very talented player, provides good leadership, gives his all, and really gets things like the Canadian Championship.

As an NT fan, I'm okay with this.  I'm not sure how much better Osorio will get at this point, even if he had gone to Europe and he'll get lots of high quality minutes in Toronto.  He's great on the NT but by 2026 I suspect he'll be more in the aging veteran role.   Certainly I hope (for the NT, not against Osorio) that there are even better players ready to start for us in the midfield by then.

I think this is what we’re looking at in terms of lineup right now (for sure starter in bold underlined-likely starter in bold)

Romero

JMR-Macnughton-O’Neil-Antongulu

Osorio-Bradley-Kaye

Bernadeschi-Akinola-Insigne

I look at that and it tells me a Striker, CB, LB, GK, and possibly midfielder are needed.

11 hours ago, RS said:

Is there an actual reason to believe Vazquez will be starting regularly in 2023?

I was reading, I think it was on MLS.com that teams are just starting to build their rosters to take into account that teams are now allowed 5 subs.  This makes room for players like Vasquez who don't have to start to contribute.

All you need from him is 20 minutes a game, he can come in to protect a lead or support the attack if you need a goal.

1 hour ago, Jack1997 said:

I think this is what we’re looking at in terms of lineup right now (for sure starter in bold underlined-likely starter in bold)

Romero

JMR-Macnughton-O’Neil-Antongulu

Osorio-Bradley-Kaye

Bernadeschi-Akinola-Insigne

I look at that and it tells me a Striker, CB, LB, GK, and possibly midfielder are needed.

Where does Laryea fit in? or do you expect him to back to NF? I think Toronto has a buy option on the loan.

10 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Where does Laryea fit in? or do you expect him to back to NF? I think Toronto has a buy option on the loan.

I don't think they do because there were reports about TFC trying to land him on a permanent basis (as opposed to just triggering an option).

I suspect that, after his strong World Cup showing, NF will either take him back and give him an honest go or else - more likely - sell him.