TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

The Herdman part is getting discussion over in the NT thread, but the part that caught my eye was that they've had discussions with Carl Robinson as well. I'd be interested in that happening, only because there's a certain segment of the Whitecaps fan base that believes he failed in the end only because the Whitecaps were cheap. I tend to think that his tactics were just limited and the league caught up (and passed) him. Anyway, I'd enjoy seeing what happened if he took over.

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The Herdman part is getting discussion over in the NT thread, but the part that caught my eye was that they've had discussions with Carl Robinson as well. I'd be interested in that happening, only because there's a certain segment of the Whitecaps fan base that believes he failed in the end only because the Whitecaps were cheap. I tend to think that his tactics were just limited and the league caught up (and passed) him. Anyway, I'd enjoy seeing what happened if he took over.

Some people will just never get over the fact he was a woman's coach. I would love to see if he could have success at the club level since the Canadian men's team did well with him in WC qualifying. I just don't know if I want to bear all the internet negativity that would come with this move.

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Carl Robinson, Marc dos Santos, Robin Fraser, Preki, Winter, Mariner, and certainly many others who have had bites at the head coaching cherry have or will be levelling out at the top assistant coach ceiling.

As for Herdman, it's hard to predict how he would do but this seems like such a TFC move under this current top management.

He might rock the kazbah or he might fall on his face like Klinny at Bayern Munich.  I hope it is the former.

2 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

Herdman might be able to get the best out of the players currently there such as Insigne and Berna but they still need a CB, CM and a ST if they want to compete with the best of MLS. Can TFC afford 1 more DP, a u22 DP and a player on max TAM?

The departures of MAK, Hedges, and Laryea free up about $3 million.  So probably.

Manning should not be allowed to rebuild this team. In any org the buck stops at the top. The club/team has been  shambolic for at least 3 seasons now.  #1 city in population, Ownership with deep pockets, a decent stadium, loads of young talent in the GTA. We need TFC to return to being a winner not just for MLS but for all the young soccer players in the area.  There really should be no excuse for the direction this team has gone. Lots of turnover with players, coaches & GMs but 1 individual still stands at the bridge

From the limited amount I have seen the Forge, Smyrniotis could do well at TFC.  Appears to be much better tactically than Herdman. That said, I do like that Herdman has brought in youth to the national team.  IMHO, TFC really needs to focus on internal development in the short run and move the old DPs on.  With his man-management skills, he will at least bring unity back to this team. 

I would take Smyrniotis over Herdman, as I trust CSA to hire Neville if they lose Herdman.  If CSA were to CSA hire Bielo, then I would take Herdman for the next 18-months.  All to say, I would not be disappointed in either hire as there are positives to both.  I hate having to weight the consequences for both TFC and CMNT, but I lack trust in both of their leadership to make the best decisions. 

On 8/17/2023 at 12:02 PM, Ruffian said:

I am just hoping we see Lazar Stefanovic, Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty and Kobe Franklin starting this weekend. An appearance for Hugo Mbongue would be nice too.

Have not seen anything in Hugo not even a glimpse of anything that tells me this player has any promise of making a go of it at this level of pro soccer . Hopefully he proves me wrong and starts to show us something.

Anytime Robinson's name comes up, I always think back to his second year with TFC (I think).  TFC had a free kick at the top of the 18 and Brennan was lining it up.  Robinson marches over, literally pushes Brennan out of the way and then proceeds to sky it 20 feet over the bar.  That's Robinson's legacy for me.  I don't want anything to change that.

JDG tearing TFC a new one and it's glorious. Not that I want to see the team fail but I just find it so refreshing to hear an intelligent member of the mainstream media go in on a Canadian club. We need less tip-toeing around soccer in general in this country and I hope this attitude will translate to how our media cover all of Canadian soccer.

On 6/28/2023 at 12:03 AM, BearcatSA said:

No, you're right.  I shouldn't be judging him but a player CV doesn't translate into a coaching CV, either (and his player CV is better than Arsene Wenger's, too).  He's strictly an interim guy here but we'll see how things play out for the remainder of the season. 

Okay, I have seen enough.  Next!