TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

11 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

Stefanovic and Mabikba next game please 

Mabika full on quit on a goal.  He couldn’t even fake it. 

And yeah, game is over. But if he can’t even make an effort than he won’t mind sitting for a while.  Sorry I just hate this shit lol. 

Put the kids in and let them figure it out. These other pylons need to go. 

Edited by canuckgbp

It’s not even a team thing, I think if you are being gainfully employed to play a sport, you can’t just blatantly give up on a play on live TV in a stadium “full” of supporters, it’s a personal embarrassment and a fuck you to the people who pay your salary and the people who pay to watch you.

I really hope TFC fails in their Laryea purchase. I have no idea what they expect him to contribute to this tire fire. 

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It’s not even a team thing, I think if you are being gainfully employed to play a sport, you can’t just blatantly give up on a play on live TV in a stadium “full” of supporters, it’s a personal embarrassment and a fuck you to the people who pay your salary and the people who pay to watch you.

I really hope TFC fails in their Laryea purchase. I have no idea what they expect him to contribute to this tire fire. 

But then again it wouldn't be the first pro career they've dragged down to the depths with them.

43 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Right now the whole organization is embarrassing.  Thought after all the years of futility ended with 3 solid years of success that Tfc had turned the corner and would be a mainstay in contention every year.  Unbelievable how far they have dropped and what a disappointment the team is.

With the resources they have, they should be the Eastern Seattle Sounders. 

16 minutes ago, costarg said:

But then again it wouldn't be the first pro career they've dragged down to the depths with them.

Taking my CANMNT hat off for a second, it makes less sense for TFC to make that deal than it does for Richie. They're probably going to acquire him for as much or more than they sold him to NF which is obviously hilarious considering he played bits of 7 games for NF, pay him like $1M/yr and he's not going to start scoring all these goals for Toronto which is what they need. Not to mention, I assume he's going to take Franklin's spot who TFC should be heavily invested in developing, especially with this season already being a wash.

Anyways, I hope they clear out all these vets and go full youth movement. They won't, but man, what a mess.

TFC has to fix their academy system.  The majority of the academy graduates seem to be not ready when they are given a chance. The academy has state of the art facilities but something is wrong with the coaching that the young players are getting.  Simply things like giving the coaches a coaching seminar to improve their teaching skills.  Once we get that fixed, at least TFC will be able to get competent young players flowing onto the team.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah I came here to post that goal. They should leave Mabika in New York and start Stefanovic the rest of the way. Completely embarrassing. 

He looks like yet another guy wanting to get moved away from the club as quickly as possible.

🎶Sh*tshow!  Watch....🎶

11 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

TFC has to fix their academy system.  The majority of the academy graduates seem to be not ready when they are given a chance. The academy has state of the art facilities but something is wrong with the coaching that the young players are getting.  Simply things like giving the coaches a coaching seminar to improve their teaching skills.  Once we get that fixed, at least TFC will be able to get competent young players flowing onto the team.

I tend to agree with you.  For a very long time, TFC players have dominated the selection of our U20, U17 and U15 teams.  It is well known that the Toronto area produces by far the greatest number of soccer (and basketball!) players in the country and TFC gets to pick the cream of the crop as evidenced by the national youth selections.  Currently, if I look at the Canadian soccer team's wikipedia page and the current roster and recent call ups, there are 48 players on the list list.  From the TFC academy, there are 6 (a little over 10% of the total):

Liam Fraser (who also played in the Whitecaps academy)

Jayden Nelson

Jacen Russell-Rowe (who was released by TFC before turning pro and went to Columbus after college)

Doneil Henry

Mark-Anthony Kaye (who was releasted by TFC before turning pro and went to LAFC after a stint in USL)

Aki Akinola

So two of those players were actually released by TFC before turning pro and had to make it elsewhere and one of them was jointly developed with the Whitecaps.  And none of the 6 are mainstays of the national team.  Henry you could argue was a few years back and Kaye for a short period of time when he was at LAFC.  None are even sure selections these days to the roster no matter starters.

There are 3 others that were signed late in their youth career and spent some time with the reserves (TFC II) and of those only Osorio has stuck with TFC and prospered (but that's not related to the youth set up anyway).

Raheen Edwards

Jonathan Osorio

Jacob Shaffleburg

As a comparison, VFC has 5 (Ahmed, Fraser, Hasel, Adekugbe, and Davies) and CFM (Choiniere, Kone, Crepeau, Pantemis) has 4 youth players in that 48 in spite of having much less to work with.

And from the Toronto area (in TFC's catchment) you have the following 11 on the national side:

Dwayne St. Clair

Kamal Miller

Richie Laryea

Liam Miller

Lucas Cavallini

Junior Hoilett

Alistair Johnson

Derek Cornelius

Cyle Larin

Tajon Buchanan

Theo Corbeanu

You coud make a case for Jonathan David as well but he is from Ottawa so not quite in the catchment.  A few like Hutchinson, Vitoria and Borjan are too old to have been in TFC academy but are from the area.  What stands out is the fact that our best players come from elsewhere other than the 3 academies.

So frankly a quite pathetic record.  Yes, you can argue they edge VFC and CFM but those two have a smaller catchment area.  CFM has done well recently and is growing; VFC you could argue is worse than TFC, especially recently and so sad after having one of the best programs in NA not that long ago.

From observing the players, it seems clear to me that when they graduate to the pro ranks, they are not fully rounded.  They are missing the fundamentals.  It seems as if due to their either greater physical gifts or early development, they can simply bully and dominate other teams so don't refine those skills while a youth player which when they get to the pro ranks becomes glaringly obvoius.  

Considering they get the cream of the cream, they should be doing a lot better.  They should be like Ajax and the Netherlands. 25% or more of the national team should have come through them.  And VFC and CFM should be like PSV and Feyenoord.  As it is, our best players (other than Davies) are developed elsehwhere.  That is pathethic.

11 hours ago, An Observer said:

I tend to agree with you.  For a very long time, TFC players have dominated the selection of our U20, U17 and U15 teams.  It is well known that the Toronto area produces by far the greatest number of soccer (and basketball!) players in the country and TFC gets to pick the cream of the crop as evidenced by the national youth selections.  Currently, if I look at the Canadian soccer team's wikipedia page and the current roster and recent call ups, there are 48 players on the list list.  From the TFC academy, there are 6 (a little over 10% of the total):

Liam Fraser (who also played in the Whitecaps academy)

Jayden Nelson

Jacen Russell-Rowe (who was released by TFC before turning pro and went to Columbus after college)

Doneil Henry

Mark-Anthony Kaye (who was releasted by TFC before turning pro and went to LAFC after a stint in USL)

Aki Akinola

So two of those players were actually released by TFC before turning pro and had to make it elsewhere and one of them was jointly developed with the Whitecaps.  And none of the 6 are mainstays of the national team.  Henry you could argue was a few years back and Kaye for a short period of time when he was at LAFC.  None are even sure selections these days to the roster no matter starters.

There are 3 others that were signed late in their youth career and spent some time with the reserves (TFC II) and of those only Osorio has stuck with TFC and prospered (but that's not related to the youth set up anyway).

Raheen Edwards

Jonathan Osorio

Jacob Shaffleburg

As a comparison, VFC has 5 (Ahmed, Fraser, Hasel, Adekugbe, and Davies) and CFM (Choiniere, Kone, Crepeau, Pantemis) has 4 youth players in that 48 in spite of having much less to work with.

And from the Toronto area (in TFC's catchment) you have the following 11 on the national side:

Dwayne St. Clair

Kamal Miller

Richie Laryea

Liam Miller

Lucas Cavallini

Junior Hoilett

Alistair Johnson

Derek Cornelius

Cyle Larin

Tajon Buchanan

Theo Corbeanu

You coud make a case for Jonathan David as well but he is from Ottawa so not quite in the catchment.  A few like Hutchinson, Vitoria and Borjan are too old to have been in TFC academy but are from the area.  What stands out is the fact that our best players come from elsewhere other than the 3 academies.

So frankly a quite pathetic record.  Yes, you can argue they edge VFC and CFM but those two have a smaller catchment area.  CFM has done well recently and is growing; VFC you could argue is worse than TFC, especially recently and so sad after having one of the best programs in NA not that long ago.

From observing the players, it seems clear to me that when they graduate to the pro ranks, they are not fully rounded.  They are missing the fundamentals.  It seems as if due to their either greater physical gifts or early development, they can simply bully and dominate other teams so don't refine those skills while a youth player which when they get to the pro ranks becomes glaringly obvoius.  

Considering they get the cream of the cream, they should be doing a lot better.  They should be like Ajax and the Netherlands. 25% or more of the national team should have come through them.  And VFC and CFM should be like PSV and Feyenoord.  As it is, our best players (other than Davies) are developed elsehwhere.  That is pathethic.

We can also make a list of the guys that passed through the TFC academy we assumed would be stars.  The Okellos, Prisos, JMRs, etc....

Still no idea how people were still defending TFC's development up until a few months ago.  None of those guys seem to be around this forum lately.