TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

5 hours ago, Kingston said:

He made $90 k for LAFC last year and got cut by the club.  I'm assuming we're still on the hunt for a number one keeper.

He isnt as good as the 2 guys we had.  He might not even be as good as Gavran....there better be a #1 keeper coming.  

5 hours ago, Kingston said:

At least he cheers for the Leafs?

Maybe  he'd work out great.  I just wish MLSE would stop looking at 30 somethings to fill key roles.  Are there no 23 year old players who we can actually plan on keeping long term?

They can from their academy, but they keep letting them go to other teams !

19 minutes ago, ATM said:

They can from their academy, but they keep letting them go to other teams !

Yeah, I don't entirely get that, either.

I understand not wanting to play six young guys at the same time like they did at the beginning of last season, and not everyone young player will stick, but I don't get TFC's decision making on their younger players who reach the first team.

For example, Liam Fraser should have played half of Bradley's minutes last season and be stepping into the full time role in 2023 with Bradley as the backup.  He's in Qatar but plays club soccer in Belgium instead of Toronto.

They didnt rate Singh very much..I'm not sure how well he made out on his loan to Edmonton.  I dont think he stood out like he should have if he was ready for a bunch of MLS minutes.  What else do they have for CB at TFC2 or academy???  Isnt the cupboard pretty bare?  

57 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

the academy players haven't really been taking advantage of their opportunity at these positions.

On one level, no, they haven't.

On another level, the youngsters are supposed to learn from and be supported by the veterans as they grow into first team starters.  It's pretty hard to suggest that TFC's young defenders have had that opportunity over the past couple of seasons as they've stepped up to the big team.  More like, "You're it.  Figure it out."

Signing a veteran MLS CB is not an indication of giving up on their youth. TFC's defense was a dumpster fire last year. Who do they have at the CB position - MacNaughton, O'Neill, and Luke Singh (Mavinga is out of contract). None of those guys are #1 CB line leaders.  A veteran like Hedges can only help guys like MacNaughton and Singh.  Heck, even on the Canadian team, we're worried about life after Vitoria. TFC's defense has been struggling in life after Drew Moor for a few years now. Hedges is an MLS-version of Vitoria.

I know on this board, everyone wants to maximize Canadian play time, but realistically, what Canadian player can they bring in to fill that #1 CB role? Henry didn't work out. Vitoria probably wants to stay in Portugal for now. CB is Canada's worst position all around. A 30 year old Hedges is a solid choice for them

1 hour ago, rydermike said:

I know on this board, everyone wants to maximize Canadian play time, but realistically, what Canadian player can they bring in to fill that #1 CB role? Henry didn't work out. Vitoria probably wants to stay in Portugal for now. CB is Canada's worst position all around. A 30 year old Hedges is a solid choice for them

Hedges is probably the closest to being a Canadian, he grew up on the other side of Lake Ontario. I would say TFC would be his hometown club. I knew a few season ticket holders from Rochester.

Critics can look at it like this, if the UK won a couple of battles in the War of 1812, he would be Canadian. 😜