TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

4 hours ago, wallflower said:

So Bradley did not get punted but McNaughton did.

They didn't look very good without Bradley on Saturday.

And to me, McNaughton hasn't looked good all season. At best he was average - though he was very cheap at only $86K last season.

Sapong is on about a $half-million. But I fear he's past it with only 5 goals in his last 40 starts. Kerr is a bit better, and is only 20.

Experimental lineup because of dubious roster moves earlier in the season against a top eastern team (philly)...I think they were lucky that MB was not in the lineup or it prob would have been worse. 

Why not give Kerr a chance if there arent any other options, he has showed some nice flashes.  Bringing in the over the hill gang strikers isnt working.  

Kerr is not great as holding the ball up, and they badly missed that ability against Philly with Bradley Sr. making the suicidal decision to play no strikers & an unfit Bernadeschi. He's not really a natural #9 and I don't think his apprenticeship in that area is complete - he can also play other positions too.

Bigger question for me is, what is the point of Diomande at this stage? Or have they concluded that he will never be healthy again?

32 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Bigger question for me is, what is the point of Diomande at this stage? Or have they concluded that he will never be healthy again?

I have to ask what the point of signing Diomande was in the first place.  TFC makes some great signings.  But then they also have a  habit of signing apparently random players who, while not terrible, don't appear to actually be upgrades on guys they already have.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

I have to ask what the point of signing Diomande was in the first place.  TFC makes some great signings.  But then they also have a  habit of signing apparently random players who, while not terrible, don't appear to actually be upgrades on guys they already have.

And they pay a lot for them.

9 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If either Akinola or Diomande was viewed as the answer, they likely wouldn't have made this trade. All about finding a way to do generally OK and reach the playoffs this year by the looks of things.

Like I wrote earlier, I'm not sure why they picked Diomande out of an entire planet full of soccer players.

As for Akinola, I think his window is closing.  He looked very promising initially but he's now 23 and on a "real" contract and isn't scoring goals.  He needs to start putting home his chances or he'll end up as one of those guys who didn't quite pan out.

7 minutes ago, Kingston said:

As for Akinola, I think his window is closing.  He looked very promising initially but he's now 23 and on a "real" contract and isn't scoring goals.  He needs to start putting home his chances or he'll end up as one of those guys who didn't quite pan out.

If they could have moved him, he'd be gone by now.  But the suitors who may have been interested last season looked to have disappeared.  You'd think he could be moved in a Cristian Dajome, we-eat-the-contract similar type of deal, a house money kinda flyer for another MLS team, but that hasn't happened; at least, not yet.  Eventually, things go the way of mutual termination if a player who is seen as redundant at his current club wants to get on with his career somewhere else.

5 hours ago, Kingston said:

Bob Bradley likes to sign guys he already knows, which can end up being the downfall.

Examples are overpaying to bring in Mark Anthony Kaye,bringing in Diomande, bringing in Tomas Romero, 

19 hours ago, nfitz said:

They didn't look very good without Bradley on Saturday.

And to me, McNaughton hasn't looked good all season. At best he was average - though he was very cheap at only $86K last season.

Sapong is on about a $half-million. But I fear he's past it with only 5 goals in his last 40 starts. Kerr is a bit better, and is only 20.

I was referring to the coach, not the player.

McNaughton has been a disaster pretty much. Time to move on for sure.

9 hours ago, Kingston said:

Like I wrote earlier, I'm not sure why they picked Diomande out of an entire planet full of soccer players.

You know exactly why BB brought him in...4-5 years ago he was a good player for Bob, but has done very little since and doesnt even look to be healthy enough to contribute anything.  BB was a smart guy but decisions like this make a person wonder eh?  Like you said, a whole planet of guys he had to look through.  

52 minutes ago, wallflower said:

McNaughton has been a disaster pretty much. Time to move on for sure.

Yeah sure, McNaughton is the disaster, not Salcedo, Diomonde, Dwyer, Soteldo, Kemar Lawerence or the pending disaster brewing with Insigne.  You brought in a guy for damn near the league minimum as a 3-4th CB and he ended up starting a lot of games when DP Salcedo shit the bed and cost TFC a pile of cash.  How can taking a flyer on a dirt cheap depth player be a disaster??? Was he a home run..MLS starter..No, but compared to other moves TFC make, that wasnt a bad one bringing him in.  

On 4/26/2023 at 5:23 PM, Bison44 said:

Was he a home run..MLS starter..No, but compared to other moves TFC make, that wasnt a bad one bringing him in.  

He is a cheap back up contributor at this level and hopefully will continue in that role in Nashville.  Not a NT calibre player for us but hopefully will remain in MLS in a journeyman role.

This club has had more than its fair share of bad signings over its entire existence, for sure.  

Edited by BearcatSA

5 hours ago, shorty said:

Dude, the list of true disasters is so much longer than this....   (I agree MacNaughton is not one of them)

I was trying to keep the list down to just the last few years..I didnt want to go back to Mista, Gilberto or Gomez.  

On 4/26/2023 at 8:23 PM, Bison44 said:

Yeah sure, McNaughton is the disaster, not Salcedo, Diomonde, Dwyer, Soteldo, Kemar Lawerence or the pending disaster brewing with Insigne.

Why are you lumping Kemar Lawrence in there?  I thought he played pretty well when he was here.

28 minutes ago, rkomar said:

Why are you lumping Kemar Lawrence in there?  I thought he played pretty well when he was here.

Well if you want bring in a guy from europe, sign him to a 3 year deal and have them quit and not show up after one year, I guess he was pretty good.  We got forced into trading him for 50k and a USL scrub.   You dont see a pattern, they sign guys with much fanfare that should be building blocks and half of them cant wait to get the hell out.  It almost like they arent doing their due diligence on these guys, cause it keeps happening.