TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

2 hours ago, wallflower said:

Not able to watch... are the tfc defenders mucking it up or team effort?

All of the above. First Philly goal came off a Rosted clearance that was redirected into the net by MacNaughton. Second goal deflected off him. Aside from being extremely unlucky, he’s misread numerous plays. At some point, Philly went on a 2 v 1 cause MacNaughton decided to press high as one of the last men back and got passed with a 1-2 combination. Also gave Johnson an awkward back pass when Carranza was sprinting a few meters behind him. Johnson has also been straight garbage. Kaye has been inconsistent. This team lacks cohesion. Mistimed runs, simple passes being botched, guys running into each other’s lanes. It’s embarrassing.

Edited by phresh

1 hour ago, phresh said:

All of the above. First Philly goal came off a Rosted clearance that was redirected into the net by MacNaughton. Second goal deflected off him. Aside from being extremely unlucky, he’s misread numerous plays. At some point, Philly went on a 2 v 1 cause MacNaughton decided to press high as one of the last men back and got passed with a 1-2 combination. Also gave Johnson an awkward back pass when Carranza was sprinting a few meters behind him. Johnson has also been straight garbage. Kaye has been inconsistent. This team lacks cohesions. Mistimed runs, simple passes being botched, guys running into each other’s lanes. It’s embarrassing.

Very nice! Thank you. Was able to get on the tube just before goal 4. (McNaughton off. He had another doozy of a game for TFC like that... late last season? Own goalled ++.)

34 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

But wait!! Montreal scored a goal. Oops! An own goal by Red Bulls. At least there is some small positive for Canadian footie fans.  😝

And now a real goal by Montreal - Choiniere.  

TFC needs some serious change - perhaps Bob Bradley has lost the team.

I only saw about half the game (flipping back and forth between this and the Leaf game) but that first half looked about as atrocious as possible, not helped by the bizarro move to not play a #9/outlet striker against one of the teams to play against in their own building. Wileman said Bernadeschi was struggling for fitness during the week, so if he wasn't healthy (and he looked like he could barely move out there) why was he starting while all the strikers were sitting on the bench? Those struck me as suicidal coaching decisions.

Petretta was poor tonight, and while he has been half-decent defensively, I'm still waiting to see his first successful cross. It looks to me in the 2nd half like Laryea & JMR were getting in each other's way from playing the same position, but I guess that's what can happen when JMR has been training as Laryea's deputy the whole season and then starts to get thrown into different positions each game.

The 2nd Philly goal should have been disallowed, not for the foul on Johnson but because it was off an illegally-taken corner kick as the ball was outside the corner circle altogether. Not sure if that is something that can be included in the VAR review though.

That first half was about as a bad a 45 minutes that I have seen in a long, long time.  Horrible play in every department.  Second best to every ball, out-competed, and some guys looked completely out of their depth.  The only thing surprising was that it was only four goals conceded.  When is Hedges back?  

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

That first half was about as a bad a 45 minutes that I have seen in a long, long time.  Horrible play in every department.  Second best to every ball, out-competed, and some guys looked completely out of their depth.  The only thing surprising was that it was only four goals conceded.  When is Hedges back?  

He is in concussion protocol so I am not sure if anyone knows. From what I saw, he would have been if minimal help last night in that first half unless they played him as a target striker who could act as an outlet and hold the ball up. It was absurd how quick and often the ball was given straight back to Philly when Toronto had a goal kick or possession in their own half. 

18 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

As weird as it sounds I actually didn’t mind how we played and it could be promising, as long as the defense can play better and Macnaugton doesn’t play I think some results might start coming.

The only way it is promising is that there's almost no way such an abomination could be duplicated again lol The passing was horrendous, no structure etc

Yeah, when I first saw it reported that we'd acquired Sapong, I assumed that one of the strikers had gone the other way. But a CB? Makes no sense, even if they are promoting one of the academy kids to the first team as a replacement or something. Edit - never mind, I just saw the other trade news.

Hopefully McNaughton can pull a Shaffelburg in Nashville, though kind of sucks that his last TFC match saw the ball ping off him twice and into the net, which isn't the greatest way to go out.

Edited by Gian-Luca

1 hour ago, Metro said:

Because they have 5-6 forwards under contract and none of them are competent. 🙂

Congratulations to Lukas who will now have his career revitalized.

We will see all the best to him but since Matt Hedges got injured and he came in the past two games has not exactly looked comfortable back there .

Edited by SoccMan

3 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

We will see all the best to him but since Matt Hedges got injured and he came in the past two games has exactly looked comfortable back there .

MacNaughton is 28. More often than not, that's an age where WYSIWYG. A top guy in CPL, not good enough to be an MLS regular. He can always prove me wrong, but it's not generally how career arcs tend to work.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

MacNaughton is 28. More often than not, that's an age where WYSIWYG. A top guy in CPL, not good enough to be an MLS regular. He can always prove me wrong, but it's not generally how career arcs tend to work.

I have to agree you watch the calmness and positioning of a guy like Matt Hedges then watch a guy like MacNaughton and you see the drop in quality unfortunately.