TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

13 hours ago, narduch said:

The funny thing is the rest of the world is moving away from having most matches at a set time.

For instance I'm a bit shocked that Serie A no longer has 6 or 7 games at 9am on Sundays. I miss the good old days of watching those games and when a goal was scored in another match a horn would go off and they would show the highlights 

Exactly. In Spain now, no two games are ever simultaneous. Except for a rare midweek fixture or Cup ties. There's one on Friday, one Monday which most fans hate, then 4 each Saturday and Sunday. I think it's about copying EPL, maximizing viewers, but also realizing the international market has varied time zones.

Like many here, I'd often watch the other Canadian MLS teams on TSN if my team wasn't then.

1 hour ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Is Alonso Coello a solution to spell Michael Bradley or Mark Anthony Kay?  On his blog, John Molinaro is suggesting that TFC may sign him to a first team contract.

He was decent in sub minutes on Saturday but he really seemed like a passenger the game before.  Not sure if he would be adequate cover for either on a long term basis.

It took 3 years, but media is finally saying and writing what needs to be said and written regarding Bradley.  Props to DeGuzman for speaking up regarding two major TFC flaws in two weeks.  I feel like he's been holding it in too long and has finally had it.

https://canadiansoccerdaily.com/2023/04/02/canmnt-legend-julian-de-guzman-and-tsn-analyst-kevin-kilbane-critical-of-bob-and-michael-bradleys-father-son-dynamic-at-toronto-fc/

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

And the problem isn't that he's a bad player but he should not be playing 90 minutes every night.

TFC also has to figure out who will replace him and/or share the position.

One issue is they got rid of four players that could spell him for minutes (Delgado, Fraser, Okello, Priso) in the last 2 years and never really replaced them with anyone other than Kaye who really is more a 8 than a 6.  It’s as if Bradley senior wanted to clear the decks for his son.  The fact that his son at his age had the most minutes played for TFC in 2021 and 2022 speaks volumes.  If they had any of those 4, they could take some of his starts to give him a breather and definitely sub in for him at the 60 minute mark to close out games when Bradley junior fades.  Older sides fade in the last 30 and it’s not surprising that they keep on giving up leads in the second half of matches.  

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

One issue is they got rid of four players that could spell him for minutes (Delgado, Fraser, Okello, Priso) in the last 2 years and never really replaced them with anyone other than Kaye who really is more a 8 than a 6.  It’s as if Bradley senior wanted to clear the decks for his son.  The fact that his son at his age had the most minutes played for TFC in 2021 and 2022 speaks volumes.  If they had any of those 4, they could take some of his starts to give him a breather and definitely sub in for him at the 60 minute mark to close out games when Bradley junior fades.  Older sides fade in the last 30 and it’s not surprising that they keep on giving up leads in the second half of matches.  

I don't know if he fades, he just doesn't look like he can play at this level anymore. He would be an average CPL player, all those minutes he's played have taken a toll on him, he is too slow now.

I respect what he's done for the organization, so I believe he should be coming off the bench at this stage of his career. Maybe the last 10 minutes of a game to hold the lead.

I'm sure you can find a suitable replacement through trade or the waiver wire.

10 hours ago, El Hombre said:

He was decent in sub minutes on Saturday but he really seemed like a passenger the game before.  Not sure if he would be adequate cover for either on a long term basis.

Passenger? Coello has been excellent in both his appearances. Made smart passes, in the right spots, nothing super amazing or risky, but for a loan player you expect them to play a bit more safe. He's not the fastest player but he makes good reads to help overcome that. He's been one of the bright spots in that midfield. He's playing better overall than both Bradley and Kaye, who have been extremely inconsistent and below expectations for the last year. He's no superstar, but given the state of TFC's midfield, he should probably be a starter there for them right now. 

An away game at a Nashville team that is three points up on us in the standings.

TFC has been incredibly frustrating to watch so far this season.  On the upside, the team is still mid-table despite feeling like it is underperforming compared to what it could do.  So it feels like we're achieving our bottom end and could go up from here as opposed to being lucky to be so far up the table.  For that to be true, though, the team still has to figure out how to become it's best version.

Insigne is still listed as out in the injury report.

17 minutes ago, Kingston said:

An away game at a Nashville team that is three points up on us in the standings.

TFC has been incredibly frustrating to watch so far this season.  On the upside, the team is still mid-table despite feeling like it is underperforming compared to what it could do.  So it feels like we're achieving our bottom end and could go up from here as opposed to being lucky to be so far up the table.  For that to be true, though, the team still has to figure out how to become it's best version.

Insigne is still listed as out in the injury report.

I wonder where they'd be with the same starters at CB and keeper as last season?

On 4/3/2023 at 9:26 PM, rydermike said:

Passenger? Coello has been excellent in both his appearances. Made smart passes, in the right spots, nothing super amazing or risky, but for a loan player you expect them to play a bit more safe. He's not the fastest player but he makes good reads to help overcome that. He's been one of the bright spots in that midfield. He's playing better overall than both Bradley and Kaye, who have been extremely inconsistent and below expectations for the last year. He's no superstar, but given the state of TFC's midfield, he should probably be a starter there for them right now. 

He reminds me of Osorio when he was given a chance back in the day and took it and ran away with it. This kid like Osorio back in the day is making the most  of his opportunity so far in the little time he has played. Let’s see how he does from here. But these are the kind of performances a player has to give when given a chance . Can he keep it up is he the real deal well let’s see but so far so good .

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

TFC looks poor, no pressure on the ball, and Bradley, sheesh. Just based on highlights but that wasn't very snappy.

I thought Kaye and Osorio had good games in the midfield which covered the fact Bradley was a passenger the whole match. Even when on the few occasions the defense play a ball to him in the center, he would just lose it under pressure. It seems he is now so slow the person pressing him could just run around him and take the ball. This was the first full match I have watched TFC this year (I have kinda given up watching CFM in spite of all the Canadians for TFC while also continuing to watch the Caps) and I see what people are saying about him. When Coello came on, I thought for sure it would be for Bradley but it was for Servannia who didn’t do much but that was still more than Bradley. Coello I thought was good.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

TFC looks poor, no pressure on the ball, and Bradley, sheesh. Just based on highlights but that wasn't very snappy.

I love that a minute into the “highlights” it’s two unforced giveaways by Bradley one after the other. They don’t even follow up with the rest of the plays fully — just clips of the giveaways, lol. Didn’t watch the game so either someone in the MLS video department really has it out for MB, or those were truly 2 of his three highlights of the game (the other being the header at the end). Either way, yes, head-shake-worthy. 

5 minutes ago, shorty said:

I love that a minute into the “highlights” it’s two unforced giveaways by Bradley one after the other. They don’t even follow up with the rest of the plays fully — just clips of the giveaways, lol. Didn’t watch the game so either someone in the MLS video department really has it out for MB, or those were truly 2 of his three highlights of the game (the other being the header at the end). Either way, yes, head-shake-worthy. 

I watched it.  Honestly, forgot he was on the field a lot as he rarely touched the ball and when he did, he gave it away. And it wasn’t that he was shutting people down on D either.

18 hours ago, shorty said:

Even when watching live they were very obvious. I think there were others early in the game too. He eventually settled down and had a really good defensive game along with the rest of the midfield.