TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

27 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Has Sean Johnson looked good in other games so far this year.  He looks like. Passenger out there and it really lucky that the Quakes can’t hit the net. Obviously it isn’t all his fault but I t could easily be 4-0 just based on the play of the second half and the chances TFC have been giving up.  

He has been good. Definitely saved them points so far.

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Like against Vancouver, SJE were able.to play in too many dangerous crosses from the Espinoza side of the field and created serious problems from corners as well, but TFC rode their fortune and keeping in the second half.

I think Franklin was a problem on the left side.  He usually hung out near the middle, leaving the winger plenty of time to put in crosses.  When he did get out near the winger he would deflect the ball over the goal line, leaving SJ with even more dangerous corners landing in the goal mouth area.  I take it that he usually plays on the right, so I need to cut him some slack, but things were definitely getting dicey for TFC when SJ attacked down his side.

This weekend's game against Charlotte is as close to a must win as you can get five games in to the season.  I know we're missing a bunch of players, but it is at home against one of the weaker teams in the league.  This is the type of game that TFC simply has to find a way to win if we're going to move from being a bad team to being a good one.

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

This weekend's game against Charlotte is as close to a must win as you can get five games in to the season.  I know we're missing a bunch of players, but it is at home against one of the weaker teams in the league.  This is the type of game that TFC simply has to find a way to win if we're going to move from being a bad team to being a good one.

The CanMNT boys aren't back for the weekend?

2 minutes ago, QBCS said:

How good is Charlotte this year?

They are 1-3-1 (W-L-D) with a -5 goal differential compared to our 1-1-3 with a +1 goal differential.  The MLS power rankings have them 21st (up five from last week) compared to our 18th (down one).  I don't follow the non-Canadian MLS teams that closely, but they seem to be a weaker team than us. 

This early in the season, though, both teams appear to still be figuring themselves out.  I mean, a loss for Charlotte and things are starting to look pretty bleak for them whereas a win puts them just one game below 0.500.  Likewise, a loss for us doesn't look very good whereas a win puts us as high as fourth place in the conference with only a single defeat on the season.

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

This doesn't make any sense.

Of course the CanMNT guys will be available this Saturday 

Good.  I just thought I'd read somewhere that they weren't.  But I'm happy to be wrong.

Edited by Kingston

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Apparently TFC are pulling their Academy teams out of the US based leagues they play in.

Holy shit, whats the bird going to say about this??  TFC pulling out of US leagues to play in CPL owned L10.  Good thing someone else was helping create a regional pyramid in Canada for TFC to have their teams in.  Yayyyyy for the spirit of cooperation to help soccer in canada!!   

19 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Holy shit, whats the bird going to say about this??  TFC pulling out of US leagues to play in CPL owned L10.  Good thing someone else was helping create a regional pyramid in Canada for TFC to have their teams in.  Yayyyyy for the spirit of cooperation to help soccer in canada!!   

Who cares? I don't like many of his viewpoints but there's no need to bait him either.

I only see this imbecile's posts when somebody responds to them. Worth bearing in mind that one of the reasons I get grief from guys like this was the suggestion made back around 2018 or so that TFC should be able to field a separately branded affiliate team in CanPL rather than use leagues like USL League One or MLS Next Pro but now for some reason I am supposed to be upset when TFC's academy teams compete in Canada.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot