TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

On 3/17/2023 at 8:43 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Let's replace Michael Bradley with somebody about the same age:

doubt it somehow.

He was offered a renewal by the club, one year at 7 million euros. 

If he could get 5 million for each of 2-3 years he might make a move. Word here was that Inter Miami had the inside track, but the press here usually just blindly repeats Florida or California teams, plus NYCFC, as possible destinations for many European players. 

Have to remember he's a one club player, then his father also played for Barça, he's never left his working class town on the outskirts of Barcelona.

Busquets is an amazing player, he has great vision, he can keep you in possession and you can build through him. But he's slow, put him beside Bradley and you are crawling. He is still a strong playmaker and is still learning to look for assists, mostly in the new Xavi system trying to be a bit more direct, but has no goal scoring either.

10 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Ok but you know that we have become a soccer nation when big cities in Canada can support an MLS team and a CPL team . In a city as big as Toronto no reason why you can’t get at least 3 to 5000 a game to a CPL match. Like a said build a proper stadium and people will come .

Think that's wishful thinking. The Blizzard and Lynx both had to move out of Varsity stadium when it was an ideal location for pro soccer because they weren't drawing large enough crowds to justify the extra rental compared to Centennial Park in Etobicoke. That was back when there was no TFC to compete with. Is it any different in hockey when an OHL or AHL team is involved?

On 3/18/2023 at 4:27 PM, SoccMan said:

Ok but you know that we have become a soccer nation when big cities in Canada can support an MLS team and a CPL team . In a city as big as Toronto no reason why you can’t get at least 3 to 5000 a game to a CPL match. Like a said build a proper stadium and people will come .

That's really optimistic.  Yes it is Metropolitan (or catchment) area of 6-8 Mill people but there are many other pro sports teams in the GTA in MLB, NBA, CFL and NHL.   While the NHL team is the most expensive ticket,   that doesnt mean that that popularity accrues to to the local AHL team and to CHL teams that have been in the GTA.    There are AHL teams here and a G league team and they don't get the greatest of support.   CHL teams have struggled getting fans in the GTA.  The market is saturated.  There is only so much print space and air time out there to digest so its easy to get lost and forgotten.

Hence,  I don't agree that this area (or any Canadian market or city for that matter)  is a bottomless pit of support. A pie can only be cut in so many slices,   you cant have one team trying to cannibalize the other and that's what will happen, and both can come out weaker.   Because that's what could potentially happen here.

Edited by Free kick

On 3/18/2023 at 4:27 PM, SoccMan said:

I'm not arguing what I'd like to see or how it seems things should be.  I used to go watch CSL Blizzard games and Toronto Lynx games with crowds of 2000 or 3000.  I never understood why they weren't better supported by area soccer fans.  But TFC showed up in MLS and suddenly the 2000 people who came out to Lynx games became a sold out 18 000 for TFC.  It isn't the stadium - it's the market, whether we CPL fans like it or not.

3 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Would be okay with me.

For the money they're spending on Insigne (or even for less) TFC could get a player who will make a bigger impact on the field.  Insigne is obviously a very good player but the value per dollar is questionable.

That is what I am thinking as well.  If they can recoup the investment I think it would be a good move. He hasn’t had the sort of impact at this level they were hoping for.  

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Would be okay with me.

For the money they're spending on Insigne (or even for less) TFC could get a player who will make a bigger impact on the field.  Insigne is obviously a very good player but the value per dollar is questionable.

It would have to be a purchase and not a loan. TFC don't want to be stuck with an even older Insigne especially if he didn't perform in Turkiye.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is what I am thinking as well.  If they can recoup the investment I think it would be a good move. He hasn’t had the sort of impact at this level they were hoping for.  

Not only has he not had the expected impact, he looks disinterested. Move him if you can.

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

Not only has he not had the expected impact, he looks disinterested. Move him if you can.

Came to a crappy team last year and it’s not like he didn’t put up decent numbers , also went through a family tragedy . Has not played enough to see if he has had the expected impact or if he seems disinterested. Has barely played yet this early season because of injury . I don’t think he is going anywhere and let’s judge him once he gets a good amount of games in . Are they paying him too much yes , but contract is done let’s see how he does when he gets back.

6 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Came to a crappy team last year and it’s not like he didn’t put up decent numbers , also went through a family tragedy . Has not played enough to see if he has had the expected impact or if he seems disinterested. Has barely played yet this early season because of injury . I don’t think he is going anywhere and let’s judge him once he gets a good amount of games in . Are they paying him too much yes , but contract is done let’s see how he does when he gets back.

Good points.  Okay, I'll cut him some slack.

Cripes they only just got him in last summer.  The big signing, top rated player in MLS etc etc..ughhh surprise, his heart isnt in it, he has "nagging" injuries that keep him on sidelines and already rumors that he is on his way out.  DO your GD homework and at least bring in players serious about playing here.  

Has Sean Johnson looked good in other games so far this year.  He looks like. Passenger out there and it really lucky that the Quakes can’t hit the net. Obviously it isn’t all his fault but I t could easily be 4-0 just based on the play of the second half and the chances TFC have been giving up.