TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

2 hours ago, kacbru said:

Just watched the highlights, but similar to last year, on the goals against you can always see Bradley waving about in no man's land. He is close enough to make it seem like he can do something, but not close enough to actually do anything. 

I thought they improved their CBs? 

Where did you see highlights?  There was nothing on the mls site?

On the Insigne injury.

I don't have a degree in Kinesiology, but I thought TFC handled its pre-season poorly.

For every match up to the last pre-season game the starters only played 45 minutes. It wasn't until the last pre-season game that they ramped up the minutes.

bradley was the best of the three in the midfield and one of if not the best of tfc yesterday...sent great balls including one in the first to akinola who should have done much better and the ball in the second that led to the penalty...kaye lost balls easily and didnt track back and osorio was invisible and then doesnt take his player which turns into the game winner

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

bradley was the best of the three in the midfield and one of if not the best of tfc yesterday...sent great balls including one in the first to akinola who should have done much better and the ball in the second that led to the penalty...kaye lost balls easily and didnt track back and osorio was invisible and then doesnt take his player which turns into the game winner

I guess the M in Big_M stands for Michael. 😜

Michael, you have to realize Father Time always wins, and you've been losing for years now.

I believe Daddy will have an assistant coach or front office job waiting for you.

Several months ago, over on the In Soccer We Trust podcast, Heath Pearce and Jimmy Conrad mentioned an incident that happened between Bob Sr and Pablo Mastroeni back when he was coaching the US team. Essentially, Pablo called out Bob and told him that no one should have a guaranteed starting spot on the national team, in reference to Michael. After that, he never got called up again. Michael started all but one game under his dad's tenure. There's a better chance of Shania Twain dropping onto my fucking roof and telling me she loves me than Michael losing his starting job with BB around.

That game was, from a TFC perspective, a textbook case of why it can be very frustrating to be a soccer fan.

Give up an early goal, just like last year.

See an injury to a major player.

Come back from behind and look like you're going to win it.

Collapse at the end with terrible defending to give away three points.

(From DC's perspective, of course, it is an example of why it can be a great joy to be a soccer fan.  And a neutral probably enjoyed the match.)

In a bit more detail, I don't get why Bradley didn't make some subs after we went up 2-1.  Should Johnson have had that first DC goal?  It was a good shot and all but it was from almost straight on and was from outside the box.  Akinola has to do better at burying chances.

21 hours ago, Big_M said:

I thought Bradley made some great passes but he was the reason why DC were able to have some nice runs through the midfield that resulted in chances and goals.

Kaye worked really hard in the midfield, covered passing lanes and made some nice tackles but when he got the ball he made some terrible passes.

I agree Osorio was invisible but sometimes on the defensive side that is a positive. if he is covering passing lanes and covering his man he may just have been played around.

All 3 were poor.
Edit: word

Edited by Ruffian

34 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I thought Bradley made some great passes but he was the reason why DC were able to have some nice runs through the midfield that resulted in chances and goals.

Kaye worked really hard in the midfield, covered passing lanes and made some nice tackles but when he got the ball he made some terrible passes.

I agree Osorio was invisible but sometimes on the defensive side that is a positive. if he is covering passing lanes and covering his man he may just have been played around.

All 3 were poor.
Edit: word

I agree with this for the most part.  I actually thought Kaye was the best of the three but maybe his goal gave me a bit of bias.

I thought Akinola had an encouraging game, definitely better than Diomande.  I thought Rosted was horrible (man, do we have to go through this again!) and don't get what the fuss was all about regarding Petreta.  He looked no better than Petrasso was last year.

18 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I agree with this for the most part.  I actually thought Kaye was the best of the three but maybe his goal gave me a bit of bias.

I thought Akinola had an encouraging game, definitely better than Diomande.  I thought Rosted was horrible (man, do we have to go through this again!) and don't get what the fuss was all about regarding Petreta.  He looked no better than Petrasso was last year.

I didn't see the match but when you have a new keeper and three new back line starters, it's going to take some time to settle in. 

I was away up north at a winter cottage with no tv or internet over the weekend, so only watched the game on PVR last night. I agree as someone mentioned above that Johnson should have done better on the 1st goal, perhaps he was unsighted but it looked to me that he reacted quite late to it from a shot that far out. I suspect he didn't know much about the new DC player who took it and perhaps wasn't expecting a strike from there. However, in addition to Kaye's contributions to that first goal (giving the ball away and then pressing on the opposite side of the field that were noted on the broadcast), things were compounded by Bradley somewhat insanely seeing that his two fellow midfielders were already up the field so he decided "Ah, what the hell, I'll vacate the centre of midfield too!" by running towards the far sideline, presumably because he thought they were going to play the ball down the sidelines or something?

2nd goal I think is down to the Norwegian, although someone abandoned his man to allow the cross because Laryea was left with a 2-1 on the wing and there was no way he could cover both. My PVR ran out before the third goal (incidentally, I didn't really see where the 8 minutes of injury time came from, but whatever, TFC can't give up two goals in the last 9 minutes of play and expect to win.

As for the other newcomers, Hedges was good, Diomande was invisible, and I agree that Petretta didn't especially look better than Petrasso. I also feel that Bradley Sr. should have made more subs as DC's influx after they went behind helped to turn the tide very late. He only made one non-injury enforced substitution the whole match.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I was away up north at a winter cottage with no tv or internet over the weekend, so only watched the game on PVR last night. I agree as someone mentioned above that Johnson should have done better on the 1st goal, perhaps he was unsighted but it looked to me that he reacted quite late to it from a shot that far out. I suspect he didn't know much about the new DC player who took it and perhaps wasn't expecting a strike from there. However, in addition to Kaye's contributions to that first goal (giving the ball away and then pressing on the opposite side of the field that were noted on the broadcast), things were compounded by Bradley somewhat insanely seeing that his two fellow midfielders were already up the field so he decided "Ah, what the hell, I'll vacate the centre of midfield too!" by running towards the far sideline, presumably because he thought they were going to play the ball down the sidelines or something?

2nd goal I think is down to the Norwegian, although someone abandoned his man to allow the cross because Laryea was left with a 2-1 on the wing and there was no way he could cover both. My PVR ran out before the third goal (incidentally, I didn't really see where the 8 minutes of injury time came from, but whatever, TFC can't give up two goals in the last 9 minutes of play and expect to win.

As for the other newcomers, Hedges was good, Diomande was invisible, and I agree that Petretta didn't especially look better than Petrasso. I also feel that Bradley Sr. should have made more subs as DC's influx after they went behind helped to turn the tide very late. He only made one non-injury enforced substitution the whole match.

On the second, I think that was on Osorio as he was the closest mid and should have spotted the danger and slid out to stop that. Also, it happened so slowly either he or one of the central d had so much time to spot that and shut it down. I wonder if it was a lack of legs thing. I suspect a side that it’s mostly over 30 is going to run out of gas at the end (especially without any real use of subs) and I suspect you will see this consistently this year where they give up late goals.