TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

Diomande is well past his prime now though.  He didn’t play a full season in Qatar and his most recent full season before that was 2018/2019 in MLS.  

I think he’s just being counted on for spot backup minutes.   Right now is a trial to see if Akinola is going to make it or not.  If he performs he’s our striker and if he doesn’t then we will make a move in the June window.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

but that kind of begs the question why Dallas would want Jimenez instead of him after what happened in the second half of last season.

I think Jiminez can score in MLS but that he was just never going to be a good fit with the Italians playing on the wings. That style just didn't get put the ball in the right places for him to score.

21 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I think Jiminez can score in MLS but that he was just never going to be a good fit with the Italians playing on the wings. That style just didn't get put the ball in the right places for him to score.

I think TFC had opportunities to get Cavallini or Larin, I think either would have worked well with the Italians.

It's good to see that both players are finally getting opportunities abroad.

On 2/18/2023 at 6:33 AM, narduch said:

Yup. Pandering yo Italian-Canadians has been a success 

But yet how many Italian Canadians are on our national team ? I’m of Italian heritage and for how it’s seems from the outside that Italian Canadians are so into soccer and that TFC can bring in name Italians to TFC and sell more tickets , looking at our Canadian national team and not an Italian Canadian in sight . Just to clarify I couldn’t care less what the heritage of our national team players are in the end I just want the best players . However, look at a lot of NHL rosters and can’t help in noticing the amount of Italian last names . You can almost put out a decent Canadian national hockey team with mainly Italian Canadian players , you would be hard pressed to put a decent League 1 Ontario team with mainly Italian Canadian players .

Edited by SoccMan

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Seems like this new guy is another project. 23 isn't that young.

If he had a Maple Leaf on his passport, he would be considered a late bloomer with still a lot of upside. 

67 appearances in five seasons, with loan outs interspersed.  Toss up as to how he'll do, I guess.

Edited by BearcatSA

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

But yet how many Italian Canadians are on our national team ? I’m of Italian heritage and for how it’s seems from the outside that Italian Canadians are so into soccer and that TFC can bring in name Italians to TFC and sell more tickets , looking at our Canadian national team and not an Italian Canadian in sight . Just to clarify I couldn’t care less what the heritage of our national team players are in the end I just want the best players . However, look at a lot of NHL rosters and can’t help in noticing the amount of Italian last names . You can almost put out a decent Canadian national hockey team with mainly Italian Canadian players , you would be hard pressed to put a decent League 1 Ontario team with mainly Italian Canadian players .

I know Cavallini's background is Argentine, but he's Italian if you go way back. 😜

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I think there's a bit of a pattern where first and second generation immigrants play the sport that they're familiar with from the old country.....football. However, as you get further and further from Patient Zero, in an immigration sense, there's no greater chance of the kids choosing football over hockey, baseball, or whatever else than in the general population.

Jordan Perruzza is from Woodbridge so I think TFC have an Italian-Canadian on the main roster. Julian Altobelli would be another on TFC II. The Petrasso brothers would be other relatively recent examples of Italian-Canadians from the GTA carving out pro soccer careers with Michael having played for the CMNT after leaving TFC Academy for QPR.

Edit: CF Montreal have Sean Rea, while the Whitecaps have Matteo Campagna so looks like the Italian community is still doing OK on producing pro level players in a Canadian context.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

19 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Diomande is well past his prime now though.  He didn’t play a full season in Qatar and his most recent full season before that was 2018/2019 in MLS.  

I think he’s just being counted on for spot backup minutes.   Right now is a trial to see if Akinola is going to make it or not.  If he performs he’s our striker and if he doesn’t then we will make a move in the June window.

Just feels like other than Hedges, all the new signings come with huge question marks.

Meanwhile most fan boards have found a way to positively spin each move.

Its basically 3 years since Diomande did anything of significance.

Maybe I'm just over-reacting and my usual cynical side is too strong.

19 hours ago, gator said:

I know it's not going to happen for many reasons discussed on here  and every other NA soccer platform ad nauseam but imagine how much more interesting the league would be if they had promotion and relegation? When you don't even play all the teams in your league at least once it could be a sign that there are too many teams in your league!

Just following up on this.

TFC will only play 6 of the 14 Western teams this season.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Just feels like other than Hedges, all the new signings come with huge question marks.

Meanwhile most fan boards have found a way to positively spin each move.

Its basically 3 years since Diomande did anything of significance.

Maybe I'm just over-reacting and my usual cynical side is too strong.

I am hoping Diomande struggles while TFC still has success giving the opportunity for Akinola to feature!

46 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

TFC give up 2 goals in added time to lose 3-2 against crappy DC United and Insigne went off injured at 30’.

It’s crazy how poor of a team TFC is considering their huge wage bill.

And why did we sell Luca Petrasso. Home grown contract, young and had a great 2022 season......we could have used him today !!

1 hour ago, Soccerpro2 said:

TFC give up 2 goals in added time to lose 3-2 against crappy DC United and Insigne went off injured at 30’.

It’s crazy how poor of a team TFC is considering their huge wage bill.

Insigne was a horrible signing, I said this before he can't handle the physicality of the league. He is also very injury prone at this point of his career.

With the money TFC spent on him, they could of got almost any player in the world.

I think Haaland would've highly considered that amount of cash.

6 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Just watched the highlights, but similar to last year, on the goals against you can always see Bradley waving about in no man's land. He is close enough to make it seem like he can do something, but not close enough to actually do anything. 

I thought they improved their CBs? 

I know Bradley is a legacy player at this point.

He should be coming off the bench though, he shouldn't play every minute of every game.