TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

1 hour ago, Metro said:

Good stuff, that sounds about right G-L

I'm a bit more optimistic than most when comes to Bradley Jr. taking on a different role.  I've never seen him as a selfish player.  He took pay cut so the team could improve; I can see him finally agreeing to take a step back if it'll help the team win.  As for Bradley Sr., he has something to prove this year.  Scraping by into 7th place is not going to cut it if we are to believe what Manning says about the team's goals are true.

The key for me is MAK, as Ozzie suggested above.  He HAS to step up and show he can command the no. 6 position.

Given your optimism, what are your expectations for the team this year?

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Hedges and Johnson address the biggest weakness from last season.  

Hedges should help, but we also thought Salceido would be the answer too.  I still feel queasy about the defense.  If we have to rely on Oneill or Mcnaughton to start for long periods I cant see how we wont end up on the bottom half of the table fighting for a playoff spot.  Maybe we can win a bunch of 4-3 games, it'll be fun to watch i guess. 

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Hedges should help, but we also thought Salceido would be the answer too.  I still feel queasy about the defense.  If we have to rely on Oneill or Mcnaughton to start for long periods I cant see how we wont end up on the bottom half of the table fighting for a playoff spot.  Maybe we can win a bunch of 4-3 games, it'll be fun to watch i guess. 

Hopefully Hedges can lead the line like Moor did.  I think they definitely need another guy in that mix, however.

3 hours ago, Kingston said:

I meant more like, where do you predict they will finish this year?

MLS is so competitive, a couple bounces go their way. No one gets injured. I can see them at the top of the table.

If they have some injuries, the Italians aren't motivated, McNaughton is a starting CB, and Bradley keeps playing his son in every single minute of every game. . I can see them finishing bottom of the table also.

That means a completely different goalkeeper, back four, front three and one out of three central midfielders in the preferred starting lineup from the opening game last season. Only Osorio and Bradley are the exceptions depending on how you view Victor Vazquez's role at this point. A DP signing still to go. Have to think a long term replacement for Bradley Jnr is the missing piece of the puzzle now.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:20 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That means a completely different goalkeeper, back four, front three and one out of three central midfielders in the preferred starting lineup from the opening game last season. Only Osorio and Bradley are the exceptions depending on how you view Victor Vazquez's role at this point. A DP signing still to go. Have to think a long term replacement for Bradley Jnr is the missing piece of the puzzle now.

I'm not sure TFC will sign a DP right now.  That's a $600+ k hit against the cap for a cap constrained team.  Also, while a DP-level player is always welcome, I'm not sure it is what they most need right now as compared to what they could add to the team with a couple of $300 k players.

My guess would be they hope JMR is ready to take on the right back starting role when Richie Laryea's loan expires and that would free up cap space to do something extra elsewhere on the roster in the summer window when the cap hit for an incoming DP halves. Also worth bearing in mind that the cap hit for a U-23 DP is considerably lower.

On 2/2/2023 at 3:47 PM, Kingston said:

I'm not sure TFC will sign a DP right now.  That's a $600+ k hit against the cap for a cap constrained team.  Also, while a DP-level player is always welcome, I'm not sure it is what they most need right now as compared to what they could add to the team with a couple of $300 k players.

I really think TFC needs a striker upgrade. If Ayo, Jimenez, and Diomande don't produce, they should use their third DP there.

They seem to have a decent first 11 but with all the young Canadians they have gotten rid of recently (shaffleburg, petrasso, okello, probably nelson, and priso from last year), they don't seem to have much depth which I think will cost them over the season and one reason I am not overly optimistic for their chances this year.  Others that watch them more closely than I may have a different view on that but they are only a couple of injuries away from a disasterous season and with all the old players they have on the roster, that is more likely to happen than not.

56 minutes ago, An Observer said:

They seem to have a decent first 11 but with all the young Canadians they have gotten rid of recently (shaffleburg, petrasso, okello, probably nelson, and priso from last year), they don't seem to have much depth which I think will cost them over the season and one reason I am not overly optimistic for their chances this year.  Others that watch them more closely than I may have a different view on that but they are only a couple of injuries away from a disasterous season and with all the old players they have on the roster, that is more likely to happen than not.

I said this earlier, they could finish top of the table, but I could see them at the bottom also, it'll be an interesting season for sure.

For me…with TFCs win now mode, means free all the higher rated homegrowns for me.

Shaffelburg
Petrasso
Nelson

Akinola (23) 🔜 with Diomonde in, he will probably split time with both him and Jimenez

JMR (18) 🔜 with the Italian in, Laryea will play on his natural side, which means JMR will be competing for backup minutes with a natural RB in Chung. He needs to play his natural position.

Thompson (20)🔜 the utility man, has shown he can play anywhere and will need consistent minutes to improve - wherever that is. I just don’t see his minutes increasing, and more than likely decreasing below 1600 this year.
….

the rest (Mbongue -18, Kerr -20, Italian Translator- 22, Themi -21) can stay and play the fringe minutes that they will receive.

17 hours ago, An Observer said:

I agree that their depth will determine how well the season goes.  I don't see much chance of another disasterous season, though.  More like a choice between actually quite good and just okay.

It's also interesting to note the young/bench Canadians on the team even after sending away the players you mentioned.  They still have JMR, MacNaughton, Chung, Thompson, Kerr, and Perruzza as well as Mbongue and Antonoglou.  (I'm not sure if Singh counts any more.)  That's on top of presumptive starters Osorio, Kaye, and Laryea and whatever time goes to Akinola.  I don't think those younger/bench players will see the minutes they got early last season (over 6000 for that group) but there will be opportunities.  Hopefully we can see further Canadian player progress at or via TFC this year.