TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

was a champions league starter in 17-18 where they advanced from the group..then a starter in switzerland..could be a solid sigining if injury issues are behind him

17-18 is ages ago in soccer years.

Not sure why they needed to use TAM on what is ostensibly a reclamation project based on how his 2022 went.

simple: he was under contract and if you want a quality player for the start of mls season and who has been playing competitive games recently you will likely have to pay a transfer fee..easy to say theres tons of these players but dont forget that a lot goes into a move: a club has to want him, he has to want to go to the new club and if under contract then the club has to agree to transfer him

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about this guy.  Seems like a decent, fill in the gap type of signing, though.  Given what the team has said about salary cap space, I don't think we're going to see another truly big signing in this window, so this type of guy is okay.

The way I see the Petretta signing is, I am not saying he is as good as Sammy Adegkube but he's been playing at the same level and if Sammy signed for Toronto, I'd be a very happy boy. Petretta may indeed be a good player.

One article stated he made 12 appearances this year which for a shortened half-season seems adequate, no?  It's not like he was buried at the end of the bench because he wasn't good enough.

2 hours ago, Metro said:

The way I see the Petretta signing is, I am not saying he is as good as Sammy Adegkube but he's been playing at the same level and if Sammy signed for Toronto, I'd be a very happy boy. Petretta may indeed be a good player.

One article stated he made 12 appearances this year which for a shortened half-season seems adequate, no?  It's not like he was buried at the end of the bench because he wasn't good enough.

Turkish League is at the 20 game mark.

Perhaps he had an injury? Which may be another concern 

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Turkish League is at the 20 game mark.

Perhaps he had an injury? Which may be another concern 

Raoul Petretta - Stats 22/23 | Transfermarkt

He missed 7 games this season due to an "unknown injury", including 4 games in a row from matchdays 4 to 7.

The other 3 games missed were on Matchdays 17, 19 and 20. That's somewhat concerning, but the season is not until March, right? Plenty of time to get healthy. 

I don't know much about him, but I assume durability will be an issue. He played the full 90 three times, remained on the bench 3 times, came off the bench three times, and was substituted after starting 3 times. That's the definition of a mixed bag, I would say. 

My expectation? A player who can start, but probably cannot be expected to play 90 minutes week-in, week-out, which is fine because Laryea can shift to the left and Rutty can play on the right (if he's still there). At the end of the day, he's probably a solid depth piece. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Raoul Petretta - Stats 22/23 | Transfermarkt

He missed 7 games this season due to an "unknown injury", including 4 games in a row from matchdays 4 to 7.

The other 3 games missed were on Matchdays 17, 19 and 20. That's somewhat concerning, but the season is not until March, right? Plenty of time to get healthy. 

I don't know much about him, but I assume durability will be an issue. He played the full 90 three times, remained on the bench 3 times, came off the bench three times, and was substituted after starting 3 times. That's the definition of a mixed bag, I would say. 

My expectation? A player who can start, but probably cannot be expected to play 90 minutes week-in, week-out, which is fine because Laryea can shift to the left and Rutty can play on the right (if he's still there). At the end of the day, he's probably a solid depth piece. 

MLS is a physical league, he's screwed.

TAM money for a depth piece?

18 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

MLS is a physical league, he's screwed.

TAM money for a depth piece?

I don't see how he's anything more than that, unfortunately. 

I assume he'll be the starting left back, with Richie on the right, but I don't expect him stay healthy all season in a physical MLS with a ton of travel. It will be a minor miracle if that happens.  

If the health concerns were not there, I would say he's a little more than a depth piece, but I still don't think he's TAM value to be honest. 

Edited by Obinna

Will have to wait to see him play before I can get too excited, but first thoughts are that it doesn't sound too awe-inspiring as a replacement for Criscito. Frankly I am losing confidence in Bradley Sr.'s ability to spot and sign talent from other leagues unless they are really obvious ones like the Italian trio from last year. Hopefully this will turn my confidence around on that front.

43 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Frankly I am losing confidence in Bradley Sr.'s ability to spot and sign talent from other leagues unless they are really obvious ones like the Italian trio from last year. Hopefully this will turn my confidence around on that front.

I think the issue is whether or not he can  organize the current playing staff into a cohesive, competitive unit.  I didn't see that in the second half of last season when many (including me) thought they would eventually integrate the newcomers with the incumbents on a team hitting its peak as it made the playoffs.  

I still think the highest paid guy in MLS will find a way get out his deal come the summer window and head elsewhere (Middle East?) for a final big pay day.  It has the potential to be a very disappointing/underachieving season.

21 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

They are signing Sean Johnson it’s confirmed by Bernier.

Surprised no one commented on this.  After last season’s gaffes in net, this is a pretty big deal - and a helluva lot more important than some anonymous winger signing.  SJ is a damn good keeper and should solidify TFC between the pipes for a few years to come.  

939E8A5A-606E-4073-9565-3706A8F18CFB.jpeg

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I think the issue is whether or not he can  organize the current playing staff into a cohesive, competitive unit.  I didn't see that in the second half of last season when many (including me) thought they would eventually integrate the newcomers with the incumbents on a team hitting its peak as it made the playoffs.  

I agree with this.  To achieve anything useful, this group of players needs to become a team.  There were flashes of it last season but nothing consistent.  Missing Osorio in the middle of the park didn't help at all in that regard.

On the plus side, I don't think the team is actually that far away from being competitive.  I don't expect the Cup, but I think we can easily move from near the bottom of the table to a place in the playoffs.  On the downside, part of that will require Bradley to play Bradley less and I'm not sure he's prepared to do that.

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I still think the highest paid guy in MLS will find a way get out his deal come the summer window and head elsewhere (Middle East?) for a final big pay day.  It has the potential to be a very disappointing/underachieving season.

I don't see it but, if it happened, I would not be overly sad.  Insigne is a good player but, unless he steps up from last season, he's not the game breaker you'd expect for that kind of money.  He'll score reliably and efficiently when he has the chance but, so far, he hasn't simply made things happen the way that Giovinco often did.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Surprised no one commented on this.  After last season’s gaffes in net, this is a pretty big deal - and a helluva lot more important than some anonymous winger signing.  SJ is a damn good keeper and should solidify TFC between the pipes for a few years to come.  

Maybe, like me, others have been waiting for it to be official before commenting.

I agree that it would be a very big signing that, as you say, should set things up for the next few years.

Assuming it does go through, I think we have the potential for a decent, although not championship, season.

We'd be solid in goal and meaningfully upgraded in defense.  That alone moves us to a mid-table team in my mind.  We have the firepower we need up front.  Osorio should be healthy now and if Bradley deploys his midfield assets well, a midfield with Osorio, MAK, and different contributions from youth and veterans should get us in to the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Maybe, like me, others have been waiting for it to be official before commenting.

I agree that it would be a very big signing that, as you say, should set things up for the next few years.

Assuming it does go through, I think we have the potential for a decent, although not championship, season.

We'd be solid in goal and meaningfully upgraded in defense.  That alone moves us to a mid-table team in my mind.  We have the firepower we need up front.  Osorio should be healthy now and if Bradley deploys his midfield assets well, a midfield with Osorio, MAK, and different contributions from youth and veterans should get us in to the playoffs.

They were probably waiting for USMT camp to end to oficially introduce him.

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

I don't see it but, if it happened, I would not be overly sad.  Insigne is a good player but, unless he steps up from last season, he's not the game breaker you'd expect for that kind of money.  He'll score reliably and efficiently when he has the chance but, so far, he hasn't simply made things happen the way that Giovinco often did.

I find Insigne is having trouble adapting to the physicality of MLS. He's so skilled, but he has no edge to his game. Defoe was similar I found.

Giovinco reminded me of Theo Fleury in Hockey. If you knock me over, I'm going to fuck you up.