TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

On 6/29/2023 at 7:58 PM, narduch said:

Not sure they have enough guys available for a dead cat bounce

Hedges and Laryea are the only two that matter in that list, and one of them quite likely is gone for good. This team is a flop for the reasons everyone knows, you can't build a successful MLS team the way Manning and Bradley tried. It was destined to be a failure. Both Insigne and Bernadeschi are great players, but they are not the type of players that make great DP's in MLS. The prototype is pretty obvious at this point, guys who never quite made it to the top and have something to prove. There have been a few effective exceptions, maybe Robby Keane and David Villa the biggest, but not even Zlatan could save the Galaxy, and the other two, despite being stars in big leagues, were lunch pail guys, not prima donnas. This team will have to shed all kinds of salary and rebuild at key spots. Kaye and Osorio on $2.2 Million in the mid is not money well-spent, and another $2 million tied up in non-dp strikers who can't score. This season is done.

21 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I would find a way to part ways with Michael Bradley.  You need a clean break from both coach/td and son.

I don't necessarily agree with your point about the roles of the DPs.  In this league's set up, the better DPs are the tide that rises the rest of the supporting cast boats.  I don't get that feeling with these guys at all.  Of course, their signing is down to the vetting of management, which I do agree is a 🎶sh*t show 🎶

Laryea has been their best player but to get him permanently (and if he feels that he wants to be here longer term), someone else needs to take a haircut here, so one of those Italian guys is likely to move on.  I think Kaye finishes the season with the club because I see no takers for him and his salary.

Ya, not sure i see it that way.  We can't lump Bernie and Insigne together just because they're the same nationality and were signed at the same time.  Bernie is playing the role, contributing and leading on and off the pitch.  Bradley handcuffed the whole team with the non-system system, holding the players accountable when they're not given any chance to succeed isn't really logical.

37 minutes ago, Shway said:

image.thumb.png.cc6b78f874cb91fe983939eb94faad89.png

supposed to be a caribanna themed kit.

Maybe I’ll see Akinola wearing his own jersey again. 

Apparently this is just for warm ups.

Edit. Just seeing the announcement for this. Maybe they will wear it during a match. This should replace the grey away kit

Edited by narduch

27 minutes ago, costarg said:

Ya, not sure i see it that way.  We can't lump Bernie and Insigne together just because they're the same nationality and were signed at the same time.  Bernie is playing the role, contributing and leading on and off the pitch.  Bradley handcuffed the whole team with the non-system system, holding the players accountable when they're not given any chance to succeed isn't really logical.

Stories coming out now that Bob Bradley pushed Pozuelo out.

19 hours ago, Cicero said:

Both Insigne and Bernadeschi are great players, but they are not the type of players that make great DP's in MLS. The prototype is pretty obvious at this point, guys who never quite made it to the top and have something to prove. There have been a few effective exceptions, maybe Robby Keane and David Villa the biggest, but not even Zlatan could save the Galaxy, and the other two, despite being stars in big leagues, were lunch pail guys, not prima donnas. 

I dunno man, if I'm being honest, I don't agree with this.  While the accounting side of DP, TAM & GAM is a total clusterfuck, the actual DP role is quite simple really:

1- you plug your lineup with a star contributor at a key position,

2- with the understanding that the players surrounding this DP can in fact play with the DP and not hinder or hold back his efforts. 

3- your coach needs to be a leader of men, balance the locker room and devise strategy to get the most out of the 11 not just the DP.  No DP will make a bad team good, it's just too easy to isolate a good player, which is what is happening with Insigne, no system or supporting cast makes it very easy to defend against a star player.

You're sharing the pitch with 11 other players.  Much like chess, regardless of your position on the pitch, everyone is tasked with offensive and defensive duties, there is a fine balance in that.  You can have the best player at every position, but if the 11 is not balanced the team will fail regardless of the DP.  Look at the Galaticos era of Real Madrid or even PSG for perfect examples of great teams on paper.  "Paper champions" if you will. 

37 minutes ago, costarg said:

I just look at them as DPs, regardless of nationality.  

As I've posted on here before, any lesser credentialed coach would have been canned based on the disjointed/incohesive play on display before and after playoff elimination last year, of that I am sure.  So, I agree somewhat with the "non-system system" viewpoint but I would certainly concede that the supporting cast around them in key positions is abysmal, namely CF/striker/forward.  But if you want to improve or at least maintain (i.e. Laryea) some of those key position guys, you might need to do some very creative financing to make it happen.  

With Bradley(possibly Bradleys?) gone, we'll see now how these two DPs show what they can do to elevate the team.

I am not expecting much.  This season is a write off.

2 hours ago, costarg said:

I dunno man, if I'm being honest, I don't agree with this.  While the accounting side of DP, TAM & GAM is a total clusterfuck, the actual DP role is quite simple really:

1- you plug your lineup with a star contributor at a key position,

2- with the understanding that the players surrounding this DP can in fact play with the DP and not hinder or hold back his efforts. 

3- your coach needs to be a leader of men, balance the locker room and devise strategy to get the most out of the 11 not just the DP.  No DP will make a bad team good, it's just too easy to isolate a good player, which is what is happening with Insigne, no system or supporting cast makes it very easy to defend against a star player.

You're sharing the pitch with 11 other players.  Much like chess, regardless of your position on the pitch, everyone is tasked with offensive and defensive duties, there is a fine balance in that.  You can have the best player at every position, but if the 11 is not balanced the team will fail regardless of the DP.  Look at the Galaticos era of Real Madrid or even PSG for perfect examples of great teams on paper.  "Paper champions" if you will. 

The complete story hasn't been written with Insigne and Bernadeschi, and I don't know what they've been worth at the turnstiles, but when I look at this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Player_Rule and eyeball the best values in terms of performance and longevity in the league, I wouldn't put any of the former stars of Europe in there. Maybe Vela could be put in that class, so he might be the exception. I think it comes down to your point about creating balance, it's very difficult when you bring in a star from a big league who expects, and is expected, to do too much. Lower tier guys just blend better in the league.

The gold standard for value has to be Lodeiro and Ruidiaz, neither of whom had any kind of career in Europe (Lodeiro played 21 games at Ajax, Ruidiaz never played in Europe at all). Didn't know Driussi was getting paid that much, but decent return so far.

Edited by Cicero

What did they expect when the went out and signed a bunch of guys over 30 to go with aging starters they had.  How the F$&@ Manning still has a job is beyond me.  They cant be making a ton of money with the salaries they are paying out and a half empty stadium for some games.  Also wtf are the trainers and physio doing?!?!  Has another team lost this many man games on the MLS ever?!  They need to start getting this right or some bandwagon jumpers will be moving on. 

47 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

What did they expect when the went out and signed a bunch of guys over 30 to go with aging starters they had.  How the F$&@ Manning still has a job is beyond me.  They cant be making a ton of money with the salaries they are paying out and a half empty stadium for some games.  Also wtf are the trainers and physio doing?!?!  Has another team lost this many man games on the MLS ever?!  They need to start getting this right or some bandwagon jumpers will be moving on. 

Lol, with Messi coming in, MLSE has been given a license to be incompetent for at least ten years. 

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Also wtf are the trainers and physio doing?!?!  Has another team lost this many man games on the MLS ever?!  They need to start getting this right or some bandwagon jumpers will be moving on. 

Older players = higher likelihood of injuries, of all types.  

And BMO is a grass field, not Field Turf like the maligned Gillette Stadium.  What's NER's injury list as a comparison?

Gutierrez was perpetually injured in Vancouver and the trend is continuing here.

The last game ended with Bernadeschi and a bunch of kids - other than the 3rd string keeper, I don't think anyone else was even older than 25 by the end of the match, while one of the players was 16. That said, I approved of Dunfield going to the bench earlier & more often than Bradley Sr. did - they lost in the end but at least had some energy that could have saw them actually win the match (and probably should have if Servania doesn't hit the post with a half-open net to aim at).

My only initial criticism of Dunfield (who has to play the cards he is dealt with after all, so not sure how much he can really be judged) was him playing Kosi Thompson as a #10 (assuming that's what that was supposed to be happening). Completely out of his depth in that role, all he did was press, which is fine if that's what you were expecting him to do, but it's not going to generate you any offense.

14 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

What did they expect when the went out and signed a bunch of guys over 30 to go with aging starters they had.  

Absolutely.  They need to stop signing guys who are 29-31 and instead sign guys who are 24-26 when they are trying to fill veteran spots.

On 7/1/2023 at 5:37 PM, Jack1997 said:

What makes you think Berna wants to leave?

Because he's playing half-hearted. Either that or he'd just not right for this league. I don't see him hear for his full contract.