TFC - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

First player movements announced: 

Gone are:  1. Alex Bono    2. Quentin Westberg  3. Noble Okello  4. Doneil Henry

Out of Contract: 1. Auro Jr.  2. Johnathan Osorio 3. Chris Mavinga 4. Ifunanyachi Achara

Edited out: Didn't see Auro Jr on the list, isn't he still on loan to Santos?

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

22 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Is paying a world-renowned attacker $14m any more insane than paying Akinola, who's done next to nothing in his career, just shy of $700k?

Plus $400 K for Henry to supposedly be only cover at CB? 

They're spending money like a young Fort Mac worker during furlough in Edmonton.  The anti-moneyball team here.

2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Plus $400 K for Henry to supposedly be only cover at CB? 

They're spending money like a young Fort Mac worker during furlough in Edmonton.  The anti-moneyball team here.

Surely, the bulk of Doneil's $400k was paid by LAFC prior to his mid-season signing in TO. Surely.

41 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Surely, the bulk of Doneil's $400k was paid by LAFC prior to his mid-season signing in TO. Surely.

It gets tricky because the league pays all contracts under a certain threshold (and Henry's contract is well below it), and because LAFC waived him his salary "cap" hit didn't really affect TFC that much.

If he came back in 2023 his full salary would hit TFC's cap.

2 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

The Insigne money is insane.

It’s actually 1 million less than I had thought it was.

Even so, he could score 40 goals next year, win the league MVP and bring TFC the cup and I don’t think the $14m would be justified.  Mind you, it is not the player’s fault if Manning wants to be that stupid. He probably thought Insigne would be Giovinco Mk 2 but I think I posted back in January that this was never likely to be the case, especially at age 31. He isn’t that kind of player that will dominate games from the middle of the park, he never has been. A great player but he can never be worth that amount of cash.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

It’s actually 1 million less than I had thought it was.

Even so, he could score 40 goals next year, win the league MVP and bring TFC the cup and I don’t think the $14m would be justified.  Mind you, it is not the player’s fault if Manning wants to be that stupid. He probably thought Insigne would be Giovinco Mk 2 but I think I posted back in January that this was never likely to be the case, especially at age 31. He isn’t that kind of player that will dominate games from the middle of the park, he never has been. A great player but he can never be worth that amount of cash.

Insigne doesn't look like he can handle the physicality of the league, so he'll never be Giovinco 2.0. I actually thought Bernedechsi was way more effective than Insigne. Hopefully in 2023 he'll come back prepared, now that he has played a few games in MLS.

42 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

I am sure our 50% tax bracket led to Insigne’s incredible 14 million salary.  Not sure how personal taxes work in Europe but if he was gonna get paid 5 million and keep all/most of it then TFC needed to guarantee him7 million after taxes to get him here.

Most of western Europe has pretty well-developed social programs, probably even more so than Canada. I can't imagine that the theoretical top tax brackets in any of the countries with Top 5 leagues will be much lower than Canada, if at all.