Isaiah Johnston

Bdog

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

I feel like this is actually a move to the MLS but the MLS likes to frame these moves to this NEXT league because they don't want to create the perception that CPL is in anyway comparable to the MLS

In essence it is a move to MLS as next pro is a clear level below CPL. I don’t think MLS has their hand in directly influencing the move but their rules cause this. 

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Love this move. Another fee for a CPL side and a great path for a young Canadian. Rumour is that N’Sa will also be joining him there.

I see this as a chance to be Farsi for both players. Nashville is a club they can feasibly break into and establish themselves as MLS players. 

My guy!

Not sure how I feel about this type of move, but mostly because I still don't know how to rate nextpro. If York is getting paid, that's good. Also wonder how the "move" to Huntsville will affect the transfer between nextpro and the senior team. JRR and Farsi played a lot of double duty for both teams- starting for nextpro in the afternoon, and then making Columbus' bench at night or vice versa. You can't really do that if your team is a state away. 

54 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I feel like this is actually a move to the MLS but the MLS likes to frame these moves to this NEXT league because they don't want to create the perception that CPL is in anyway comparable to the MLS

Interesting take. Tin foil hat on or not, I could see it. 

With the flexibility of MLS calling up NEXT players it's almost like a cheeky few extra MLS roster spots. It also give them a safety blanket to see if the players will make the grade up a step to MLS. 

Most of these CPL players moving could sure sit in MLS first team squads though. It also gives them more playtime too.

On 12/19/2022 at 11:57 AM, SpursFlu said:

this NEXT league

Before putting the tin foil hat on, I'd like to ask two questions:

1) To those who may know the rules well, is going through MLS Next, give him somehow a pathway to be counted as a "domestic" player if he were to transfer up to the MLS (Nashville) team?

2) Seeing as he is coming from CPL where the salaries aren't great, is this a workaround to pay him less than the MLS salary minimum given that NEXT Pro has no minimum?

https://www.mlsnextpro.com/about/roster-guidelines#:~:text=There is no salary cap,Pro agreement%2C as described above.

Like, you can sign a guy for 35 to 60 thousand USD and then only bring him into Nashville if he pans out. Otherwise they can keep him in Alabama because if you bring him directly to Nashville you need to pay at least 65 thousand USD off the bat.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Before putting the tin foil hat on, I'd like to ask two questions:

1) To those who may know the rules well, is going through MLS Next, give him somehow a pathway to be counted as a "domestic" player if he were to transfer up to the MLS (Nashville) team?

2) Seeing as he is coming from CPL where the salaries aren't great, is this a workaround to pay him less than the MLS salary minimum given that NEXT Pro has no minimum?

https://www.mlsnextpro.com/about/roster-guidelines#:~:text=There is no salary cap,Pro agreement%2C as described above.

Like, you can sign a guy for 35 to 60 thousand USD and then only bring him into Nashville if he pans out. Otherwise they can keep him in Alabama because if you bring him directly to Nashville you need to pay at least 65 thousand USD off the bat.

Gus McNab confirmed that he’s being signed to Huntsville due to roster regulations. They don’t have an international spot for him at the moment so this can act as a trial of sorts to prove that he’s worth it. 

I don't know so much about the player but I do know what I think of the level of play in the CPL and the level of play of the average domestic player in MLS. Before year end he'll be with Nashville full time and they'll say hey this player came from Sticksville fc in the MLS Next league. I do take the point about roster rules and all that but I'm sure they like the perception that he came from MLS Next and not the CPL

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Gus McNab confirmed that he’s being signed to Huntsville due to roster regulations. They don’t have an international spot for him at the moment so this can act as a trial of sorts to prove that he’s worth it. 

So Canadian players who sign their first contract in the CPL are counted as "internationals" in their own D1+ league (MLS)?
Do you guys not see how this is a problem. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

So Canadian players who sign their first contract in the CPL are counted as "internationals" in their own D1+ league (MLS)?
Do you guys not see how this is a problem. 

It is a problem, it's just a known problem that ultimately won't ever be properly fixed. 

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I don't think anyone disagrees with you on that. It's the #1 reason why I've hated Don Garber for years. He has lied about the situation and dodged giving a proper answer even when USL was counting Canadians as domestic.

You know what they'll do.....give the Canadian teams more allocation money 🙄