Class of 2008

MM3/MM2/MM

5 hours ago, JamesF said:

Kevin Khan signs professional contract with feyenoord he was with Canada U15 team last summer

Can a 16 year old sign a pro contract in Holland?

Which leads to my next question - anyone know how he was able to go to Europe as a 13 year old?  I assume he has another (European) citizenship?  If so, and if he did in fact sign a pro contract (which I'm doubting more as I type this), I would think whatever other country he has citizenship from would be all over him at this point?

I know the other route would be for the parents to move there for work, but I read that he was identified at a camp here in Canada, so the Feyenoord opportunity would have come up before the parents made work arrangements (if that was even their situation).  Asking because I know of a family going through this right now and getting a really hard time registering their kid.

9 minutes ago, Protega said:

Which leads to my next question - anyone know how he was able to go to Europe as a 13 year old?  I assume he has another (European) citizenship?  If so, and if he did in fact sign a pro contract (which I'm doubting more as I type this), I would think whatever other country he has citizenship from would be all over him at this point?

I know the other route would be for the parents to move there for work, but I read that he was identified at a camp here in Canada, so the Feyenoord opportunity would have come up before the parents made work arrangements (if that was even their situation).  Asking because I know of a family going through this right now and getting a really hard time registering their kid.

2 or 3 years ago a soccer contact of mine told me to write this name down because he was something special. He was a Dutch Connections product out of the GTA, iirc. I don't recall his family situation.

6 hours ago, Protega said:

Screenshot_20240808_225205_Instagram.thumb.jpg.93a06ab57429007e596e6db786d42a42.jpg

18 hours ago, nolando said:

2 or 3 years ago a soccer contact of mine told me to write this name down because he was something special. He was a Dutch Connections product out of the GTA, iirc. I don't recall his family situation.

Hopefully, this is not another Jonathan de Guzman in the making.

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Hopefully, this is not another Jonathan de Guzman in the making.

My generation of soccer fans will likely never be able to shake that initial and seemingly very Canadian feeling of, "I hope he turns out to be good but not generational talent good," when it comes to anyone with a potential dual or multi-national situation.

Edited by nolando

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Yes, if his family moved to the Netherlands for legitimate work related reasons this is nothing out of the ordinary.

No, I meant can a 16 year old (including Dutch 16 year olds) sign a pro contract under Dutch labour laws?  I only see him listed under their U17 roster.

Graduating high school at 18 or so is a North American concept. In most European countries leaving school at 16 and starting work in a regular job or apprenticeship is nothing unusual. Having university entrance exams after the normal school leaving age for a sizable chunk of the population is a big part of how the social class system that is still a feature of many European societies gets perpetuated.

On 8/9/2024 at 7:30 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Yes, if his family moved to the Netherlands for legitimate work related reasons this is nothing out of the ordinary.

"Legitimate" .... they are banking on his success.

48 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Graduating high school at 18 or so is a North American concept. In most European countries leaving school at 16 and starting work in a regular job or apprenticeship is nothing unusual. Having university entrance exams after the normal school leaving age for a sizable chunk of the population is a big part of how the social class system that is still a feature of many European societies gets perpetuated.

I just don't think he's actually signed a pro contract is what I'm saying (not sure he's even allowed to, given that the youngest players in the Eredivisie seem to be 18).  He signed with the U17's on July 1st, so signing a pro contract now would be like Eddie Sherman going from the mail room to VP of corporate development in two days.

Also saw a DC post about how he attended a Feyenoord camp in Canada - the odds that his parents had jobs lined up in Holland, and that he then attended the Feyenoord camp in Canada, and only then began communicating with the club, are pretty out there.

Good for him, but just wondering why other families have such a hard time with these arrangements.

• 2 weeks later...