Friendly - Canada vs Uruguay - Tuesday, September 27th - 12 pm Eastern / 9 am Pacific

narduch

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

This game is making me realize that (unlike past WCQ campaigns) there wasn't the same level of world class finishers and offensive playmakers on the teams that we faced.   No Chicharito, Suazo, Donovan, Yorke... etc.  This Uruguay side has those kinds of players.  Hence,  they're up 2-0 even though we haven't played bad and have had the balance of play.  

We faced Jimenez, who is better than probably everyone your listed but Chicharito and Yorke.

10 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

I am curious to see how some of our "high ceiling" youngsters would do out here.

It just looks like the contenders and the pretenders on our team are being separated. Davies looks like the best player on either team, JD has had some nice chances, I really like what I see from Adekugbe, but Laryea looks lost, Larin is having second thoughts when he has the ball on his foot, etc. Not saying these players are our best, but this is the moment you try guys like Ugbo, Cortbeanu, Kone and just let them run wild. For such a good opponent, we're not too far behind, we just need players with stronger physical attributes, I think.

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Good point on Uruguay's CB pairing not even being first choice. We need to run at them more and Larin just seems interested in standing around and hoping he get the ball to his feet.

aS i SaId a MiLlIoN tImEs attitude. Nonetheless, all great points.

Edited by Ally McCoist

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

This game is making me realize that (unlike past WCQ campaigns) there wasn't the same level of world class finishers and offensive playmakers on the teams that we faced.   No Chicharito, Suazo, Donovan, Yorke... etc.  This Uruguay side has those kinds of players.  Hence,  they're up 2-0 even though we haven't played bad and have had the balance of play.  

There's always a chance of getting bitten when you play Uruguay.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

It just looks like the contenders and the pretenders on our team are being separated. Davies looks like the best player on either team, JD has had some nice chances, I really like what I see from Adekugbe, but Laryea looks lost, Larin is having second thoughts when he has the ball on his foot, etc. Not saying these players are our best, but this is the moment you try guys like Ugbo, Cortbeanu, Kone and just let them run wild. For such a good opponent, we're not too far behind, we just need players with stronger physical attributes, I think.

Really like this comment. Larin as much as he's come in clutch for us in WCQ you can see he can be a bit of an imposter when you up the opponent.

Fair reflection in that they took their chances, ours broke down. 

Need more bodies and/or more speed in midfield.

If you are going to play three at the back with smaller CBs, your big man needs to be more aware than Vitoria was, no one coming in on his side of the box. 

That said, maybe you need 4411 if you want to see what Davies does in the middle. Keep your wide midfielders close to the centre mids and maybe let your fullbacks do the attacking if you have the chance. Those are not strengths of our squad though, where we have a fair number of decent to excellent attacking wingers. 

Just thowing out ideas. 

Watching them. I think this Uruguary is a good analog for Belgium, if they don't play Onana which would present a different problem for us.  Quality in midfield and danger up to with a defence that can be beat.