Should We Be Concerned About our Backline?

phil03

Should We Be Concerned About our Backline?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Be Concerned About our Backline?

• Yes, we need to close the gap if we wish to keep improving
    • No, some differences are normal so we just keep trying to improve the team as a whole
    • Concerned might be pushing it, as all teams have their strength and weakness, but we should pay attention to it

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Well in the last 6 months we have had Heibert, Bombito and McGraw come into the picture.  Zator has been upping his game in europe, Cornelius is back in the fold and Waterman has solidified his spot in MLS.  No diamond yet, but we are getting a nice collection of garnets and emeralds.  

Agreed. It’s just the age thing. (I know CB tend to take longer)

16 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe - but it is really just a thought experiment.  He is a central mid who is advancing his career in that position.  There is 0% chance he converts to a new position just because we may have some roster spots back there. 

Correct...except there is a 1% chance he converts.

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Well in the last 6 months we have had Heibert, Bombito and McGraw come into the picture.  Zator has been upping his game in europe, Cornelius is back in the fold and Waterman has solidified his spot in MLS.  No diamond yet, but we are getting a nice collection of garnets and emeralds.  

All I see are cubic zirconias atm.

I say yes we should worry about it as we head into 2026, 2030 and beyond because if we don't keep adding to our core by finding more hidden gems especially at right back, center back and left back like the USAs and Mexicos of the world we go back to right where we were at before

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I say yes we should worry about it as we head into 2026, 2030 and beyond because if we don't keep adding to our core by finding more hidden gems especially at right back, center back and left back like the USAs and Mexicos of the world we go back to right where we were at before

RB and LB are arguably are deepest position. 
RB/RWB - johsnton, laryea, buchanan, ZBG, sigur, Zator, Farsi?, JMR?
LB/LWB - Davies, Adekugbe, abzi, Petrasso Franklin, de fougerolles, Edwards, bassong?, Millar, Guti, Choiniere, Heibert

You can also add some other youngsters or CB who can do a job at FB like kennedy. Full back is pretty much the only position I am 100% not worried about. 

24 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

RB and LB are arguably are deepest position. 
RB/RWB - johsnton, laryea, buchanan, ZBG, sigur, Zator, Farsi?, JMR?
LB/LWB - Davies, Adekugbe, abzi, Petrasso Franklin, de fougerolles, Edwards, bassong?, Millar, Guti, Choiniere, Heibert

You can also add some other youngsters or CB who can do a job at FB like kennedy. Full back is pretty much the only position I am 100% not worried about. 

Who is de fougerolles?

Our backline at the Gold Cup should be pretty easy to figure out. Herdman for whatever reason has decided to complicate it. Play the guys where they are familiar with at their club teams.

Back 4 of Bombito-Miller-Vitoria-Zator.

McGraw backs up Miller. Kennedy backs up Vitoria. ZBG and Laryea play rb and lb if you want to go more offensive.

Adekugbe not being part of the team hurts alot at LB.

8 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Our backline at the Gold Cup should be pretty easy to figure out. Herdman for whatever reason has decided to complicate it. Play the guys where they are familiar with at their club teams.

Back 4 of Bombito-Miller-Vitoria-Zator.

Since this is an experimental tournament. My back 4 would be…

Laryea-Bombito-Kennedy-Millar

8 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Adekugbe not being part of the team hurts alot at LB.

I think Millar could play that style similar to Adekugbe, where he’s able to defend well and advance the ball. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Since this is an experimental tournament. My back 4 would be…

Laryea-Bombito-Kennedy-Millar

I think Millar could play that style similar to Adekugbe, where he’s able to defend well and advance the ball. 

Millar was a striker not so long ago.  Playing him at LB is Herdman level 3D chess.

Edited by costarg

5 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

This tournament (and even the Nations League Final when he was playing hurt) has sure shown us the importance of a fit Alistair Johnston to our back line.

Agreed, however I still don't feel he is the ultimate ideal solution as RCB like CANMNT has been using him.  Better suited to RB or even RWB.

1 minute ago, costarg said:

Agreed, however I still don't feel he is the ultimate ideal solution as RCB like CANMNT has been using him.  Better suited to RB or even RWB.

This. AJ is rock steady but his aerial defending is not strong just like Miller and 2 out of 3 in a back 3 is not good for defending set pieces or crosses into the box.  RB or a defensively stronger RWB is a better position to play him. Yah Richie, but that's for the coaches. But another reason to go with 4 at the back.