Canada vs Qatar - Friday, September 23rd - 1pm Eastern / 10am Pacific

MOTM. I'll pick Sam Adekugbe because he was solid both ways, had a strong presence on the pitch, was pacey, took hold of that left side attack. Then got that assist. 

Eustaquio in the conversation, though again, that talent could probably do a bit more. So if it isn't Sam, it's our captain, Junior.

Then, players I was pleased with: Piette, great work. Miller, really stepped it up. Vitoria so solid, for me Johnston was quieter today. 

The front line players, if you don't mind I won't rate them as much since, with the side we were facing, we probably should have been much harsher in front of goal.

Subs: Millar had intensity at least. Ugbo gets to a lot of balls so if you could learn to play with him and give him service, he's raise his game for us (goals). Richie got moved around too much. Kaye seemed to be positively influenced by the other midfield performances. Kone, maybe too few minutes to settle in but he has skill--with more minutes he could work. Brym I don't rate, he is not at the level of the rest of the team.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Overall very happy with the game.  Qatar looked quite poor but I was surprised with our play, given some big absences.  Well done to the Canadian crowd there, we heard you.

Borjan - Great game.  Did what he usually does.  Great on cross and shot stopping but obviously makes us sweat a little bit with the ball on his feet.

Vitoria - Solid, sound and quiet game despite another yellow card.

Kamal - Thought he was very solid minus the late giveaway in our own end.  Luckily, I believe that open net miss would have been called back for offside anyways.

Johnston - Thought he was much better in the 2nd half playing alongside Laryea but another solid performance for country.

Adekugbe - Solid game both sides of the game.  Great assist to Larin and solid defensively.

Piette - Pleasantly surprised with his performance.  He had a lot more time on the ball then he likely will against stronger opposition but happy with his performance alongside Eustaquio.

Eustaquio - Another great performance.  Looked great alongside both Piette & Kone.  His work rate is incredible.

Davies - Once again, I found he was doing a bit too much.  Clearly far more skilled than anyone on the field but just didn't stand out to me.

Hoilett - Worked hard and despite what OS crew said after the game, I thought he was sub-par today in a role he isn't used to playing until recently with club.  Second half was better but not his usual dangerous self.

David - Great game, scored a goalscorer's goal and works hard and held the ball well.

Larin - Looked like he hasn't missed a beat despite limited minutes with club.

Laryea - solid 2nd half performance.  Liked him at the RWB role over Hoilett.

Brym - Not nearly as terrible as people here state.  Needs to be clinical but I thought he was decent.

Ugbo - Also needs to be more clinical.  Should have put away the rebound that Laryea should have scored but did well on his header which Kamal should have put away.

Kone - As great as Piette looked alongside Eustaquio, I may have even liked Kone beside Eustaquio even more.  He did fall asleep and lost the ball near our box which the Qatari player ended up having a quality chance.

Millar - relentless pace.  Thought he started his appearance very strong but faded a bit.  Think he's a great asset to have coming off the bench with his speed and work rate.

Kaye - Nothing special but the game slowed quite a bit in the final 10 minutes.

Edited by Corazon

On 9/20/2022 at 10:08 PM, Ally McCoist said:

Canada vs Qatar betting odds are out on Bet365.  

Screenshot_20220920-220653_Chrome.jpg.93bf63b054a6cb07f7836a0c9d2b0b0a.jpg

aS i StAtEd... Qatar are being overhyped. This is a value bet for Canada to win. Do you guys really think Canada winning is just as likely as Qatar winning? Hell nah lol. 

I'm putting $100 on a Canada win.

I'll be taking commission fees for anybody who followed through. I made a nice profit off this 😁

Just now, kacbru said:

I don't actually speak Arabic. 

You just don't get the southamerican football mindset.  "Shit can happen" then be prepare.  As Roy Keane said just before WC 2002 "fail to prepare, prepare to fail" 

In a recent poll in Argentina in the radio for football connoisseurs,  Canada is "the dark horse" of WC

4 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

You just don't get the southamerican football mindset.  "Shit can happen" then be prepare.  As Roy Keane said just before WC 2002 "fail to prepare, prepare to fail" 

In a recent poll in Argentina in the radio for football connoisseurs,  Canada is "the dark horse" of WC

I am beginning to think that your grasp of Arabic is worse than mine.