Serie A..

gigi riva

1 hour ago, red card said:

For the first time since 2005, there will be a relegation playoff. Verona & Spezia are tied in points and Serie A took away tiebreakers in a rule change last year. If you enjoy seeing young men to little girls crying in agony juxatoposed with young men lighting flares and storming the pitch in jubilation, this is the match of the weekend.

It wil take place on Sunday at 1445 ET at Sassuolo's stadium. You can see it on fubo/TLN.

Two beautiful cities (really for La Spezia the area) playing in the stadium beside the Ferrari museum in not that nice Maranello!

• 10 months later...
Posted (edited)

After having teams in all three finals last season, there will be teams in two this year to make teams in five of the last six European finals over two seasons.  

Maybe they'll win one this year!

Edited by RJB

I think we are see a mini renaissance in Italian football and it is quietly happening  slowly but surely. Italy has had some good tournaments in the youth level especially in FIFA U 19s and 17s in the last couple of editions. Sure A Euro championship in 2021, was a nice achievement. despite not Qualifying for 2 straight World Cups , was a bit of a downer, But maybe it was the best thing that could have happened in the long run who  knows. And finally Serie A clubs have perfo rmed well in the last two years in European  competion having  3 teams go to final to me was a massive success I dint care what all the doubters say, and this year year 2 teams are in a final 

Cesc Fabregas has taken Como back up to Serie A, after over 20 years out. Promote along with Parma.

I think he started playing and was converted to coach? Not sure exactly, but he doesn't have his coaching license yet but was the real no. 1. The Indonesian billionaire owners have taken them from Serie D in 6-7 years.

Cesc started so young he's actually still young, just turned 37. My recollection was that he was never really bright in declarations, he's not a real theorist of the game, he was an intuitive player, but he may have the right mentality for coaching tasks. 

• 2 weeks later...

The relegation battle was crazy this weekend. The fact that Davide Nicola did it again is insane.

Udinese have been such an uninspiring team the last few seasons I was hoping they would go down.

Cremonese v Venezia in the playoff final to see who will be the 20th squad in Serie A for next season.

• 2 months later...

Games on TLN this weekend.

Saturday

Genoa v Inter  12 30 pm

Sunday

Bologna v  Udinese  12 :30 pm

Lazio v Venezia   2:45pm

It will be nice to see more games this year on TLN good on them, and a chance to see my female Soccer crush Camilla Gonzalez

On 8/13/2024 at 10:12 PM, gigi riva said:

Any predictions guys?

It's incredible to me how far Serie A has fallen (seemingly at least).  Teams like Juve and Milan which used to be the Barca and Madrid of Europe have weakened.  For me, they just aren't doing what those teams do well and that they used to do excellently, which is produce and develop youth talent.  Remember those Milan backlines: Tassotti, Pannucci, Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta?  They all either came through the youth team or were otherwise developed at Milan - and those are just defenders!  I'm sure a list could work at Juve too.  But now they just buy discounted and older players from other leagues, and it's a real shame.  

One good thing is the emergence of other clubs like Atalanta and Bologna into that top tier.  But a quick glance at their squad shows also a strong dependence on foreign talent, and it just doesn't do it for me.  Serie A is in real big trouble.

The champions, Inter, have only 8 Italians listed on their roster (Wikipedia).  Runners-up Milan, only 8 also.  Third place Juve have 9.  Many of those are 'down the list' so to speak, and so a match day roster would have less.  It's a real shame and it is little surprise then that the national team is the worst it has ever been.

I can't cheer for Inter.  I'll cheer for Tajon of course, and if he plays lots when he gets better then I just might find them tolerable.  I used to love AC Milan, and still root for them with some passing interest.  This year, I might just throw my support behind Lazio, because they presently have an ad-free jersey. 

What Serie A needs is a 'Leicester' team full of Italians to take the title.  That would be so amazing.

13 hours ago, RJB said:

It's incredible to me how far Serie A has fallen (seemingly at least).  Teams like Juve and Milan which used to be the Barca and Madrid of Europe have weakened.  For me, they just aren't doing what those teams do well and that they used to do excellently, which is produce and develop youth talent.  Remember those Milan backlines: Tassotti, Pannucci, Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta?  They all either came through the youth team or were otherwise developed at Milan - and those are just defenders!  I'm sure a list could work at Juve too.  But now they just buy discounted and older players from other leagues, and it's a real shame.  

One good thing is the emergence of other clubs like Atalanta and Bologna into that top tier.  But a quick glance at their squad shows also a strong dependence on foreign talent, and it just doesn't do it for me.  Serie A is in real big trouble.

The champions, Inter, have only 8 Italians listed on their roster (Wikipedia).  Runners-up Milan, only 8 also.  Third place Juve have 9.  Many of those are 'down the list' so to speak, and so a match day roster would have less.  It's a real shame and it is little surprise then that the national team is the worst it has ever been.

I can't cheer for Inter.  I'll cheer for Tajon of course, and if he plays lots when he gets better then I just might find them tolerable.  I used to love AC Milan, and still root for them with some passing interest.  This year, I might just throw my support behind Lazio, because they presently have an ad-free jersey. 

What Serie A needs is a 'Leicester' team full of Italians to take the title.  That would be so amazing.

Serie A does need a Leicester moment , big time

12 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I know its only three games in , and anything can change in a hurry. But could Torino be this years Bologna 

Very early, yes, but good results against Milan and Atalanta are encouraging.  It's not like they have a strong start against bottom-feeders.  Hopefully they keep it up.

• 3 weeks later...