Earl Cochrane new Canada Soccer General Secretary

For an organization under such intense scrutiny over its financial aptitude, boasting of an “extensive global recruitment process” which spent six months scanning and spanning the globe with over 70 candidates reportedly interviewed, only to settle on that guy two doors down the hallway was maybe not the boast Canada Soccer thought it was.

That's a great line in that posted article

2 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

For an organization under such intense scrutiny over its financial aptitude, boasting of an “extensive global recruitment process” which spent six months scanning and spanning the globe with over 70 candidates reportedly interviewed, only to settle on that guy two doors down the hallway was maybe not the boast Canada Soccer thought it was.

That's a great line in that posted article

sounds a lot like how government departments hire for a position :)

• 9 months later...

He never really inspired confidence when he spoke. On the other hand, he probably leaves on a high note as he probably never looked better than in the pointless-waste-of-time heritage committee meetings, where he was aided by the utter incompetency and rampant stupidity of the politicians holding his feet to the fire over such issues as FIFA hiring Adriana Lima.

Was he pushed or did he jump?

It really doesn't look great the two leaders have bailed on the heels of our best stretch ever - men and women! - as well as us co-hosting the next mens world cup.  Seems like the next four years would be years you'd want to be around for.  Not sure what both of them quitting says about things, but I don't think it says good things. 

Edited by RJB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Was he pushed or did he jump?

It really doesn't look great the two leaders have bailed on the heels of our best stretch ever - men and women! - as well as us co-hosting the next men's world cup.  Seems like the next four years would be years you'd want to be around for.  Not sure what both of them quitting says about things, but I don't think it says good things. 

These guys were core to the problems in the CSA. Or at the very least willing enablers of existing dysfunction. Great opportunity to start fresh. What the players want, and most of us fans as well, I would deign to conjecture.

7 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

These guys were core to the problems in the CSA. Or at the very least willing enablers of existing dysfunction. Great opportunity to start fresh. What the players want, and most of us fans as well, I would deign to conjecture.

Fascinating to see posters back these bureaucrats who have consistently steered the CSA poorly over the players who have felt their needs were not addressed.  Put the players first.  

50 minutes ago, CanSoccfan11 said:

Personally I don't feel it matters who is in charge. The same issues have persisted for a long time and across multiple leaders.  It's a systemic issue and until they fix that it won't matter which people are in charge.  This is just more rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Exactly how I feel. 
It was just easy to blame Bontis and Chochrane. 

52 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Fascinating to see posters back these bureaucrats who have consistently steered the CSA poorly over the players who have felt their needs were not addressed.  Put the players first.  

Which players? 

The MNT and WNT seem to want to throw every player in the CPL and in L1s across Canada (the highest women's tier in the country btw) under the bus. 

Apart from the women's appeal for more camps for women's youth internationals, never reflected in any corresponding statement by the men, the players are "us", the cause is "us", they seem to think they are the only ones whose needs are not being addressed. 

As elites, especially the men in terms of club salaries, but the women increasingly as well, they are not necessarily in conditions to defend their fellow players, and do not do so in practice.