U Sports + NCAA Canadian 2022

VinceA

• 4 months later...

Things are still cruising for Canadians in Syracuse.  They are a top team (#3 currently) with the NCAA tournie coming up soon.  Levante Johnson (Senior from Brampton) leading the charge 8g/6a in 18 games, several NCAA player of the week nods and #36 overall player in Top drawers midseason rankings.  If he finishes the year strong he'll prob be a high pick in the draft ala, Buchanon, Rapaso, Miller, Kerr etc.  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Things are still cruising for Canadians in Syracuse.  They are a top team (#3 currently) with the NCAA tournie coming up soon.  Levante Johnson (Senior from Brampton) leading the charge 8g/6a in 18 games, several NCAA player of the week nods and #36 overall player in Top drawers midseason rankings.  If he finishes the year strong he'll prob be a high pick in the draft ala, Buchanon, Rapaso, Miller, Kerr etc.  

facking hell....it's a factory.

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Nanco can be added to that list of high drafted Canadian Syracuse alumni.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was just looking at no 1 U of Washington, and they have no Canadians. I was surprised most of their players are from Washington state itself. 

Compare to no 2 Kentucky with no Canadians and only two players from Kentucky.

Thanks for the updates @Bison44, don't we have a list somewhere of all CDNs in NCAA?

The list is actually a tab on the MOACA sheet: http://www.canucks-abroad.ca/ 

It's the tab titled Cancuks at School (MSOC, USA)

20 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

U-Sport championship begins tomorrow.  All games on CBC Gem.

11 a.m.      StFX vs. Montreal

1:30 p.m.   Toronto Metropolitan vs. UBC

5 p.m.        McMaster at Thompson Rivers

7:30 p.m.   UQTR vs. Cape Breton

Hillside Stadium in Kamloops gets to be quasi little Iceteca this weekend. 

https://usports.ca/en/sports/soccer/m

In the quarter finals, host Thompson Rivers, UBC, Montreal all through, along with no 1 ranked Cape Breton v Trois Rivières.

See the scorer from TRU, Jan Pirretas, he was training with Pacific a while back.

U Sports player of the year is Chris Campoli of Ontario Tech. He's been drafted twice into CPL, first by York, then last year by HFX. L1 Unionville-Milliken player.

https://usports.ca/en/championships/soccer/m/schedule-results

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Let’s not forget the Canadian College national Championships have also been going on in Langley B.C. this past week with  the final  this  Saturday November 12th.

s between  two Ontario teams . Humber College vs Seneca in the final . Humber is going for their 7th. national championship since 2012 and 6th national championship since head coach Micheal Aquino took over a few years ago . Humber features former Canadian youth national team and Toronto FC 2 player Luca Uccello and former  Forge  CPL player  Kadell Thomas who scored Forges first ever CPL goal . Soccer at the community college level in Canada is not that much different than the university level and I’m pretty sure if a school like Humber was playing at the University level they would be a top team at that level also . It would be wise for the CPL to also look at players at the college level too , there are some very talented players there also.

Edited by SoccMan

19 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Let’s not forget the Canadian College national Championships have also been going on in Langley B.C. this past week with  the final  this  Saturday November 12th.

s between  two Ontario teams . Humber College vs Seneca in the final . Humber is going for their 7th. national championship since 2012 and 6th national championship since head coach Micheal Aquino took over a few years ago . Humber features former Canadian youth national team and Toronto FC 2 player Luca Uccello and former  Forge  CPL player  Kadell Thomas who scored Forges first ever CPL goal . Soccer at the community college level in Canada is not that much different than the university level and I’m pretty sure if a school like Humber was playing at the University level they would be a top team at that level also . It would be wise for the CPL to also look at players at the college level too , there are some very talented players there also.

I strongly disagree. College level is so far below university.  Some of the better college teams may be able to be a bottom university team. But the average college team is sooo sooo far below the university level. 

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I strongly disagree. College level is so far below university.  Some of the better college teams may be able to be a bottom university team. But the average college team is sooo sooo far below the university level. 

Your are entitled  to your opinion but I have to strongly disagree. These Humber teams of the last 10 years or so would be vying and winning  national championships at the university level as well and a lot of games they would be winning big too.  I would say both those teams in tomorrow’s college final Humber and Seneca could have made this years university final . Two teams that do some great recruiting and have two very good experienced soccer head coaches .

46 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Your are entitled  to your opinion but I have to strongly disagree. These Humber teams of the last 10 years or so would be vying and winning  national championships at the university level as well and a lot of games they would be winning big too.  I would say both those teams in tomorrow’s college final Humber and Seneca could have made this years university final . Two teams that do some great recruiting and have two very good experienced soccer head coaches .

I can’t speak to the top end teams. But in the prairie division, I’ve watched games where the top college team will play the worst uni team and get outclassed. I’ve seen many of the best college players go to some of the lower end uni teams and really struggle. I’ve also seen players from uni who would never get minutes become stars at the college level. There are many exceptions to the rule I’ve seen as well. I’ve also played against some of better college teams and even with our B side, would win quite easily. Aside aside from the top end college players and maybe teams, the average level is significantly lower from what I’ve seen.  Out east from what you say it may be different  and out west it’s much stronger. Do you know of any college teams playing uni teams in preseason. Would be interesting to know results? 

I have to agree with Soccman. At least in Ontario. I can't say that I've ever watched a college or university game, but just from personal life, many players will end up in the college system just because of their high school courses. If they took Applied(College) courses instead of Academic(University), they can't go to University, so they end up inthe college teams. I knew many good players for whom university wasn't an option because they didn't have the proper courses for it. 

9 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I also recognize Carrasco who was with York United for the 2020 season.

Also it's kinda funny how no one really cares about college sports here, at least compared to universities. I'm going to Humber right now and didn't know they were in the final until I read this post.

2 hours ago, Bdog said:

I also recognize Carrasco who was with York United for the 2020 season.

Also it's kinda funny how no one really cares about college sports here, at least compared to universities. I'm going to Humber right now and didn't know they were in the final until I read this post.

Love that soc man spread this knowledge!  

9 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

In a big upset Thompson rivers beat Cape Breton on kicks and will face UBC in the final.

Final Sunday 2PM  PST on Gem

Playing at home, the box score says 1200+ in the stands. Expect a lively crowd tomorrow.

It is interesting to see smaller universities in the periphery doing very well.

Another thing: they report team yellow cards. What are those? How do they work?