Match Thread: CONCACAF U-20 - Round of 16 - Canada v Guatemala - June 26, 2022 - 4pm ET/1pm PT

narduch

I have a friend who's son plays in the Whitecaps residency. He told me the last 2 years has been a bit of a right off. A majority of time they've been playing intersquad games or local amateur adult teams if that. No access to the Whitecaps facility for a year or so or very limited. The cross border competitions they previously relied on didn't exist. I dont have time to dive in to what every player in our u20 pool has been up to for the past 2 years but im sure it hasn't been ideal . People can act like this hasbt been a factor for our young players development but it absolutely has

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, Footyeh said:

It's a massive failure full stop.  Qualifying for the U20 WC or Olympics gives these boys a platform to be seen by clubs that will take their careers to the next level and will ultimately help Canada as a country.  The exposure is unmatched.  IE Lowell Wright scoring a goal in the U20 WC has more weight then 10 in the CPL because that level is validated across top clubs/scouts.  Working in the US, I see how much the US U15's/U17's/U20's benefit from going to international competitions and the proof is in the number of players being signed to European clubs.

Yeah maybe I sounded too optimistic, but more so just saying that ultimately this is a training tournament so that eventually these guys can play for the seniors team. Our youth system is absolutely pathetic, but if this team ends up giving us a couple guys who can play in 2026, that’s fine by me. Admittedly, I haven’t followed our youth program too closely before recently, so I don’t know how they stack up against our recent teams, but I did see a few guys who could eventually crack the big boys team.

re: 1 goal here is worth 10 more domestically- you may be right, but CPL guys are already getting plucked by Ligue 2, Scotland, etc. As long as guys like Wright eventually make it out of Canada, and I think they will, then once they’re abroad, that’s the exposure that would lead them to top leagues (if they have the chops)

Disappointing all around and shame on the CSA (yet again) for underfunding the program and trotting out a mediocre coach who has failed in the past and achieved nothing this time out (for probably the 50th time).

I am sure this is the comment nobody wants to hear… but absent funding, surely the CSA could run GTA-based youth camps with players from neighbouring regions only just to keep the program active. 

Then, when the actual tournament arrives, bolt-on the best outside talent that’s available. At least then you have players who are in a system, organized, and can foreseeably compete. 

Right now we’re getting skunked by crappier teams only because of familiarly / organization. The fact we should have better players than all but the top few teams seems to mean little when do the equivalent of toss them the ball and say “go play”. 

Edited by ag futbol

I wouldn't just blame club teams for holding back players for Uxx tournaments.  The CSA seems to use these events for testing and giving experience to players that haven't played at high levels before to see what we've got in the pipeline.  Young players who are already playing at senior levels don't need the experience and aren't going to show us anything we don't already know.  Personally, I approve of that strategy because I think deepening the pool of senior players is more important than maximizing results in junior tournaments.

Edited by rkomar

1 hour ago, PopePouri said:

The U20 teams have never included the country's best players. There are those who are fast-tracked like Davies or David, even Koleosho, or are held back by their clubs, or are injured.

Eligible players like JMR and Kosi Thompson would have added a lot more quality especially on the wing. 

That’s kinda what I’m getting at. Take our current MNT and then add a combination of Justin Smith, Thiago Coibmra, Koleosho, JMR, Lucas Dias, Jesse Costa, Stefan Mitrovic, Halbouni and Kosi Thompson. Then consider fringe guys like Kone, Brym, Colyn. Not all of them will land, but them with the core we already had, and this generation isn’t looking too shabby. Of course you want the team to play more tournaments, give our guys more exposure and all, but I think we have a lot of really good guys in the pipeline right now, more than we ever had.

7 hours ago, rkomar said:

I wouldn't just blame club teams for holding back players for Uxx tournaments.  The CSA seems to use these events for testing and giving experience to players that haven't played at high levels before to see what we've got in the pipeline.  Young players who are already playing at senior levels don't need the experience and aren't going to show us anything we don't already know.  Personally, I approve of that strategy because I think deepening the pool of senior players is more important than maximizing results in junior tournaments.

Good point man, never thought of that 

15 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Disappointing all around and shame on the CSA (yet again) for underfunding the program and trotting out a mediocre coach who has failed in the past and achieved nothing this time out (for probably the 50th time).

I am sure this is the comment nobody wants to hear… but absent funding, surely the CSA could run GTA-based youth camps with players from neighbouring regions only just to keep the program active. 

Then, when the actual tournament arrives, bolt-on the best outside talent that’s available. At least then you have players who are in a system, organized, and can foreseeably compete. 

Right now we’re getting skunked by crappier teams only because of familiarly / organization. The fact we should have better players than all but the top few teams seems to mean little when do the equivalent of toss them the ball and say “go play”. 

Yes!

This has been one of my points.
There was absolutely no reason why we couldn’t have a local camp of guys playing against a  CPL side….is it really that expensive to call up a few guys for a camp.

Preparation is key with so much on the line and we failed extremely. I knew the end result was going to be a failure due to that, but this showing was abysmal .

Poku, Wright, Ferdinand, Mbongue, Zouhir, Henry, Campagna, Alexander, Anchor, Alphonse, Catavolo, Franklin, Assi, Habibullah. 

14 of the 20 are based in Canada.
7 of the 20 weren’t at the prep camp in Costa Rica.

Like @kacbru said, we treated this like an All star game. 

Ever since WCQualification every bit of news has been deflating. 

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Like someone said, we treated this like an All star game.

An all star game without any stars. Ok maybe 1-3 players. 
we can blame money and prep all we want. We couldn’t beat Cuba and Guatemala. Come on guys !!!! 
we can’t beat the US, Mexico - I blame money and prep. Cuba and Guatemala and only scoring 4 goals vs St.Kitts. HOUSTON we have a problem !!! 

15 minutes ago, Nello said:

here's an interesting idea

That's sort of like Youth League, the u-19s play their YL group matches in same weeks as the senior team it's CL match. Often the day before, or morning of. I recall Lucas Días traveled with the 1st team of Sporting to Turkey. 

Then, for knockouts, it changed. 

Problems: only once every 4 years. Also: just because the senior team is good doesn't mean that the youth team is. In fact now in Youth League they're including national u-19 Champs and have play-ins when they're not among the Champions League teams (Deportivo La Coruña u19 played despite the 1st team being in 3rd tier). 

But I like the idea. 

1 hour ago, Nello said:

here's an interesting idea

I think Concacaf is the only federation that doesn't have U21's playing during any international windows. 
Our tournaments always happen outside of them, which always leaves the door open for the "will they release will they not" dilemma.  Although team's are free to schedule friendlies during that time, we know the CSA doesn't do anything out of necessity but only out of obligation.