The Shape of Concacaf

SpecialK

On the topic of rotating hosts of the Gold Cup, I think we have more options than most people believe.

The last Gold Cup had 10 stadiums, but I think that is more than is needed. Obviously we don't want so few like the U20 World Cup Qualifying going on right now and have horribly chewed up fields, so what is the right number? If we use 8 stadiums that would be enough for each to have 3 games per stadium in the group stage, and 1 more game in the knockout rounds (7 games, so one stadium would only have 3 games while the other 7 stadiums had 4 games).

These wouldn't have to be huge stadiums in the near future because a lot of games won't draw that well to be perfectly honest. So what kind of stadium infrastructure do some key CONCACAF nations have?

Disclaimer, I don't know anything about these stadiums, I just found some lists, mostly on wikipedia, and will just be talking about capacity.

Honduras has 8 stadiums with at least 10k capacity. The largest has a 45k capacity. 5 stadiums over 20k.

Panama's 8th biggest stadium has a 2,500 capacity, probably too small. The largest is 32k. 3 stadiums over 10k.

Costa Rica's 8th biggest stadium has a capacity of 5,600. The largest is 35k. 2 stadiums over 20k, and 1 more stadium over 10k.

El Salvador's 8th biggest stadium has a capacity of 10k. The largest is 50k. 3 stadiums over 20k (all over 30k as well).

Guatemala's 8th biggest stadium has a capacity of 10k. The largest is 20k.

I feel like the bar doesn't have to be set at having multiple 50k capacity stadiums, and that these countries could host or at least pair up and host. As it stands, the USA have hosted every Gold Cup (with some minority co-hosting exceptions) and the results are 8 wins for Mexico, 7 for USA, and 1 for Canada. If Central American countries got to host, let's say a third or half of those tournaments, do we really think USA would have won 7? Do we think a Central American country wouldn't have won a tournament yet? I think with more hosts we would get more different champions, which then ratchets up the competition for future iterations.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

On the topic of rotating hosts of the Gold Cup, I think we have more options than most people believe.

The last Gold Cup had 10 stadiums, but I think that is more than is needed. Obviously we don't want so few like the U20 World Cup Qualifying going on right now and have horribly chewed up fields, so what is the right number? If we use 8 stadiums that would be enough for each to have 3 games per stadium in the group stage, and 1 more game in the knockout rounds (7 games, so one stadium would only have 3 games while the other 7 stadiums had 4 games).

These wouldn't have to be huge stadiums in the near future because a lot of games won't draw that well to be perfectly honest. So what kind of stadium infrastructure do some key CONCACAF nations have?

Disclaimer, I don't know anything about these stadiums, I just found some lists, mostly on wikipedia, and will just be talking about capacity.

Honduras has 8 stadiums with at least 10k capacity. The largest has a 45k capacity. 5 stadiums over 20k.

Panama's 8th biggest stadium has a 2,500 capacity, probably too small. The largest is 32k. 3 stadiums over 10k.

Costa Rica's 8th biggest stadium has a capacity of 5,600. The largest is 35k. 2 stadiums over 20k, and 1 more stadium over 10k.

El Salvador's 8th biggest stadium has a capacity of 10k. The largest is 50k. 3 stadiums over 20k (all over 30k as well).

Guatemala's 8th biggest stadium has a capacity of 10k. The largest is 20k.

I feel like the bar doesn't have to be set at having multiple 50k capacity stadiums, and that these countries could host or at least pair up and host. As it stands, the USA have hosted every Gold Cup (with some minority co-hosting exceptions) and the results are 8 wins for Mexico, 7 for USA, and 1 for Canada. If Central American countries got to host, let's say a third or half of those tournaments, do we really think USA would have won 7? Do we think a Central American country wouldn't have won a tournament yet? I think with more hosts we would get more different champions, which then ratchets up the competition for future iterations.

Or maybe like a Central American Gold Cup and a Caribbean Gold Cup?? The Caribbean might be tougher to pull off...Jamaica, Cuba, Domincan Republic, Puerto Rico maybe? 

Rotation would only be possible if GC gets played every 4 years.

You basically have 4 possible hosts :

USA
Mexico
Canada 
Panama/Costa Rica

Elsewhere, security for away fans would be a matter, or they don't have proper stadiums.

I've made a list for CR/Panama.

CR have three stadiums :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_Alajuelense_Stadium
(24 000, 2025)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Nacional_de_Costa_Rica_(2011)
(35 175, 2011)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Ricardo_Saprissa_Aymá
(23 112, 1972)

Panama has one sure stadium :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Rommel_Fernández
(32 000, 1970 + 2009)

One I don't know if they can play football at the moment :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Nacional_de_Panamá
(27 000, 1999)

One a bit small, mais not too old and may be expandable?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Maracaná_(Panama)
(5 500, 1999)

Edited by MauditYvon

Looks like the GC being hosted by the USA will always be a perminant thing whether we like it or not . I understand why because of economics  but it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth  in all honesty . maybe in future GCs we may see a Toronto or Vancouver maybe hosting a game or two , similiar to Toronto did in 2015 when they had the double header  Jamaica v El Salvador, and Canada v Costa Rica. 

Ok, so we don’t get the GC. What about U-20 tournaments , U23 Olympics qualifications, Youth World Cups. 

1- we have the stadiums, even the smaller CPL Stadium’s could be used well. It would be great way to promote the CPL. 
2. we are supposed to have this CSB group doing the CSA job well fuck get on it! Why is Youth Tournaments played in horrible conditions stadiums and dangerous countries. I don’t blame our best youth players saying ya no thanks. I am not risking my career on that field. 
3. Hosting would make us money. Canadians support, Canadian teams in big events, plus the big event itself. 

2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Ok, so we don’t get the GC. What about U-20 tournaments , U23 Olympics qualifications, Youth World Cups. 

1- we have the stadiums, even the smaller CPL Stadium’s could be used well. It would be great way to promote the CPL. 
2. we are supposed to have this CSB group doing the CSA job well fuck get on it! Why is Youth Tournaments played in horrible conditions stadiums and dangerous countries. I don’t blame our best youth players saying ya no thanks. I am not risking my career on that field. 
3. Hosting would make us money. Canadians support, Canadian teams in big events, plus the big event itself. 

you make it sound so simple, we must just be missing some fundamental information about the situation?

2 minutes ago, eramosat said:

you make it sound so simple, we must just be missing some fundamental information about the situation?

Is it that simple. We are paying the CSB do the work ! Make some Bids ! Let’s go. The CSA don’t do well with big thinking here. They can’t even get Friendlies right 

Canada is literally the next and possible the only option after the USA to host. Mexico, is just a security hazard, and the other nations don't have the infrastructure. Canada has the second most diaspora of the Concacaf countries, and the WCQualifers displayed that with the attendances we seen from those games with the borders closed. 

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I would  do the Gold Cup played in Ontario & Quebec in these 6 stadiums.  

Stadiums:
Montreal 
Saputo Stadium - 19,619 | 5 Group Games, 1 SF
Olympic Stadium - 61,000 | 3 Group Games, 1 Final

Toronto
BMO Field - 30,000 | 3 Group Games, 1 SF
Lamport Stadium - 9,600 | 4 Group Games

Ottawa
TD Place - 24,000 | 4 Group Games,  1QF

Hamilton
Tim Hortons Field - 23,218 | 3 Group Games,  1 QF

Based on last years GC, here's how schedules could look:

Group A:
10 July - Mexico vs Trinidad & Tobago @ BMO Field 
11 July - El Salvador vs Guatemala @ Lamport Stadium
14 July - Trinidad & Tobago vs El Salvador @ Lamport Stadium
14 July - Guatemala vs Mexico @ TD Place
18 July - Mexico vs El Salvador @ Tim Hortons Field
18 July - Guatemala vs Trinidad & Tobago @ Tim Hortons Field

Group B: 
11 July - Canada vs Martinique @ Olympic Stadium
11 July - United States vs Haiti @ Saputo Stadium
15 July - Haiti vs Canada @ Saputo Stadium
15 July - Martinique vs United States @ TD Place
18 July - Martinique vs Haiti @ Saputo Stadium
18 July - United States vs Canada @ Olympic Stadium

Group C :
12 July - Jamaica vs Suriname @ Lamport Stadium
12 July - Costa Rica vs Guadeloupe @ Tim Hortons Field
16 July - Guadeloupe vs Jamaica @ Lamport Stadium
16 July - Suriname vs Costa Rica @ Tim Hortons Field
20 July - Costa Rica vs Jamaica @ BMO Field
20 July - Suriname vs Guadeloupe @ BMO Field 

Group D :
13 July - Qatar vs Panama @ Tim Hortons Field
13 July - Honduras vs Grenada @TD Place
17 July  - Grenada vs Qatar@ TD Place
17 July - Panama vs Honduras @ Olympic Stadium
20 July - Honduras vs Qatar @ Saputo Stadium
20 July - Panama vs Grenada @ Saputo Stadium

QF 
24 July double header @ Tim Hortons Field
25 July double header @ TD Place

SF
29 July @ BMO FIeld
29 July @ Saputo Stadium

Final
August 1 @ Olympic Stadium

Pros:
- Entire tournament is played in 1 timezone
- Limited travel time between cities
- Fan's are able to follow their team around through the group stage

Cons:
- Majority of the tournament is played on turf
- Stadium capacities are limited
- entire tournament played in 2 provinces :) 

Edited by Shway
Thanks Obinna forgot that bit lol

49 minutes ago, Shway said:

Canada is literally the next and possible the only option after the USA to host. Mexico, is just a security hazard, and the other nations don't have the infrastructure. Canada has the second most diaspora of the Concacaf countries, and the WCQualifers displayed that with the attendances we seen from those games with the borders closed. 

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I would  do the Gold Cup played in Ontario & Quebec in these 6 stadiums.  

Stadiums:
Montreal 
Saputo Stadium - 19,619 | 5 Group Games, 1 SF
Olympic Stadium - 61,000 | 3 Group Games, 1 Final

Toronto
BMO Field - 30,000 | 3 Group Games, 1 SF
Lamport Stadium - 9,600 | 4 Group Games

Ottawa
TD Place - 24,000 | 4 Group Games,  1QF

Hamilton
Tim Hortons Field - 23,218 | 3 Group Games,  1 QF

Based on last years GC, here's how schedules could look:

Group A:
10 July - Mexico vs Trinidad & Tobago @ BMO Field 
11 July - El Salvador vs Guatemala @ Lamport Stadium
14 July - Trinidad & Tobago vs El Salvador @ Lamport Stadium
14 July - Guatemala vs Mexico @ TD Place
18 July - Mexico vs El Salvador @ Tim Hortons Field
18 July - Guatemala vs Trinidad & Tobago @ Tim Hortons Field

Group B: 
11 July - Canada vs Martinique @ Olympic Stadium
11 July - United States vs Haiti @ Saputo Stadium
15 July - Haiti vs Canada @ Saputo Stadium
15 July - Martinique vs United States @ TD Place
18 July - Martinique vs Haiti @ Saputo Stadium
18 July - United States vs Canada @ Olympic Stadium

Group C :
12 July - Jamaica vs Suriname @ Lamport Stadium
12 July - Costa Rica vs Guadeloupe @ Tim Hortons Field
16 July - Guadeloupe vs Jamaica @ Lamport Stadium
16 July - Suriname vs Costa Rica @ Tim Hortons Field
20 July - Costa Rica vs Jamaica @ BMO Field
20 July - Suriname vs Guadeloupe @ BMO Field 

Group D :
13 July - Qatar vs Panama @ Tim Hortons Field
13 July - Honduras vs Grenada @TD Place
17 July  - Grenada vs Qatar@ TD Place
17 July - Panama vs Honduras @ Olympic Stadium
20 July - Honduras vs Qatar @ Saputo Stadium
20 July - Panama vs Grenada @ Saputo Stadium

QF 
24 July double header @ Tim Hortons Field
25 July double header @ TD Place

SF
29 July @ BMO FIeld
29 July @ Saputo Stadium

Final
August 1 @ Olympic Stadium

Pros:
- Entire tournament is played in 1 timezone
- Limited travel time between cities
- Fan's are able to follow their team around through the group stage

Cons:
- Majority of the tournament is played on turf
- Stadium capacities are limited

Con:

entire tournament played in just 2 provinces :)

in all seriousness though, I wonder if you could stretch that to Moncton and bring games to the maritimes? They have that 10k stadium with the track you may consider if you are considering Lamport. 

I can’t wait until the woodbine, Langley and sask cpl stadiums come online. Small venues of 8k but they’ll be soccer specific and would perhaps give us more options when hosting tournaments, even if it’s just for youth national team CONCACAF qualifiers. Would sure be better than watching teams play in large empty stadiums in Honduras.

once those venues are online, maybe it spurs something permanent out in Halifax as well. It will also set the standard for any future teams.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Mexico has hosted 2 World Cups and will get a 3rd as co-host, but @Shway rules them out of hosting a Gold Cup?

After that comnment I just couldn't get into your masterful bit of GC scheduling, sorry. 

So World Cup and Gold Cup are on the same level is what you are saying? 
1970 & 1986 are extremely different times to 2022 in Mexico.

There's the incidents that happened between their own people in Quettaro City, I can't imagine the safety measures that would be required in todays climate that couldn't be funded by Concacaf......or maybe they hire the regional Cartels to ensure that things in each city run smoothly.

Honest opinion do you think fans would travel to these Mexican cities? 

Not I.

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

There's the incidents that happened between their own people in Quettaro City, I can't imagine the safety measures that would be required in todays climate that couldn't be funded by Concacaf......or maybe they hire the regional Cartels to ensure that things in each city run smoothly.

Not I.

I would. Hitchhiked/chicken bussed my way from Tijuana to Darian Gap during X years before I lost my freedom having kids ;)

The best atmosphere I ever witnessed was at the derby at the Azteca.

And who doesn't love Mexico? Best food, vibrant culture & landscapes for every tastes.

Edited by P-O

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

Not I.

My mom who's pushing 90 is going to DF this fall to see an even more elderly relative, but I'll let her know you disapprove.

Tens of thousands of Canadians go to Mexico yearly and you discard them as Gold Cup host because it's a scary place for you. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

My mom who's pushing 90 is going to DF this fall to see an even more elderly relative, but I'll let her know you disapprove.

Tens of thousands of Canadians go to Mexico yearly and you discard them as Gold Cup host because it's a scary place for you. 

Oh I love Cancun, and you would be dumb to think Mexico City is the same as some other parts.
Hey man at the end of the day, I'm just stating a common public opinion. 😉

On 6/27/2022 at 10:38 PM, SpecialK said:

I find a lot of these CONCACAF youth tournaments usually do not draw well 

11 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

Would I go to Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Reynosa or Matamoros?? Negative...

But anywhere outside of the border towns are fine...Monterrey is an amazing city...super underrated

I think Monterrey is the wealthiest city per capita in Mexico .Plus I would love to see a game at the new Staduim Estadio BBVA