Match Thread: CONCACAF U-20 - Group Stage - Canada v St. Kitts and Nevis - June 22, 2022 - 4pm ET/1pm PT

narduch

I think it's premature to talk about facing Mexico when we have a QF to advance from first. We look set to play either Panama or Guatemala, and considering our form I wouldn't assume we get past either, though it'll be nice to head into that fixture coming off a 4 goal win, even if it was against the weakest side in the tournament. 

If we are playing Mexico in the SF that means we've qualified for the U-20 world cup. And honestly considering what we've seen thus far I would be thrilled just to take that. Olympic qualification for me would just be a bonus. 

Only 2 teams qualify anyways and so if we weren't facing Mexico we'd probably have to face the USA, so I don't see much of a difference. Beating either in a SF match would be a tough ask so meh, bring on the Mexicans (should we even get that far).

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think it's premature to talk about facing Mexico when we have a QF to advance from first. We look set to play either Panama or Guatemala, and considering our form I wouldn't assume we get past either, though it'll be nice to head into that fixture coming off a 4 goal win, even if it was against the weakest side in the tournament. 

If we are playing Mexico in the SF that means we've qualified for the U-20 world cup. And honestly considering what we've seen thus far I would be thrilled just to take that. Olympic qualification for me would just be a bonus. 

Only 2 teams qualify anyways and so if we weren't facing Mexico we'd probably have to face the USA, so I don't see much of a difference. Beating either in a SF match would be a tough ask so meh, bring on the Mexicans (should we even get that far).

We play Panama/Guatemala in the R16. If we win that we will (likely) play Mexico in the QF. So, assuming we get past the next round, we will (again, likely) have to beat Mexico to qualify for the SF (and therefore the u20 WC)

Since we messed up against Cuba we have Mexico in the QF instead of Honduras, assuming we get to the QF. 

Honduras are serial qualifiers for youth tournaments, and they are home, so I am not sure they would have been any better than to face than Mexico, plus Panama and Guatemala are 6 in 1, half a dozen in the other. Therefore, I don't think we lost much of anything by failing to beat Cuba, aside from pride and confidence perhaps.