Match Thread: CONCACAF U-20 - Group Stage - Canada v USA - June 20, 2022 - 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT

narduch

2 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

As a pure shot-stopper, Alexander has been great. Tested a lot and made some difficult saves.

but holy fuck, his distribution is awful

Is this somewhat common with our keepers. Maybe i am mixing up my footballers at the minute. I know Hasal was criticized for it, crepeau for years and borjan can be iffy. 

Edited by toontownman

5 minutes ago, gator said:

We need to go for this in the waning minutes, a loss is essentially the same as a draw, a win would put us in a better position next round for sure!

I get the math but we are absolutely playing for the draw right now. We don’t deserve a point from this game so I think we are just looking for a positive result to build on.  

Might seem nuts to say, but I think the crap field helped us tonight. These games are so hard to watch on such shit surfaces. Our lads were scrappy, but we have NO identity.  Hard to have identity when the manager does not build one AND when you get no time to build chemistry. 

Let's see how they grow over the next two games. Smith has real promise. Perhaps a future star CB for the MNT? He's got the height.

A 2-2 draw with an apperently stacked US team looks good on paper but we were dominated in a match we really needed to win! Even though we were under pressure for most of the match I thought there were some good individual efforts and that is mostly what I look for in these tournaments where we are always ill prepared it seems!

12 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Is this somewhat common with our keepers. Maybe i am mixing up my footballers at the minute. I know Hasal was criticized for it, crepeau for years and borjan can be iffy. 

Imo Crepeau is the best distributor in our pool rn. Borjan is good for one blip a game.

Just now, kacbru said:

Watching that, it's really, really hard to be excited.  They look naive, timid, unstructured and lost.  But we did draw the US, which is an accomplishment.  And Smith looks great.

I agree, but: Whom from our squad could step into a MLS lineup or even start on an MLS team? The USA has several on their U-20 roster. That is the player difference. As for coaching, Biello did today what he ought to have done against Cuba. Start the strongest, go for the lead and sub to defend later.

I was just watching tactical manager love watch along and near the beggining they were talking about how Canada isn’t missing any players and this is their best team yet the US is missing like 10, i can’t disagree on the US side but we’re not missing anyone????? JMR could be the best player in the tournament, kosi Thompson would be very important to the team, Lucas Dias would be one out best attackers, Luca koleosho would be our best attacker and would be one of the best in the tourney, Owen Goodman would be our #1 goalie and probably top 2/3 in tourney and Jules Anthony Vilisant would be a starting winger. That’s 6 players who would be locked in starters, these guys are supposed to be anaylists who know things not just cocky Americans 

2 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

I was just watching tactical manager love watch along and near the beggining they were talking about how Canada isn’t missing any players and this is their best team yet the US is missing like 10, i can’t disagree on the US side but we’re not missing anyone????? JMR could be the best player in the tournament, kosi Thompson would be very important to the team, Lucas Dias would be one out best attackers, Luca koleosho would be our best attacker and would be one of the best in the tourney, Owen Goodman would be our #1 goalie and probably top 2/3 in tourney and Jules Anthony Vilisant would be a starting winger. That’s 6 players who would be locked in starters, these guys are supposed to be anaylists who know things not just cocky Americans 

Tactical Manager is a fucking idiot

9 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

I agree, but: Whom from our squad could step into a MLS lineup or even start on an MLS team? The USA has several on their U-20 roster. That is the player difference. As for coaching, Biello did today what he ought to have done against Cuba. Start the strongest, go for the lead and sub to defend later.

I mean I think Smith could play the Michael Bradley role for TFC better than Michael Bradley has this year - but otherwise, point taken