Renditions of BMO Field expansion for the 2026 World Cup.

Cblake

4 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

I agree, there’s no way the World Cup should be in Qatar because of their human rights record, and this has been discussed in large detail, but I posted that video to see what is possible.  Surely Toronto could have built 1 nice new stadium (vs. 8).  Eventually Toronto will get an NFL franchise… this would have been a perfect opportunity to pair with a prospective NFL owner and get the stadium built.

Window passed TO for NFL in terms of cost. There are no owners to pair up with.

Need an owner who can pay US$4-5 billion for team + build a $1-2 billion stadium. NFL doesn't accept majority corporate owners. Tim Leiweke was recently quoted in the Star that it's all but over for Toronto getting an NFL team.

And in terms of generating revenue growth for the NFL, they have shifted to amping their international marketing rather than expansion.

This article says bookies have us as 4th favourites to get the next NFL franchise.  https://globalnews.ca/news/8830845/toronto-nfl-expansion-franchise/

I’m trying to come up with reasons as to why we should have built a new stadium for the WC… we could have built with an eye on renovating for NFL if we ever got one, to keep the cost down a bit.  A bit of a dream I guess, but kind of embarrassed with what we’ll be showing the world.  

I do laugh at the arguments that Toronto isn’t an NFL city because fans didn’t want to shell out hundreds of dollars to see a  bad team that wasn’t their own. I was very proud that the majority gave a collective middle finger to the promoters of those games who thought they could fleece the public.  Also, Toronto doesn’t support the CFL because it’s ‘minor league’ in their eyes.  
As for an owner, Canada has over 50 Billionaires.. I’m sure one will eventually want in.  

40 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I think that's how the US views Toronto, not like London or Paris but more like San Antonio and Birmingham

yup , still rather watch a futbol match at bmo than plastic field  with curtains bc place

whats with  the hate everything toronto,you must live in bc?

Edited by reggietfc

10 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

yup , still rather watch a futbol match at bmo than plastic field  with curtains bc place

Why is it whenever someone says something about Toronto the insults come out about the west, usually Alberta.  Wrong end of the country, and any enmity I might have for Toronto has been well earned, and re-earned when I saw people here throwing shade on the Edmonton bid.  I didn't have a horse in that race but found one to back because of the actions of some.

6 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Why is it whenever someone says something about Toronto the insults come out about the west, usually Alberta.  Wrong end of the country, and any enmity I might have for Toronto has been well earned, and re-earned when I saw people here throwing shade on the Edmonton bid.  I didn't have a horse in that race but found one to back because of the actions of some.

I find those people insecure. It’s almost like a billionaire having to flaunt off his riches to people who have average incomes.

As someone who lives in the GTA, I expect better on a lot of fronts for the city, we should have at least one world class stadium, so outside of that - sometimes the criticism is warranted. 

So @reggietfc, see it as this…

(here comes the satirical analogy)

…We are the parents who run the household, any criticism from the children is only so we can make things better for the entire family. When outsiders look at the family, they look too the parents for the good and the bad. The children are just a creature of their nature.

😁

5 hours ago, reggietfc said:

It's not about BMO vs BC Place.  We're just discussing both their shortcomings.  

That being said, yes I think its unfortunate these two stadiums will be showcasing Canada on the world stage.  However between this and the absolutely pathetic situation which is the stadium Brazil built in the jungle and the money Greece wasted on infrastructure they just let rot away after the Olympics, I'd rather our situation.  Peace.

I don't think too many people think it's unfortunate BC Place will be showcasing Canada but I thoroughly agree with your final sentences.

I think a small part of the reason why we don't splurge the biggest of monies on stadiums is their utility.  This is Canada, unless they are a more expensive dome they will not be used for half the year.  Just to throw some costs out there from years past, the IGF stadium's roof cost 35 million dollars, Mosaic in Regina while in the initial stages wanting a dome, decided against it when it added another 100 million to the cost.

No one loves a beautiful stadium more than me, that's why I started this thread but there has to be a limit.  Would I rather 100 million go to new equipment for a hospital or a new stadium.  Now I know that is not how decisions are made but it is a mindset and I think a lot of Canadians have it.  Qatar has to do something like they are doing , that's why they are doing it.

And when we try to compare with others it is usually apples to oranges.  Cheap labour, less stringent building codes, weather proofing are some cost saving measures that other countries many not have to face, we do.  In that flurry of new stadiums and refurbishments, (nearly one a year), I think we got great bang for the buck.  Not much talk of any white elephants among them and I think not having that is something most of us can be happy about.

I have zero doubt Toronto would support an NFL team of their own if it ever happened....people in the GTA love the NFL and you see it (when the border is open) with caravans of Canadians crossing the border to Buffalo to watch games....you see it the other direction in Detroit with the Lions for people in Windsor/London

^ Do you?  I have my doubts.

That's a lot of seats to fill, very expensive seats.  If any place in Canada would get the corporate support for the venture it would be Toronto but man, that's still a big ask.

I'm not sure the tax code in Ontario/Canada allows for the same hospitality benefits most NFL franchises in the US use to their advantage.

Edited by Cheeta

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Who is going to pony up the near 1 billion or more for a stadium?  They won't be seeing any government money.  If the NFL can do without Los Angeles for a few years I don't think Toronto is real important to them.

It's not important to the NFL, but I firmly believe if the NFL came to Toronto they'd support it quite well

I feel like people watch NFL for the fantasy, and the glitz/glamour. Throwball isn’t culturally ingrained hear like it is south of the border for it to have the interested needed for the would be high ass ticket prices. 

GTAnians have the money for posh events (seen it Raptors championship playoff run) the team would have to be Patriots level successful within a few years to maintain said interest. But as we see in MLS it’s not about how much money you can spend…

We need more world class stadiums. The Skydome has aged like a dog, and BMO looks like it was built for a NFP organization aka on a strict budget. 

22 minutes ago, Shway said:

I feel like people watch NFL for the fantasy, and the glitz/glamour. Throwball isn’t culturally ingrained hear like it is south of the border for it to have the interested needed for the would be high ass ticket prices. 

GTAnians have the money for posh events (seen it Raptors championship playoff run) the team would have to be Patriots level successful within a few years to maintain said interest. But as we see in MLS it’s not about how much money you can spend…

We need more world class stadiums. The Skydome has aged like a dog, and BMO looks like it was built for a NFP organization aka on a strict budget. 

Skydome aka Rogers Centre does suck...the Jays are stuck in that place for a while I'm afraid...they literally built that place 5 years too soon....think of all the cool ballparks that have come since then and the Jays are stuck with this concrete dump

22 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

Skydome aka Rogers Centre does suck...the Jays are stuck in that place for a while I'm afraid...they literally built that place 5 years too soon....think of all the cool ballparks that have come since then and the Jays are stuck with this concrete dump

The crazy thing is Camden Yards in Baltimore, which lead to the rethinking about how a MLB stadium should be designed, opened only 3 years after the SkyDome 

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

The crazy thing is Camden Yards in Baltimore, which lead to the rethinking about how a MLB stadium should be designed, opened only 3 years after the SkyDome 

Yeah I guess it was three year later...man that place was so ahead of its time and to this day is still an amazing place to watch a baseball game

1 hour ago, Califax said:

Two, a key part of the NFL is the tailgating experience and until Toronto grows up and realizes that drinking a beer in a parking lot won’t destroy society, it shouldn’t get into the football market. 

I could've thought there was tailgating rules implemented? Especially around the BMO grounds?
Canada v Jamaica game a lot of people were doing it, it was just subdued due to the freezing cold. 

1 hour ago, Califax said:

Two things.

One,  if the NFL came to Toronto it would kill Buffalo.

Two, a key part of the NFL is the tailgating experience and until Toronto grows up and realizes that drinking a beer in a parking lot won’t destroy society, it shouldn’t get into the football market. 

Would it kill Buffalo? I imagine there are enough diehards in upstate NY to negate any loss from Ontario (see Green Bay and consider the proximity to Chicagoland).

I agree with the 2nd point, but I am not sure Buffalo depends on Toronro, they just benefit from it (probably).

Toronto folks, are there many diehard Bills fans in the GTA, or do people casually go once in a blue moon due to the proximity? Which of these is most true?

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Dem's fightin' woids, of course you know this means war! 

Ok, that's all the cartoon catchphrases I have. :)

I thought his curtains comment was funny, let's call it "drapery". So my scaffolding was to reference the towers holding up the roofs at BMO. 

BC Place got called "tampon" in the early years, and plenty of bowl-like stadiums are "toilets". 

We've got 2 for a World Cup and it's fun to chirp at each other.