Match Thread: CONCACAF U-20 - Group Stage - Canada v Cuba - June 18, 2022 - 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT

narduch

16 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I know we’re down but there’s some ball skills and play that I have not seen from Canadian teams ever. New level of comfort with the ball.

Agreed except we need to stop trying to ice a cake we forgot to bake. 

Set pieces have been atrocious. We just haven't been switched on in the defensive side and bullied too much in midfield. 

We need to be a bit more direct and physical.

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Agreed except we need to stop trying to ice a cake we forgot to bake. 

Set pieces have been atrocious. We just haven't been switched on in the defensive side and bullied too much in midfield. 

We need to be a bit more direct and physical.

With the ball minus that pass we have been good, but without it awful, we also need to get a shotz

42 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

Getting this competition correct could set us up for a few years of massive growth and learning for our players and program leading into 2026 with U20 World Cup, Olympics, etc. After qualification for our Senior team, this should have been a significant focus. It doesn’t feel like it has been and that may end up being a missed opportunity IMO. 

I remember reading that while the Olympic teams to get more notice (at least in this part of the world), it's the U20 where there's more corollation between success that and at the full MNT level. So if your U20 team is struggling, it's more likely to be a problem down the road for the MNT. So for instance, the US team was poor at the 2009 and 2013 World Cups and didn't qualify at all in 2011, and then missed the men's WC in 2018.

Just now, VinceA said:

Every cycle we get excited, and every cycle we are deflated. These fucking coaches, from Rob Gale to Biello and Oliveri now have no idea how to deal with CONCACAF youth tournaments.

Is it just down to the coach if we’ve had so many coaches? Could it be that there are other problems?