Match Thread: CONCACAF U-20 - Group Stage - Canada v Cuba - June 18, 2022 - 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT

narduch

7 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Previous cycles made a point of having lots of camps and pointing out how that would prepare players for the tournament environment. It didn’t work.

Lack of camps didn’t help, but why would it have changed things this time?

What cycles? You’re talking out your ass. We’ve never had multiple camps at the youth level before a tournament. Never.

Edited by Shway

While I'm at it, what the fuck was with the lineswomen? Once Cuba took the lead thanks to two shitty passes (because the pass to Knight-Lebel was stupid one to begin with), they would keep the flag down if a Cuban player was blatantly offside, thus eating up more of the clock, but if Canada made a through ball where the player was clearly onside or looked pretty close, they'd put up the flag immediately to snuff out a promising Canadian attack, which happened at least twice if not more. It's not why we lost but the double-whammy inconsistency drove me nuts.

Costa, Abatneh, Coimbra..... No one should ever hype these players again until you've actually seen them play.  Anyone in Canadian media (Nef, Galindo, Wheeler, Ruzic) who is talking about these players, I put my life on it, they've never ever seen them play.  Find someone in those countries, ask them rather.  I'm saying this as someone who's been quite out spoken on a few of these boy's level on this forum.  

Smith and Henry were very bright to start, the only two trying to push the play forward with intention.  Front three was disastrous.  Catavolo, ok he's active, he's always wanting to be on the ball, but WHAT DOES HE DO WITH IT?!  The subs couldn't even show one bit of urgency anywhere in the last 10-15 mins, there's no intelligence or creativity in the final third.  Hugo and Coimbra couldn't offer a single thing, not even effort.  Lowell the only one who was somewhat active and he was drifting deep and wide to get on the ball.  Habibullah was one of the main players in the last U17 qualifying and World Cup, to not even have the guys who know this competition come off the bench??  The single most creative talent on the roster can't get a minute trailing 1-0 to Cuba...  They clearly wanted more width, why not someone like Assi who was the other standout at the U15 CONCACAF with JMR and knows the type of competition??  

This is Cuba man, ONE PLAYER in and MLS academy the rest playing in the domestic league.  Let's stop this nonsense about our guys in the CPL and competing with the US, the US would NEVER have this result. 

5 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Costa, Abatneh, Coimbra..... No one should ever hype these players again until you've actually seen them play.  Anyone in Canadian media (Nef, Galindo, Wheeler, Ruzic) who is talking about these players, I put my life on it, they've never ever seen them play.  Find someone in those countries, ask them rather.  I'm saying this as someone who's been quite out spoken on a few of these boy's level on this forum.  

Smith and Henry were very bright to start, the only two trying to push the play forward with intention.  Front three was disastrous.  Catavolo, ok he's active, he's always wanting to be on the ball, but WHAT DOES HE DO WITH IT?!  The subs couldn't even show one bit of urgency anywhere in the last 10-15 mins, there's no intelligence or creativity in the final third.  Hugo and Coimbra couldn't offer a single thing, not even effort.  Lowell the only one who was somewhat active and he was drifting deep and wide to get on the ball.  Habibullah was one of the main players in the last U17 qualifying and World Cup, to not even have the guys who know this competition come off the bench??  The single most creative talent on the roster can't get a minute trailing 1-0 to Cuba...  They clearly wanted more width, why not someone like Assi who was the other standout at the U15 CONCACAF with JMR and knows the type of competition??  

This is Cuba man, ONE PLAYER in and MLS academy the rest playing in the domestic league.  Let's stop this nonsense about our guys in the CPL and competing with the US, the US would NEVER have this result. 

The classic “but look at this club!” Hyping of youth national team players is a tradition in these parts. Please don’t take that from everyone, they need it.

I see Catavalo live every 2nd week in the CPL, you did a great job of describing his playing style.

Edited by Soccerpro2

20 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

You can see all the previous camps here https://canadasoccer.com/national-teams/excel-teams/?gender=male&teamId=2078

I eagerly await you admitting your error.

Facking hell. I was talking  out of my ass.
I stand corrected. 

But okay so we did it once before, and that’s reason for that it will never work?

I think this squad has the most professional experience we’ve ever seen. Slapping guys together and saying go let’s make magic will never work. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Facking hell. I was talking  out of my ass.
I stand corrected. 

But okay so we did it once before, and that’s reason for that it will never work?

I think this squad has the most professional experience we’ve ever seen. Slapping guys together and saying go let’s make magic will never work. 

I appreciate your response.

I’m not arguing that more camps wouldn’t have helped. More would have been better.

I only pointed out that “lots of camps=qualification” has been tried and didn’t worK before, either.

Edited by Soccerpro2

41 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Nothing like spending 4 straight hours in frustration watching soccer….

I got you beat. I went to the York United 0-0 game against Pacific. Came home and watched TFC lose 2-0. Then watched this game (delayed obviously) to see Canada lose 1-0. 3 games watched, 0 goals for the teams I was cheering for.

That game was terrible. We showed absolutely nothing. We were beaten by the better team today. All we did well was pass it side to side among the defenders and make one or two passes afterwards. There was a point in the first half when it was still 0-0 when I realized "We have had the ball almost the whole game. But actually now that I think about it, it's been in our half most of the game as well."

We created nothing other than that one header off of the crossbar. It was kind of like our CMNT game against USA in Hamilton where we all laughed at Berhalter for thinking his team dominated despite losing 2-0. We didn't do anything other than what Cuba allowed us to do. They put the shortest guy on the field in net after going down to 10 men and we didn't come close to testing him, aside from one lofted shot from about 45 yards out.

I wasn't hyped about this team since we were missing Thompson and JMR (I don't know if there are others as well), but even so this was a disappointment.

Just finished watching the game in replay (after watching TFC, apparently my wife didn’t want to immediately watch another soccer game). What a steaming pile of shit that was.  It was like watching the CMNT of old - disjoined and unable in any way to break down a team that should be inferior.  His damn that was frustrating.  Sloppy plays, dumb mistakes and lack of focus. Fack.  Even with a man up we couldn’t  create quality chances.  Happy Father’s Day indeed… 

Look, I agree with others about hyping players they don't watch. I can't stand it. See from the popular journalists on twitter, I see it here etc But holy shit some of you guys need to breathe.

Comments liked how only 1 player is good enough? Based on what? those 45 minutes that a majority of them played? Is this how you evaluate players? We're really throwing the towel on all these players for one match?

And people mocking others for daring to think a team with MLS,CPL, and European based players are capable of beating Cuba? What an odd ego stroke.