September Friendly Predictions

Obinna

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I hope at least one of the games gets them at least moderately paid. You'd think Davies/David/Buchanan would be enough for the opposition to market a Canada game around and the team as a whole make the game worthwhile as an opponent.

The entire world thinks our team are a bunch of pro ams with an overrated bundesliga player. I think the allure of playing Canada in Europe is the same as Iran was for us, ie here’s a World Cup quality side who we don’t typically pay, this is better than if we were gonna play the same UEFA country for a fiftieth time. 

I think England may have an interest in playing us only because they may think it is a similar matchup as the USA and would be good world cup prep for them. Same would go for Wales I guess

Edited by pod818

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

People need to stop dreaming about a Euro opponent. Uefa Nations League makes it impossible again.

Only Iceland and Israel are available and that is only because Russia has been booted from the competition. 

We should try to play an African side and a South American side

This +100000000

Our options are:

Iceland, Israel, Burundi, New Zealand, an AFC team or a CONMEBOL team.

All the other options are CONCACAF teams or minnows.

We may even do the ol' switcheroo with the USA. While they play Japan, we play Saudi Arabia and while they play Saudi Arabia, we play Japan.

15 minutes ago, narduch said:

People need to stop dreaming about a Euro opponent. Uefa Nations League makes it impossible again.

Only Iceland and Israel are available and that is only because Russia has been booted from the competition. 

Portugal, Spain, Czechia and Switzerland all play their first game September 24. Other groups start earlier. Maybe we can play one of these teams on the earliest possible date in the September window?

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

Portugal, Spain, Czechia and Switzerland all play their first game September 24. Other groups start earlier. Maybe we can play one of these teams on the earliest possible date in the September window?

How though? Players will have a weekend club game on September 17 or 18.

37 minutes ago, narduch said:

For African sides I would go with Tunisia or Senegal or even my country of Ghana for Canada to play in a friendly 

As far as South American sides I would go with Ecuador or Uruguay for a friendly 

44 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

For African sides I would go with Tunisia or Senegal or even my country of Ghana for Canada to play in a friendly 

As far as South American sides I would go with Ecuador or Uruguay for a friendly 

Have heard this week that the CSA was trying to book Tunisia initially instead of Iran, but Tunisia was asking for more while almost certainly being a smaller gate. But it makes me think the lines of dialog are open with them.

In terms of potential South American WC-bound opponents, Uruguay have now already played three friendlies against Concacaf teams, winning 3-0 against Mexico, drawing the US 0-0 and blowing out Panama 5-0. They also were originally lined up to play Jamaica. So on the one hand they clearly don't feel that prepping against Concacaf teams is beneath them (unless Panama's performance against them have suddenly convinced them otherwise). On the other hand, for September they might be saying "enough with Concacaf already" since they have already played 3 of the top 5 teams from the region (based on Hex qualifying).

I know it's not the level we want, but with Russia out of their group, Israel may promote to 1st tier Nations League. Then again, Turkey are in league C, playing quasi minnows. 

Nations League is an interesting way to caliber a region's strength, over the longer term especially. 

I'm not advocating playing Israel or Iceland btw. 

Honestly, playing against Russia would be a PR nightmare that would dwarf anything we have gotten recently!

With Iran a case could be made that, while they should have been better prepared for the PR stuff or pass on Iran, the CSA thought they were ok based on other cultural and sports figure from there being allowed in. With Russia no argument like that can be made: it is crystal clear that playing sporting competitions with Russia is seen as beyond the pale by the Government of Canada and Canadian Society as a whole since late february. The public, the politicians, the media and probably some of the players too will strongly object, to say the least. FIFA might not be object to a friendly but they are definitely not gonna be impressed...

Hell, even the IOC, who tend to be most morally reprehensibly lenient of all international sports organisations and has done their level best to have their doping-related issue being treated with kids gloves, has banned them indefinitely!

This is one of the last things we need right now.

1 hour ago, phil03 said:

Honestly, playing against Russia would be a PR nightmare that would dwarf anything we have gotten recently!

With Iran a case could be made that, while they should have been better prepared for the PR stuff or pass on Iran, the CSA thought they were ok based on other cultural and sports figure from there being allowed in. With Russia no argument like that can be made: it is crystal clear that playing sporting competitions with Russia is seen as beyond the pale by the Government of Canada and Canadian Society as a whole since late february. The public, the politicians, the media and probably some of the players too will strongly object, to say the least. FIFA might not be object to a friendly but they are definitely not gonna be impressed...

Hell, even the IOC, who tend to be most morally reprehensibly lenient of all international sports organisations and has done their level best to have their doping-related issue being treated with kids gloves, has banned them indefinitely!

This is one of the last things we need right now.

As far as PR nightmare, playing Russia I definitely agree

It would be great to play France and Serbia considering the similarity in quality and playing styles of Belgium and Croatia. However, there is part of me that doesn't want to play such good teams because I want Canada to have the element of surprise for their WC matches. I really hope that Herdman uses multiple in-game formations so that we keep other teams on their toes.  But honestly, we need to test ourselves - regardless of the results. England, Germany, Italy, Spain, France... bring it!