September Friendly Predictions

Obinna

Earl Cochrane suggested we are close to finalizing our plans for the Sept window.

Would be fun to speculate on opponents, location and number of friendlies.

I'll go first:

Number of games: 3 (very un-CSA, but they owe us)

Opponents: Wales, Poland, England

Logic: Herdman brings the team back to his motherland. Easy to get to (relative to the continent) and we have several players already based there. Plus, he gets to put himself in the British shop window (joking...kinda).

England and Wales could be interested in using Canada as a proxy for the States, while Poland has a lot of Ex-pats living in the UK, so perhaps a friendly there makes sense. And it may  be a stretch, but perhaps the Poles see Mexico in their group and accept a match with us because....concacaf. 

For us, we are probably looking for at least one elite team, so the group can experience what that feels like (Herdman mentioned the desire to do that). England would fit the bill. Poland could be prep for Croatia, being an upper-middle European side (plus they are Eastern European - if you believe that matters). Wales is probably the team we don't need to play, as they aren't good enough to be likened to Belgium or Croatia, but not every friendly decision rom now to Qatar is going to be driven by who is best for us. I believe a few warm ups are going to be driven by what's best for them, if you know what I mean. 

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

01C962FC-6C2F-4F58-B3A3-36377359ACEB.jpeg

When does the window start and end? 

Funny, it doesn't get better than playing Germany and Italy, so while neither are the States, Wales or Iran, do you really need another match to prep for the world cup here if you're England?

England are sitting in last place and won't want to get relegated, so these NL matches actually matter (Imagine that!)

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

When does the window start and end? 

Funny, it doesn't get better than playing Germany and Italy, so while neither are the States, Wales or Iran, do you really need another match to prep for the world cup here if you're England?

England are sitting in last place and won't want to get relegated, so these NL matches actually matter (Imagine that!)

There's 4 days before their first game but England will want to use those days to prepare. The window closes the day after their second game, so no time for a third game.

Possibly CONMEBOL teams join the NL for the next edition and if that comes to pass then only two teams might be relegated from League A.

53 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This may be a short thread in that case, @Alex.

Where did you hear that? I wonder if France and Algeria would be opponents in that case? I have never been to Marseille, but have been to other cities along and nearby the Mediterranean, so I am sure that'll be a fantastic spot for camp and the boys will enjoy. 

I’ll go find the tweet. Duane Rollins posted it for what it’s worth lol

2 minutes ago, Blondo said:

There's 4 days before their first game but England will want to use those days to prepare. The window closes the day after their second game, so no time for a third game.

Possibly CONMEBOL teams join the NL for the next edition and if that comes to pass then only two teams might be relegated from League A.

Never heard that before. Interesting. Would be a shame in my eyes. Gives me Super League vibes.

I do understand it from the CONMEBOL point of view, though. Some big teams are left out in the cold from UEFA nations league. Not a lot of friendly options, and you can only learn so much playing the same 9 teams all the time. 

Maybe hypocritical of me to suggest, but wouldn't it make more sense to move toward joining CONCACAF nations league?

The opponents aren't as strong, but the working relationship is there with the expanded Copa America in 2016, and the travel makes a lot more sense. 

Thought experiment here:

League A

Group A - Brazil, Chile, Canada, El Salvador

Group B - Argentina, Peru, Costa Rica, Jamaica

Group C - Mexico, Colombia, Ecuador, Panama

Group D - Uruguay, USA, Paraguay, Venezuela

League B

Group A - Bolivia, Guatemala, T&T, Guyana

Group B - Honduras, Haiti, Cuba, Antigua & Barbuda

Group C - Martinique, Grenada, French Guiana, Bermuda

Group D - Curacao, Suriname, Guadeloupe, Nicaragua

.........and so on.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Apparently the camp will be in Marseille and my guess is Algeria 

I'll take that. In fact we'd heard something similar before, amidst all the rumours. 

Algeria, or Tunisia. Then we'd have to get the strongest possible rival for a 2nd game. Maybe since the UEFA teams are not available, a S American rival. 

As suggested above, it could work just as well in Toulouse or Montpelier or the Nice stadium. 

Been to Marseille many times, I like it. Has its edge, we'd have a massively pro Algeria/Tunisia crowd. Stadium is in a posher area. But we don't have to train in any city as long as it's not far to go play there. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I hope at least one of the games gets them at least moderately paid. You'd think Davies/David/Buchanan would be enough for the opposition to market a Canada game around and the team as a whole make the game worthwhile as an opponent.

In France, and esp Southern France, any match vs Morocco, Tunisia or Algeria would sell out fast. And no one would care about Canada, only we're good enough to keep prices up.