Concacaf Nations League Match #2: Honduras v Canada - Monday, 13 June, 7 pm PT / 10 pm ET - San Pedro Sula

narduch

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I lived next to a geologist for 10 years.  They were the single most miserable person I have ever encountered in my life.

Just throwing that out there for absolutely no reason at all...

Did he have a crawlspace in his house.......a lot of us do.   

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So tell us the scoop on Hemlo, that was a story that was amazing, but you never knew what was true.

LOL, don't remember much about Hemlo, but I did know one of the geologists credited with the initial find. Still lives in St. Catharines I think.  Completely accidental find wasn't it, from the little I can remember.

3 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I lived next to a geologist for 10 years.  They were the single most miserable person I have ever encountered in my life.

Just throwing that out there for absolutely no reason at all...

I think I'm a pretty easy guy to get along with.  Although most on here don't like my miserable take on pitch invaders! 😄

Edited by Ivan
spelling

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

LOL, don't remember much about Hemlo, but I did know one of the geologists credited with the initial find. Still lives in St. Catharines I think.  Completely accidental find wasn't it, from the little I can remember.

David Bell??  Sorry I have heard some of this story...maybe even in the Northern Liar..um Miner.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

David Bell??  Sorry I have heard some of this story...maybe even in the Northern Liar..um Miner.  

What I love about Hemlo is how I've been in the mountains out of Ross River looking for gold, or have flown into very complicated airstrips like Johnny Mountain on the Iskut, and they find it driving along the TransCanada (simplifying). 

So that's economic geology, find a deposit near a road when prices are low and still be able to open the damn thing. 

22 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But we did it deliberately so it was gamesmanship. And I was fine with it. In fact euphoric. 

Honduras did nothing of the sort. 

All this ice-teca tough guy crap but we squeal like hell for conditions created by neutral factors we could have refused to play in. 

you’re speaking a bit in the abstract because you didn’t see the match. think of football as waterpolo or something, a depressing and complete joke. I hope, had we not refused to play the previous matches in this window, that we would have indeed refused to play this one. Hands a bit tied. But no less a bad joke. 

32 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Losing to Honduras in Nations League I have to admit watching highlights of this game again, I still am boggled as to how we lost.

You are boggled as to how we lost? I’ll tell you how. We play with speed and quick ball movements. Playing in water you can’t run fast and the ball won’t move. The team was essentially neutered and the game became a coin flip. 

Edited by Alex

2 hours ago, Alex said:

You are boggled as to how we lost? I’ll tell you how. We play with speed and quick ball movements. Playing in water you can’t run fast and the ball won’t move. The team was essentially neutered and the game became a coin flip. 

Players in central america grow up in these conditions. When its rains everyday for 2-3 months you are use to it, the same way we are use to playing on plastic fields or in gyms. To me, it looked like they had a major homefield advantage due to the elements. Our players couldnt/wouldnt adjust. It almost seemed like they tried to fight the weather instead of adapting. 

5 hours ago, Alex said:

True, but if you can't run or play the ball quickly, you have to adjust. We didn't do that. They did. So, it was only a coin flip because we never adjusted. If we forced the keeper to stand on his head it would have been different.

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

True, but if you can't run or play the ball quickly, you have to adjust. We didn't do that. They did. So, it was only a coin flip because we never adjusted. If we forced the keeper to stand on his head it would have been different.

The only way we could have adjusted other than trying to play down the left (right) flank in the first (2nd) half was to put in Cav and Larin and go long into the box and that assumes the player making the pass doesn't slip as he strikes the ball. But in those conditions Cav would have got a red card in under 1 minute. This team is just not built to play the long ball. No disrespect to our domestic leagues but a team of MLS/CPL players may have been better suited playing under those conditions

46 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The only way we could have adjusted other than trying to play down the left (right) flank in the first (2nd) half was to put in Cav and Larin and go long into the box and that assumes the player making the pass doesn't slip as he strikes the ball. But in those conditions Cav would have got a red card in under 1 minute. This team is just not built to play the long ball. No disrespect to our domestic leagues but a team of MLS/CPL players may have been better suited playing under those conditions

I know what you are getting at and I sort of agree, but it also sounds like you are saying worse players (ex. CPL) would have been better suited for those conditions. Know what I mean? 

I don't think our players are incapable of playing dirt ball to get results, they just haven't gained experience doing so. Perhaps a good experience for the young guys, as they'll have a decade or more of this kind of thing ahead of them.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I know what you are getting at and I sort of agree, but it also sounds like you are saying worse players (ex. CPL) would have been better suited for those conditions. Know what I mean? 

I don't think our players are incapable of playing dirt ball to get results, they just haven't gained experience doing so. Perhaps a good experience for the young guys, as they'll have a decade or more of this kind of thing ahead of them.

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

The players are too dogmatic, which might actually be ok in the long run process wise but hurt us in this match. Also, to say that we are not built for "long ball" doesn't hold water for me. Davies, Buchanan, Ugbo etc. are quick and powerful and thrive on balls into the channels. Isn't this exact strategy what makes people excited to be playing the "old" legs of Belgium and Croatia?

To say something like Cavallini would get a red card in under a minute just illustrates the point re: adapting. How dumb do you have to be to not be able to adjust your play in extreme conditions? For example, there was a massive puddle in the bottom right part of the pitch (relative to how we saw the pitch on TV). We constantly tried to pass through it. The Hondurans did not. It's not that they never played short passes along the ground, they just realized where the puddles were and remembered to not mess with them. This awareness is a skill, one that Honduras is better at than Canada.

You can say that these pitch conditions don't happen at the WC, and you'd be right (and for the record once again, I do not believe the match should have been played). But game awareness is a general skill. In Qatar referees will have different personalities, games will have different patterns, and the temperature may play a factor. To be able to adjust yourself to each individual match and its unique meta is important no matter the conditions.

This whole clip was full of jokes.

- the dual slips
- herdman quickly getting the ball only for the coach to  head it back, and then immediately reach for a handshake 
- the referee giving a RED card for dissent

On 6/16/2022 at 3:11 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

What I love about Hemlo is how I've been in the mountains out of Ross River looking for gold, or have flown into very complicated airstrips like Johnny Mountain on the Iskut, and they find it driving along the TransCanada (simplifying). 

So that's economic geology, find a deposit near a road when prices are low and still be able to open the damn thing. 

Last derail, I worked for an engineering company so I was more on the mine stability, construction and hydrogeology side as opposed to exploration.

Fun fact - MLS and WC VAR referee Drew Fischer is a hydrogeologist and we worked for the same company (I retired two years ago), although our paths never crossed.

Just now, Obinna said:

Going uncapped for 4 years and then managing to get red carded without actually seeing the field has to be some kind of record. 

It is very poor discipline, but I blame the captains for not protecting guys like Raheem. In fact it really bothers me. The generals should not be sending recent conscripts in to do the dirty work, they have to be coddled. It is not a street gang where you have to prove your worth doing a dirty deed.

We are going to have serious problems if this is not sorted out. A team that is constantly getting into brawls, winning or losing, will end up disappointing fans and themselves.