Concacaf Nations League Match #2: Honduras v Canada - Monday, 13 June, 7 pm PT / 10 pm ET - San Pedro Sula

narduch

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Man some of us around here have more in common than we realize.

Talking about the geology, not the 70 year old cougars :)

Man I would never have guessed it would be Obinna and UT that I would be swapping fly in camp stories with.  What scared me was up close to Hundsons bay and the polar bears.  I never saw one but knowing they were around and not seeing them was even spookier. 

On a more cheerfull note it is worth noting that the us are currently loosing in El Salvador, this despite doing pretty well in their friendlies, including a convincing win over Morroco. There is therefore at least some ground to think that getting concafed doesnt mean we wont do well against better opponents but in more normal conditions.

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I suppose I just blocked things out, but will take another look. 

Another thing I did not mention: we put our rivals under extreme cold, deliberately (Honduras did not schedule rain, and this match was being played later in reduced heat). So us complaining about the conditions when threat of frostbite and other physical harm  at the temperatures we were submitting rivals to was real. Maybe a sane Concacaf ref should have not had us play those. But here we are, railing at the useless ref last night.

BTW, we barely hung on to avoid a draw vs Mexico, and Costa Rica actually played well and only fell to a keeper error that Keylor would not have made. The US was not phased either, they had possession only without creating danger. Conclusion: they did pretty well to overcome a weather diversity we imposed. So what is our excuse when unpredictable and unplanned weather affects both teams?

Could be wrong on this but our extreme gamesmanship allowed matches to be semi-reasonably played. That Honduras pitch was one step further. And not playable for either side. 

2 hours ago, ECW said:

Could be wrong on this but our extreme gamesmanship allowed matches to be semi-reasonably played. That Honduras pitch was one step further. And not playable for either side. 

But we did it deliberately so it was gamesmanship. And I was fine with it. In fact euphoric. 

Honduras did nothing of the sort. 

All this ice-teca tough guy crap but we squeal like hell for conditions created by neutral factors we could have refused to play in. 

10 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

This was in one of the tweets in the thread above revealing Edwards red card:

Wait, wtf there's an extra red card handed out from this clip that wasn't shown on TV. Google says it was given to  Raheem Edwards of all people LMAOO. Poor guy never got to see a minute of the pitch.

9 hours ago, RJB said:

What door are they battering?

It seems to be a door leading to where some Honduran fans where, but it's really tough to tell. You can see Eustaquio telling someone off behind it, presumably he also speaks Spanish?

I think Tajon's comments were probably the most apt about the whole game though.

15 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Man I would never have guessed it would be Obinna and UT that I would be swapping fly in camp stories with.  What scared me was up close to Hundsons bay and the polar bears.  I never saw one but knowing they were around and not seeing them was even spookier. 

I don't personally have a polar bear story, but my honours supervisor from undergrad has a good one.

He and another guy were doing field work up north and they saw a polar bear charging at them from a distance. More specifically, the other guy saw the bear first and took off running as my prof was distracted taking a picture of something or another. By the time he put his camera down and noticed his colleague had taken off running toward the cabin, the bear was obviously a lot closer. And to make matters worse, when the other guy with the head start got to the cabin first, out of panic he actually opened the door and then slammed it shut again once he was inside, leaving my prof outside with this bear barreling down! Very fortunately, the guy came to his senses and opened the door once he realized what he had done, so my prof was able to get inside safely. Close call.

Anyways....something something soccer....something something f-honduras.....something something lol at Adekugbe kicking that dressing room door. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I don't personally have a polar bear story, but my honours supervisor from undergrad has a good one.

I was hauling rocks for a greybeard in northern Manitoba one summer and we had bear problems as soon as we landed on a remote lake.  That night when we crawled into our sleeping bags in the tent I noticed he got his knife out and laid it on the ground next to him.  So I ridiculed him about how he was going to fight this bear if it came into the tent.  He said the knife was so when the bear ripped his way in the tent, he could cut an exit hole on the other side and escape while it was mauling me.  And yeah..F#ck Honduras.  

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

He and another guy were doing field work up north and they saw a polar bear charging at them from a distance. More specifically, the other guy saw the bear first and took off running as my prof was distracted taking a picture of something or another. By the time he put his camera down and noticed his colleague had taken off running toward the cabin, the bear was obviously a lot closer. And to make matters worse, when the other guy with the head start got to the cabin first, out of panic he actually opened the door and then slammed it shut again once he was inside, leaving my prof outside with this bear barreling down! Very fortunately, the guy came to his senses and opened the door once he realized what he had done, so my prof was able to get inside safely. Close call.

Anyways....something something soccer....something something f-honduras.....something something lol at Adekugbe kicking that dressing room door. 

...but finish the story at least!

Never seen a polar bear but the problem in those cases is there is usually no cover other than a human construction. Or you hope the noise of a gunshot in the air is enough. Flares are very helpful.

I grew up with black bears in my yard as a kid though I never had a close call until later.

Once I went prospecting with my brother, plus a geologist, a crazy guy from Québec who could carve furniture with his chainsaw, and the camp leader, an older guy from Golden, Lorraine, who'd done a lot of assessing timber value in isolated crown land. Plus the very green teenage son of some friends of his. We were on a mountain lake between Terrace and Smithers. They'd already cut the base line across a km or so. Went out the first day together and we could smell something and there was a rotting moose think it was, with signs a bear had been around (big piles of blueberry hued shit, trampling of underbrush). Grizzlies can't digest totally fresh meat as easily and will let it sit, not extreme rot but more than we would eat, so often dirty a kill or bury it so the small mammals and birds don't get too much. 

So the next day Lorraine and the Quebec guy went out alone, we did work on the camp. They came back and confirmed a female was out there, but hadn't seen cubs. Then over dinner Lorraine tells a story: years earlier he'd been out assessing timber with 2 weeks supplies on his back, and another kid from Golden as an assistant, late spring. They walk into a meadow and all he can remember was seeing a couple of grizzly cubs. He woke up months later from a coma, and the kid told him the story. He'd shouted "split up!", they went for forest cover (if you find a medium-large tree and climb it you are fine, as grizzlies don't have the claws to climb certain trees up the bark of a trunk). The mother caught him and started mauling him, the kid watching in the bushes. Then after she half buried him, she left and the kid went for help. Probably the most impossible thing was he was able to follow a river down to a camp, which was like 15km away, convince them to call in the nearest chopper ambulance, then go back up and find the exact site, which if you know anything about untouched forest is virtually impossible. Lorraine was still alive, because the dirt had clotted his bleeding. They literally dug him out without cleaning him and eventually he was taken down to Vancouver. 

He says he was given over a thousand stitches, which is not so crazy if you understand a single swipe of a grizzly paw could mean dozens or more. We realised looking at him that his weather worn face was really scarred. 

Of course his friends' kid was scared shitless by this so he went out the rest of the time with my brother, who had more experience than I. I went out alone with my Winchester 30-30 and my pick, running the lines, soil sampling. My brother and the geologist got treed one day (that is a very funny term to teach English students, they loved that one) and I recall meeting them on the baseline at the end of the day and they said "didn't you hear the shots?" but I hadn't, I was quite a ways off on the other side of the rise. They'd seen her on the baseline and shot, then went up trees and waited (I have never seen anyone gratuitously kill any animal, ever, apart from preferring to avoid the paperwork). I never saw her, just her prints in the mud near where they'd been

If you want to know what a grizzly paw is like, put both hands spread out together, the forefingers crossing. Then imagine the claws reach out 3-4 inches above that, arching over and in.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...but finish the story at least!

Never seen a polar bear but the problem in those cases is there is usually no cover other than a human construction. Or you hope the noise of a gunshot in the air is enough. Flares are very helpful.

I grew up with black bears in my yard as a kid though I never had a close call until later.

Once I went prospecting with my brother, plus a geologist, a crazy guy from Québec who could carve furniture with his chainsaw, and the camp leader, an older guy from Golden, Lorraine, who'd done a lot of assessing timber value in isolated crown land. Plus the very green teenage son of some friends of his. We were on a mountain lake between Terrace and Smithers. They'd already cut the base line across a km or so. Went out the first day together and we could smell something and there was a rotting moose think it was, with signs a bear had been around (big piles of blueberry hued shit, trampling of underbrush). Grizzlies can't digest totally fresh meat as easily and will let it sit, not extreme rot but more than we would eat, so often dirty a kill or bury it so the small mammals and birds don't get too much. 

So the next day Lorraine and the Quebec guy went out alone, we did work on the camp. They came back and confirmed a female was out there, but hadn't seen cubs. Then over dinner Lorraine tells a story: years earlier he'd been out assessing timber with 2 weeks supplies on his back, and another kid from Golden as an assistant, late spring. They walk into a meadow and all he can remember was seeing a couple of grizzly cubs. He woke up months later from a coma, and the kid told him the story. He'd shouted "split up!", they went for forest cover (if you find a medium-large tree and climb it you are fine, as grizzlies don't have the claws to climb certain trees up the bark of a trunk). The mother caught him and started mauling him, the kid watching in the bushes. Then after she half buried him, she left and the kid went for help. Probably the most impossible thing was he was able to follow a river down to a camp, which was like 15km away, convince them to call in the nearest chopper ambulance, then go back up and find the exact site, which if you know anything about untouched forest is virtually impossible. Lorraine was still alive, because the dirt had clotted his bleeding. They literally dug him out without cleaning him and eventually he was taken down to Vancouver. 

He says he was given over a thousand stitches, which is not so crazy if you understand a single swipe of a grizzly paw could mean dozens or more. We realised looking at him that his weather worn face was really scarred. 

Of course his friends' kid was scared shitless by this so he went out the rest of the time with my brother, who had more experience than I. I went out alone with my Winchester 30-30 and my pick, running the lines, soil sampling. My brother and the geologist got treed one day (that is a very funny term to teach English students, they loved that one) and I recall meeting them on the baseline at the end of the day and they said "didn't you hear the shots?" but I hadn't, I was quite a ways off on the other side of the rise. They'd seen her on the baseline and shot, then went up trees and waited (I have never seen anyone gratuitously kill any animal, ever, apart from preferring to avoid the paperwork). I never saw her, just her prints in the mud near where they'd been

If you want to know what a grizzly paw is like, put both hands spread out together, the forefingers crossing. Then imagine the claws reach out 3-4 inches above that, arching over and in.

Crazy!

The best thing is when your own stories come back to you.  Me and my assistant in a canoe, little putt putt on the back going down a small creek.  I am in front we come around a bend and we are going to land at the first nice spot, I put my head down, get ready to jump out as we get close to shore, buddy throws the motor into reverse and starts hollering.  Turns out there is a bear sitting on shore 20 feet away watching us pull up.  By the time I look up all I see is a big black furry ass waddling away.   Years later around a campfire I hear that same story from a stranger except the bear stood up on its hind legs and tried to swat us and chased the canoe as we backpedaled up the creek.  So my rule of thumb is, if you get it second hand, its prob at least 50% bullshit.   

51 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A bear story is like a fish story, those telling it can always embellish. 

But if you know a bit, you can tell which parts are perfectly believable and which are less so. It also helps to know the person who is telling the story.

I worked as a geologist for 36 years!  Mostly Southern Ontario, but lots of fly-ins.  No polar bear stories, the bugs in summer were the worst thing I can remember.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't personally have a polar bear story, ...

Was told an old family story independently by several older relatives when I was kid. One of my ancestors was a Shetlander working on a whaling ship from Leith off Greenland way back some time in the 1800s. He was sent ashore to look for food or fresh water or something like that and got completely lost. With one boiled potato left to eat and not having a clue what to do next he decided to follow a polar bear he saw off in the distance and it promptly led him back to his ship. Moral of the story? Running away from bears isn't always the answer or don't believe a word geriatric Shetlanders are telling you, take your pick.