• No
  2. 2. Who should Replace Him ?

• Scott Mitchell
    • Craig Forrest
    • Ralph Krueger
    • Karren Brady
    • Another Former Player
    • Mark Cohon
    • Someone else ( list a name in the comments)
  3. 3. Should The CSA Presidency be a paid position

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/08/2022 at 04:00 AM

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Very interesting he did sign all the big names to TFC. 

Can’t imagine there is a hope in hell of that happening. The CSA currently being hell, of course. Not difficult to believe they hired Cochrane but only because the CSA consistently chooses the worse option. 

20 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Have your say- please vote - throw some names out who would be a great President. 

Ryan Reynolds GIF by MTV Movie & TV Awards

I’m only half kidding. RR is a club owner, so we assume has an interest in the game, but more importantly doesn’t need the money or the prestige and has a reputation for calling shit out when he sees it. Will never happen of course and I doubt the skill sets overlap enough (his and the job’s) but I would love it and we would instantly reach a way wider audience. 

(Couldn’t find the image of Deadpool in a Canada jersey… that’s the one I wanted to post)

Edited by shorty

8 hours ago, gigi riva said:

IT is my understanding that the CSA president is not a full time job . Can someone please correct me if I am wrong 

It's not paid.

It was the same for USSF till this year. They changed the bylaws and now the prez gets 150k. Not the highest paid position as the line execs make 400-700k. GGG makes over 1 million.

22 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Karen Brady would be a disaster. Why would you ever consider her?

People are so concerned about Bontis because he's the head of the current table. The reality is everyone is acting out emotionally to this without having any knowledge of the business side of things. Just as an example, people are really angry that Bontis doesn't seem to have the business accumen of the CSB.... What in the hell would qualify former goalkeeper and broadcaster (whom I do happen to enjoy) Craig Forrest for this job? Yet he is leading the poll. A lot of "big business man bad" energy and not a lot of rational thought.

For what its worth, even though shes the Baroness... Karen Brady would likely be better at the job but would never take it because she commands a salary greater than "perks". Also, all the pro players union guys would likely freak out once they figure out that shes a real business woman. 

26 minutes ago, BradMack said:

People are so concerned about Bontis because he's the head of the current table. The reality is everyone is acting out emotionally to this without having any knowledge of the business side of things. Just as an example, people are really angry that Bontis doesn't seem to have the business accumen of the CSB.... What in the hell would qualify former goalkeeper and broadcaster (whom I do happen to enjoy) Craig Forrest for this job? Yet he is leading the poll. A lot of "big business man bad" energy and not a lot of rational thought.

For what its worth, even though shes the Baroness... Karen Brady would likely be better at the job but would never take it because she commands a salary greater than "perks". Also, all the pro players union guys would likely freak out once they figure out that shes a real business woman. 

For me Bontis lost his job in my book with that press conference and finding out they fucked around since March. This guy comes off has a poser and car salesman. Not a leader we need. 

With Forrest - he’s a legend, Great speaker, understands the game, understands the business of football, he carries a lot of weight and respect with the players on both sides. 

for me personally- I would want Ralph Krueger to be the president or General secretary - maybe have both Ralph Kruger as general secretary and Craig Forrest as president. 

30 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

For me Bontis lost his job in my book with that press conference and finding out they fucked around since March. This guy comes off has a poser and car salesman. Not a leader we need. 

With Forrest - he’s a legend, Great speaker, understands the game, understands the business of football, he carries a lot of weight and respect with the players on both sides. 

for me personally- I would want Ralph Krueger to be the president or General secretary - maybe have both Ralph Kruger as general secretary and Craig Forrest as president. 

Both Forrest and Krueger have significantly less business experience than Bontis. Krueger is a leader yes, but his experience is mostly in coaching and leadership. Forrest understands the player side of the business and has seen how bleak things are from a broadcast perspective. Neither of these men are esteemed business people. They might command respect and maybe the players wont like them, but if you're trying to solve the issue of the CSA not being able to broker great deals I think Forrest and Krueger get their lunch ate by a guy like Bontis. Not that I'm saying Bontis is doing a good job, its just a pipe dream to put some random slightly famous person with almost zero business experience in the job and expect them to improve things... they'd more than likely be a disaster. 

5 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Ralph ran a professional Priemer league team for five years? And is part of the the worlds economic form. Plus has been in professional sports for years. But nick has more experience? 

Why is this significant?

3 hours ago, BradMack said:

Also, all the pro players union guys would likely freak out once they figure out that shes a real business woman. 

Is she? Her main role at West Ham over the past 10 years has been securing and migrating to the Olympic Stadium which has been a disaster. For example, WHUFC have been playing there for six season but she still hasn’t been able to negotiate a deal for naming rights. How many millions of pounds in lost revenue is that? The migration of fans and the seating configuration is still being changed six seasons in. The one thing you could point to as a success could be the terms of the lease but when the terms are so one sided towards WHUFC that it makes the delivery of the lease terms untenable, no one benefits (this is quite visible on a match day). 

6 hours ago, BradMack said:

Both Forrest and Krueger have significantly less business experience than Bontis. Krueger is a leader yes, but his experience is mostly in coaching and leadership. Forrest understands the player side of the business and has seen how bleak things are from a broadcast perspective. Neither of these men are esteemed business people. They might command respect and maybe the players wont like them, but if you're trying to solve the issue of the CSA not being able to broker great deals I think Forrest and Krueger get their lunch ate by a guy like Bontis. Not that I'm saying Bontis is doing a good job, its just a pipe dream to put some random slightly famous person with almost zero business experience in the job and expect them to improve things... they'd more than likely be a disaster. 

Honest question. What real world experience does Dr. Bontis have? From what I've read he has academic and member of the board experience.

He seems to be the sort of person GBS was referring to when he quipped, those who know do, those who don't, teach.

In my experience in K-12 it’s often (but not always) more accurately: those who can, teach.  Those who can’t, go into administration. 

Don’t get me wrong, I have known some amazing and inspirational principals, but Bontis (and Earl Cochrane for that matter) does strike me as the kind of guy that figures he has a “sweet gig” drinking coffee all day in his office, recycling last year’s exam supervision schedule (with all the same mistakes), and parading around the school occasionally soaking in his inflated sense of importance. 

While I don’t really think Ryan Reynolds would touch the job with a ten foot pole, I did vote for an “outsider” in Craig F, not because I believe he has the skill set to run a board, but because I believe he has the intelligence to realize that he doesn’t.  If we truly want change at the CSA it will require someone who knows the game, knows the problems, knows the “players” (meaning the actors involved and what drives them) and has an idea for how things need to change. It would be too much to ask I think for that person to have that kind of critical insight and also have the same drives of a Nick Bontis or an Earl Cochrane. 

It is a similar problem to the one we have asked ourselves in schools forever: how do you attract good administration candidates when the very best candidates from your teaching pool prefer teaching and don’t want the job, and the ones who are attracted to it do so for all the wrong reasons?

What I would want from a new president is someone who has a clear idea of the problems, some idea of the order in which things need to be done, and an appreciation that you still have to work within statutes and procedures — there’s no magical Trump-like formula where an outsider just walks in and everything changes. The new president should have the savvy and the connections to pick a good team around them filling in the gaps in their skill set. They should also have some name recognition to bring some buzz, which in turn can drum up sponsorships. They should also not need the prestige or the money themselves, but do the job out of a sense of duty or mission, knowing they’re in for a slog.

But then we’re right back to the Vice-principal problem.

Edited by shorty

If the next president were to be a former player, my vote would be for Clare Rustad. I don't know, she has just always impressed me when she has done commentating on TV. She seems really bright. I don't know if she has the business acumen, but she seems like the kind of person that will be able to learn things quickly, and probably hire the right people to fill in gaps in her skillset as @shortywas just alluding to.

54 minutes ago, Kent said:

If the next president were to be a former player, my vote would be for Clare Rustad. I don't know, she has just always impressed me when she has done commentating on TV. She seems really bright. I don't know if she has the business acumen, but she seems like the kind of person that will be able to learn things quickly, and probably hire the right people to fill in gaps in her skillset as @shortywas just alluding to.

She’s also a Dr. (the medical kind).