Canadian Soccer Business (CSB)

RJB

I give the players a bit of a break because they even said at the time that they had been gassed up by a certain journalist 

I noticed that journalist is now talking up how the CSB owes Mediapro 50 million insinuating they're a mess

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I give the players a bit of a break because they even said at the time that they had been gassed up by a certain journalist 

I noticed that journalist is now talking up how the CSB owes Mediapro 50 million insinuating they're a mess

Neil Davidson beat him to this story today.

Just taking info from public court documents 

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

Neil Davidson beat him to this story today.

Just taking info from public court documents 

Right but I've noticed if you Google Canada Soccer the first thing you see is a tweet from Whitehead focused on Mediapro claiming the CSB owe them 50 million for whatever 

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

You mean you noticed how he’s talking about publicly available court filings?

3 minutes ago, RS said:

You mean you noticed how he’s talking about publicly available court filings?

There's lots to talk about. What's he talking about

What's this guy's job? Has he ever discussed a CPL game? A player acquisition? Did he cover the CPL schedule released? Was he there when Vancouver fc played their first game?

What beat is this guy on?

Is it the shit all over the CSB for Bell Media beat?

Is it paid a hatchet man for the worst of the worst beat? I know it's tough for journalists to make a buck but don't people have to look themselves in the mirror at night?

Whitehead is so interested in the CPL, mediapro & Onesoccer. Remember him reporting live from the CPL finals. Remember him in the locker with the goggles on after the game asking Kyle Bekker hoe it felt to win the title? Does everyone remember that? I'm sure he'll be there when Forge plays Chivas. He's such a Canada Soccer enthusiast

I really can't wait for when Canada Soccer has some tickets to sell in Canada and pops back up with another feel good story

Edited by SpursFlu

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

What's this guy's job? Has he ever discussed a CPL game? A player acquisition? Did he cover the CPL schedule released? Was he there when Vancouver fc played their first game?

Is it paid a hatchet man for the worst of the worst beat? I know it's tough for journalists to make a buck but don't people have to look themselves in the mirror at night?

So your newest contention is that the guy who works for Bell Media-owned TSN is now shilling for MediaPro?

It’s really not hard to figure out what his job is and why he wouldn’t be covering CPL player acquisitions and schedule drops, but you’d have to take time away from twisting yourself into pretzels and gatekeeping what he reports on.

1 minute ago, RS said:

So your newest contention is that the guy who works for Bell Media-owned TSN is now shilling for MediaPro?

It’s really not hard to figure out what his job is and why he wouldn’t be covering CPL player acquisitions and schedule drops, but you’d have to take time away from twisting yourself into pretzels and gatekeeping what he reports on.

Mediapro is gone forever. He's shilling for a black cloud over CSB & CPL

So you got it figured out. You tell me. Journalist and broadcasters are losing their jobs left and right but he seems to serve some valuable purpose. Simply tell me. What is his role? What is his gig with Bell Media? Describe it

I wonder if there are posters on hockey forums currently lamenting Westhead’s coverage of the CHL and World Junior sexual assault scandals in the same manner as Mr. Flu here.

”Why can’t he just report on the games? Whitehead’s probably never even been to a Sarnia Sting game. Remember him with goggles on in the locker room asking Carter Hart what it was like to win the Juniors? He’s such a Hockey Canada enthusiast.”

JFC.

27 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Westhead does not do in-game sports analysis. He is an investigative journalist who covers sports teams. His most famous story in recent years, by far, is his reporting on the Chicago Blackhawks sexual assault coverup.

14 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Mediapro is gone forever. He's shilling for a black cloud over CSB & CPL

So you got it figured out. You tell me. Journalist and broadcasters are losing their jobs left and right but he seems to serve some valuable purpose. Simply tell me. What is his role? What is his gig with Bell Media? Describe it

Again, it’s really not that hard to educate yourself on this. Do your own research, isn’t that what your ilk like to say?

I’ll do you a solid and get you started. He reports mostly on the business side of sports, but also on the underside of sports organizations.

The man is not infallible in his reporting  — he has tended to side with the players in the CSA saga when he should’ve been more down the middle at times — but he’s not an idiotic ambulance-chaser either.

There’s a reason the NHL and CHL hate him (not publicly, of course).

31 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

Westhead does not do in-game sports analysis. He is an investigative journalist who covers sports teams. His most famous story in recent years, by far, is his reporting on the Chicago Blackhawks sexual assault coverup.

So he's the sexual assaults/CSB is a crime guy. I see the connection 

Does he do anything else or is 2 subjects a year all he's got? I guess pulling out what's could seem negative towards the CSA in someone else's article take a lot of time and effort 

Edited by SpursFlu

Westhead made a career on the Blackhawks story, and now has the profile where if he reports on a business of sport or other such story people will listen. He probably gets a lot of story tips as well for the same reason. He doesn't appear to have much depth of knowledge of the Canadian soccer landscape, but I don't think he's got an ax to grind here.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

So screw the fans? Also, that's less money in the CSA coffer to actually pay them while I think they were on the hook to compensate the other team for the boycott.

They didn't think that one through if you ask me

Easy there. 

Not a popular opinon around here but it is what it is and here it is. 

The CSA doesn't get to hide behind the fan's skirt.  Not in my house.  The lion's share of that whole tragic comedy doesn't rest smuggly in the players' laps, it's curled up in front of a fireplace over at CSA HQ.  And it's still purring away today.

Shrug.  I disagree with the decision but I think they gave it a pretty good think.  First cannon volley in what might be a "lost cause".  So what?  Sometimes winning or losing a fight doesn't matter so much as having the will to fight.   

And.....DUCK! 

I dont know anything about the Blackhawks story, but his attempt to shake down the CSA ended up just being more annoying then anything else. He just kinda ruined the world cup party for everyone. I kinda don't care about him anymore anyways because I think this current situation is nothing but a good thing for the CPL. He's just going out with a whimper on this file. Tell him to stick to sexual assaults because undermining Canada Soccer was a bit of a fail on his part. Points for trying I guess 

Edited by SpursFlu

24 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Easy there. 

Not a popular opinon around here but it is what it is and here it is. 

The CSA doesn't get to hide behind the fan's skirt.  Not in my house.  The lion's share of that whole tragic comedy doesn't rest smuggly in the players' laps, it's curled up in front of a fireplace over at CSA HQ.  And it's still purring away today.

Shrug.  I disagree with the decision but I think they gave it a pretty good think.  First cannon volley in what might be a "lost cause".  So what?  Sometimes winning or losing a fight doesn't matter so much as having the will to fight.   

And.....DUCK! 

In the last 5 years the CSA has started a successful professional league from scratch, made the men's world cup for the first time in 35 years. Won the women's Olympic Gold. If that's a tragic comedy, then sign me up for another 5 years of a tragic comedy 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

So he's the sexual assaults/CSB is a crime guy. I see the connection 

Does he do anything else or is 2 subjects a year all he's got? I guess pulling out what's could seem negative towards the CSA in someone else's article take a lot of time and effort 

You have such a hard time seeing beyond your biases.

Westhead did a fantastic job with the Blackhawks scandal. Nobody cares whether or not he has watched a CPL game. His job is to report on the stories and right now this is the story. And his report is usually correct, whether you like it or not

7 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Westhead did a fantastic job with the Blackhawks scandal. Nobody cares whether or not he has watched a CPL game. His job is to report on the stories and right now this is the story. And his report is usually correct, whether you like it or not

His reports on the CSA/players/CSB stuff in May/June '22 were pretty shit if judged by the standard of covering the full width and breadth of the prevailing issues. If judging by playing to the agenda of his corporate overlords and slanting a complex issue in a cartoonishly one-sided manner, well that's a different story.

30 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

I'm sure he did. I dont know anything about it. But he did a terrible job trying to take down the CPL. A massive failure. Now he's just parsing thru a legal situation that's in the CSBs favor and trying to send some parting shots at the CSA. As someone ales pointed out. He's so out of amo he's championing Mediapro who is clearly in the wrong just in any attempt to get a shot in. Nobody not even the players are listening to his nonsense anymore 

Edited by SpursFlu

Just now, Watchmen said:

I think the story here is the CSB is being sued for $50m and doesn't have a broadcast deal, and it doesn't matter who's reported it.

The lawsuit isn't a story. It's just nonsense. Ain't happening 

The story is the CPL kicked Mediapro to curb because they're deadbeats who stopped paying their bills and the CPL and the CSA is about to announce new media partners 

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think the story here is the CSB is being sued for $50m and doesn't have a broadcast deal, and it doesn't matter who's reported it.

...and all this over a league with playing standards roughly comparable to the 5th and 6th tiers in England. Very much watchable for hardcore soccer fans from Canada but not something that was ever going to be marketable on a global scale so what were these guys thinking on both sides of this agreement? Let's burn through closing in on $200 million combined on soccer comparable to Boreham Wood vs Wealdstone. Fiasco doesn't even begin to adequately describe that.