Canadian Soccer Business (CSB)

RJB

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It really isn't. Welsh clubs in the English league system had to take legal action to avoid being forced into the League of Wales by the FAW. UEFA forced those clubs to stop playing in the Welsh Cup and to be aligned to the FA only as the compromise solution. In contrast CONCACAF and FIFA have allowed Canada to have its cake and eat it too where having a national league and also having the ability to have CSA affiliated clubs play in USSF sanctioned leagues is concerned.

None of this matters to my point. It doesn't matter whether the two Welsh clubs are sanctioned or not by FAW, my point is that the EPL is not called or considered the EWPL if and when teams are in the EPL, or the Championship or whatever. Just as the same with the example of the Swiss league that I also gave.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Once something becomes wrapped up in nationalism some people will cease to be rational. It's worth noting that the three MLS teams are registered with the CSA rather than the USSF and compete in the Canadian Championship rather than the US Open Cup. They are an integral part of Canadian soccer in other words. It's not the same scenario as Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Wrexham etc in Wales who are fully aligned with the FA of England rather than the FAW of Wales.

But none of that makes a difference to FIFA as per the Bid Book.

It's a published document, you can read it, it's not totally relevant because it's speculating from the perspective of 2018. But it tells enough.

Just grasping at air to support a position that you can't defend. You need to a priori deny the validity of the CPL for the WC bid, when the bid document does the opposite: it overstates the CPL, then just a project still, because it logically needs to respond preemptively to what FIFA is looking for.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

When TFC entered MLS if you went on TFC fan boards you would find people wittering on all the time about how MLS was going to be capped at 16 teams, then it was 18 teams, then it was 20 teams because blah blah blah FIFA regulations. From time to time people try to claim that MLS will eventually be forced to move away from its franchise format and have pro/rel because blah blah blah FIFA regulations.

Excuse me if I am skeptical that Canada had to have a national league rather than just MLS to be able to host in 2026 because blah blah blah FIFA regulations. That approach tends to be a convenient way for people to push their pet hobbyhorse issue (this potentially includes Victor Montagliani) when the reality is that FIFA treats what happens in the United States and Canada as a special case and doesn't insist on the national league structure based on competitive merit rather than franchising format with a balanced home and away league schedule that is the norm elsewhere. The Joint Bid won because $$$$$ not because of FIFA policies adhered to.

Beyond that, this (the inappropriate language used should surely be subject to some sort of moderation intervention on a forum such as this in 2022?) is way wide of the mark:

14 hours ago, DoyleG said:

A lot of retards on there* with a note to a certain Calgary radio host.

A lot of them with clear CFM, VWFC, and TFC links.

*With apologies to actual retards.

The stakeholder group within Canadian soccer that is most upset about what is unfolding right now with the CSB deal are the two national team rosters because they think they are being shortchanged as a consequence. Odds on the barrage of negative tweets is being orchestrated from that source.

TFC and VWFC will both be having their stadiums upgraded in various ways to host in 2026 and MLS in general won't do badly out of any rise in interest in soccer in the aftermath of a World Cup hosted across North America so they are unlikely to be at loggerheads with the CSA right now. I guess CanPL vs MLS blah blah blah is the default setting for a certain posse of posters on here with a particular type of nationalist mindset though so same old same old basically.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 10/28/2022 at 1:28 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Can anyone point me to a document issued by FIFA that states explicitly that Canada had to do this?

I don't know or care if there is such a rule. The fact that it's in the bid book means it could very well have been a factor in how people voted.

Besides, the original assertion that the CPL had nothing to do with us qualifying (can't remember if that was Ozzie or @Kingston) may not even be correct. It's impossible to know what would have happened without the CPL, but it's possible the money the CSB pays into the CSA helped the team out in the immediate term. And either way, I do think the CPL's existence created upwards pressure on MLS to sign and play more Canadians, and the fact that we all of a sudden had a league full of potential (albeit relatively low level) replacements may have pushed our national team pool to do better as well.

Maybe I'm giving too much credit to the CPL, but if something that doesn't explicitly do anything on the field, like people cheering in stands, can help push on players, maybe a new league that signals this country is getting serious about this sport can also push on players.

Don't know if this is the thread to post this in, but I'm gonna do it anyway. 

Went shopping today in Regina and asked a couple sport clothing stores if they were getting any Canada jerseys before the world cup.. they all said unlikely.

How the fuck do you drop the ball this bad? Is it Canada Soccer or Nike? 

It surly shouldn't be "supply chain issues" because I see plenty of Netherlands, Brazil and Argentina jerseys!!! 

Find that a bit depressing but not particularly surprising. Not too long after the last World Cup finals appearance I knew mainstream retailers would be a waste of time so I tried to buy a CMNT jersey at a soccer shop on Wellington Street in London, Ont and basically had my sanity questioned by the Croatian dude who ran the place. Not sure it's the CSA and Nike so much but an ingrained mentality going back many decades that nobody is supposed to be interested in the team because Canada =/= soccer.

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Find that a bit depressing but not particularly surprising. Not too long after the last World Cup finals appearance I knew mainstream retailers would be a waste of time so I tried to buy a CMNT jersey at a soccer shop on Wellington Street in London, Ont and basically had my sanity questioned by the Croatian dude who ran the place. Not sure it's the CSA and Nike so much but an ingrained mentality going back many decades that nobody is supposed to be interested in the team because Canada =/= soccer.

Good Point 

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

8 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Good Point 

To both of these points.  I have experience this over the past several months when I've been telling people that I am going to Qatar to see the world cup.   Question that often follows is:  "Which team are you supporting?".   In how many countries (other than the US) would you get that question asked if you told people you were going to the WC?

12 hours ago, ShaneC06 said:

Went shopping today in Regina and asked a couple sport clothing stores if they were getting any Canada jerseys before the world cup.. they all said unlikely.

It surly shouldn't be "supply chain issues" because I see plenty of Netherlands, Brazil and Argentina jerseys!!! 

Or maybe the owner didn't think it that important to order Canada jerseys.

13 hours ago, ShaneC06 said:

Sport Chek must have replenished their supply of Jerseys. All Men's sizes are currently available online. I ordered a couple and it states 5 - 7 days shipping. 

4 hours ago, ShaneC06 said:

It was jersey city I went to

There in lies the problem.

Blaming the CSA like you, @Free kick and @TOcanadafan fan do is rather a poorly thought out, and, in the case of the other two, rather pathetic.

Store owners focus on the bottom line first and foremost. They will stock Canada soccer jerseys if they think it will sell.  Otherwise, it takes up space that they could put other products in along with have to eat the cost of ordering merchandise that doesn't sell. Much is the reason you can't find Team Canada apparel, apart from hockey, very easily in retail stores.

Jersey City has always been the worst when it comes to stocking items for the big event. They stick to the tried and true. SportChek isn't that much better and JD Sports isn't going to give much either.

Edited by DoyleG

12 hours ago, DoyleG said:

There in lies the problem.

Blaming the CSA like you, @Free kick and @TOcanadafan fan do is rather a poorly thought out, and, in the case of the other two, rather pathetic.

Store owners focus on the bottom line first and foremost. They will stock Canada soccer jerseys if they think it will sell.  Otherwise, it takes up space that they could put other products in along with have to eat the cost of ordering merchandise that doesn't sell. Much is the reason you can't find Team Canada apparel, apart from hockey, very easily in retail stores.

Jersey City has always been the worst when it comes to stocking items for the big event. They stick to the tried and true. SportChek isn't that much better and JD Sports isn't going to give much either.

It’s laughable that you think that the business of jersey sales is a separate economy that is controlled by mom-and-pop soccer store owners.  
The CSA/CSB has failed miserably at marketing this team in the lead up the World Cup from every angle.

Edited by TOcanadafan

• 2 weeks later...