Canadian Soccer Business (CSB)

RJB

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I don't disagree, but the question I was responding to was about why the players (or at least Sinclair) is vilifying the CSB/CPL owners. The CSA already were viewed as the bad guys, but the Westhead articles continue to paint the CSB as being evil bad guys as well. I mean that article started off with an alleged quote from Bontis (though not put in quotes) that the CSB was "leeching" money away from the players. That's fairly pointed, don't you think?

OMG the guy took a video call from Aruba. Oh so salacious 

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

But why would the players know??? They come in for 10 days every month play two games and leave. Your pay is in your account. Now the CSA is screwing them out of money of course they are gonna care. The CSA is now no better than the JFF idiots 

Screwing them out of what? This isn't even their job 

Alphonso Davis can make that money by wearing Untuckit.com t-shirt while playing video games on TikTak

What are we even talking about? Quantify the number to each player.. its nothing. It's all bullshit

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Think the consensus here is for the CSA/CSB deal to be renegotiated not cancelled

They are in no obligation to do that. They are taking all the risk and putting their own money on the line. I'm just getting unbelievably amused that we accept that business people will do their things but noooooo...CSB should do what's right.

That's hilarious.

37 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

At a minimum, sponsorship revenues relating to the women's national team should absolutely not be going to the owners of a men's league.

Aren't the sponsorship deals for men, woman and CPL now being bundled and sold together by CSB? I thought that's what the players are angry about.

Just now, Ansem said:

They are in no obligation to do that. They are taking all the risk and putting their own money on the line. I'm just getting unbelievably amused that we accept that business people will do their things but noooooo...CSB should do what's right.

That's hilarious.

I know you think it's laughable but it's the only way forward. 

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

I know you think it's laughable but it's the only way forward. 

If they do, I'll be the first one to be surprised and applaud this. Just saying unlike those who don't get business, should they agree to this - I'd flat out say that we don't deserve them, too many have the thinking that we're somehow entitled to their money and increasing the amount of risks they take while lowering their return.

I hear you, I truly do - just not how the world works.

Edited by Ansem

4 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

OMG the guy took a video call from Aruba. Oh so salacious 

Screwing them out of what? This isn't even their job 

Alphonso Davis can make that money by wearing Untuckit.com t-shirt while playing video games on TikTak

What are we even talking about? Quantify the number to each player.. its nothing. It's all bullshit

It’s not about the value of the money for the mens team , it’s the principal. Don’t screw me over. Plus the players do get payed to play for Canada. Its not amateur sports here. Also the womens team players need that money 

45 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I’m fed up with this shit. This is supposed to be some of the best few months we’ve seen for soccer in this country and this soap opera changes from day to day ....

A lost opportunity we'll never have again.

Maybe it's all still far enough out that it's still possible to ramp things up into what has to be a celebration of football in Canada but I don't know.  Feels like HQ has wasted a slam-dunk opportunity.  Don't know why I should be surprised.

3 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

It’s not about the value of the money for the mens team , it’s the principal. Don’t screw me over. Plus the players do get payed to play for Canada. Its not amateur sports here. Also the womens team players need that money 

Screwed over? How so? Please explain 

Sounds like getting screwed over is amazing 

Wait until the World Cup and our players are served serious humble pie and they realize they should be a bit more grateful to be even on such a platform 

Edited by SpursFlu

15 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

If people cannot see a connection between TSN MLSE and their interests in shutting down CPL and by extension Onesoccer and competitive bidding for CSA properties.

OneSoccer doesn't create "competitive bidding" for CSA properties. They're quite happy to sell TSN any TV rights they have interest in; indeed, they would probably gladly sell the national team rights to TSN wholesale, but TSN doesn't need to do that.

And again, TSN didn't start this controversy, and Westhead is one of the most important investigate sports journalists around. This line of argument is a ridiculous attempt at deflecting criticism of the CSA/CSB.

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

That's hilarious.

that's assuming  the right protocols and approvals were followed with respect to the deal and there certainly is some doubt now that they were. As I mentioned in my post there were apparently no revenue escalation or claw back clauses and a CSB only option renewal that would take the term to presumably 20 yrs. I'm not faulting CSB, but the CSA was either totally incompetent or worse. The lack of transparency on the part of the CSA  just added fuel to the fire

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/mens-womens-national-teams-call-for-investigation-into-canada-soccers-governance/

You know that Soccer has made it in to the mainstream when Sportnet is Directly linking a TSN report on their website. LOL. 

I really hope Sports Canada investigates the goons at the CSA. I know that some ppl here think that the CSB deal is fair, for when it was made. But the ppl in the Association are very incompetent and need to go. The organization needs to elevate. Ask any former player they agree with that.  

As for the CPL.....well if the finances continue like this for 20 years. 3.5 mill will not be enough to sustain and grow the nation teams. That means that the nat team product will suffer and the cpl as well. If the Nat team becomes consistently good there will be more people willing to watch tier 2 football in Canada.  So this is the best and I think only way this deal gets cancelled or renegotiated. 

15 minutes ago, Ansem said:

If they do, I'll be the first one to be surprised and applaud this. Just saying unlike those who don't get business, should they agree to this - I'd flat out say that we don't deserve them, too many have the thinking that we're somehow entitled to their money and increasing the amount of risks they take while lowering their return.

I hear you, I truly do - just not how the world works.

Contracts are renegotiated all the time.

13 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

OneSoccer doesn't create "competitive bidding" for CSA properties. They're quite happy to sell TSN any TV rights they have interest in; indeed, they would probably gladly sell the national team rights to TSN wholesale, but TSN doesn't need to do that.

And again, TSN didn't start this controversy, and Westhead is one of the most important investigate sports journalists around. This line of argument is a ridiculous attempt at deflecting criticism of the CSA/CSB.

Agree with this 100%

9 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

that's assuming  the right protocols and approvals were followed with respect to the deal and there certainly is some doubt now that they were. As I mentioned in my post there were apparently no revenue escalation or claw back clauses and a CSB only option renewal that would take the term to presumably 20 yrs. I'm not faulting CSB, but the CSA was either totally incompetent or worse. The lack of transparency on the part of the CSA  just added fuel to the fire

I'm not really surprised by this considering the tremendous risk of the CPL and setting up of game production/OneSoccer.

I mean without a doubt teams in the CPL are being floated by money that is not coming from ticket sales. And they had to get through the pandemic.

26 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I read the players statement again.  It is all about dysfunctional governance at the CSA and lack of transparency about decisions.  I don't see any vilifying of the CSB/CPL (at least in the players statement).  They are questioning how decisions were made.

I think others and myself are reading a tone/implication into it, part of which stems from somewhat disdainful way that the CPL is referenced (which isn't even by name).

Both Sportsnet & TSN are now painting CSB as co-villains along with the CSA, so that's probably not helping matters. It will be interesting to see Onesoccer, CSB & the CSA respond.

35 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I bet your right, but after this people are gonna loose their Careers. Rick doesn’t give up as well. He Tore up the nhl and the Chicago for months. Also if the government gets involved  and starts doing some massive audits. Things are gonna get worse 

So he'll also be tearing up FC Edmonton and the CPL with it in the end, if I get your drift.

Right now who is propping them up, and with whose money?

Is that money well spent, or not?

As I see it, the deal is a bad one, but I am not in crisis mode over it. I have also signed lousy terms for a mortgage and then had to ride it out until I got a chance to change things. There are plenty of clubs in poor deals for merchandise, sponsors, naming rights. Others getting overpaid. You redo them when you can. 

For me, if the CSB deal ensures the future of the CPL, that is major. If the consolidation of League Ones is happening as a consequence, that too pleases me. League Ones are also consolidating the tier below women's pro in Canada, again, a major development. 

My only complaints as we stand are that the entry fee is getting too high, and that limits the growth of the CPL when the league needs 4-6 more teams before the "founders" start moving into this mentality of overcharging to join in. I do not agree with the non-presence in Québec. I would like there to be some initiative to get a pro women's team in Canada, or project a future pro-am league. 

If all that means a guy going to Qatar will receive 50,000 for the group stage rather than 110,000, so be it. I could not care in the least. If the women are not getting a cut from what FIFA pays the CSA for the mens' accomplishments, I personally do not find that a priority concern. Let them be compensated through other means; most are getting pro salaries now, which was not the case, others have personal sponsorship deals, the compensation for being a pro is much better than even 2-3 years ago.  There are probably about 5-7 men in the player pool not making significantly more or even less than a similar group of women: this is not like the French, German, Spanish, English national teams.

CPL over NT emoluments, that is my view. 

If and when they can renegotiate the CSB deal, if it gives the CSA more flexibility to grow the game and, if we feel that is a priority, spend on player bonuses, great. I am all for it.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

44 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Unpopular opinion -

The NTs are at their highest in term of interest and marketability so they rightfully expected higher revenues. It's telling that it took them 3 years to get wind of CSB, I'm not sure they get the full picture of the CSB deal - they want to get paid but the CSA made that difficult for themselves.

When negotiating with successful millionaires/billionaires - you don't send amateurs to do the job. CSB clearly won that deal. That's on the CSA not CSB

Not sure it's been explained to them that no CSB = no CPL, Women's league, Canada League 1, Media deal etc... If they think that the CSA can do better - clearly they don't understand that they have unrealistic expectations of the CSA

The odd thing is that the statement even mentions that we're getting closer to a women's league being created, which I'm assuming was a response to this interview with Breagha Carr-Harris of the CSA :

https://onesoccer.ca/a/were-building-the-model-breagha-carr-harris-on-spearheading-canada-s-pro-women-s-soccer-league