Canadian Soccer Business (CSB)

RJB

23 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

They initially were talking about being FC Kingston until they no doubt realized how people were going to read the first six letters.

If it was me I'd lean into that branding and sell merch worldwide to smart-asses. ;)

On 6/15/2022 at 7:05 AM, narduch said:

Side bar. I found it interesting that the Whitecaps only started 1 Canadian yesterday. 

But people really want to argue the CPL isn't necessary or helping 

Cavallini was returning from international duty, Hasal has been out injured, they constantly give Gutierrez and Raposo opportunities  they start Teibert way, way too much, and Baldisimo has been give his fair shot and just doesn't appear to be good enough for this level. The Next Pro team has been playing really well and, and ask any Whitecaps fan - we're excited for what's coming up and a few will get their shot next year.

But people want to argue that MLS does nothing.

28 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Cavallini was returning from international duty, Hasal has been out injured, they constantly give Gutierrez and Raposo opportunities  they start Teibert way, way too much, and Baldisimo has been give his fair shot and just doesn't appear to be good enough for this level. The Next Pro team has been playing really well and, and ask any Whitecaps fan - we're excited for what's coming up and a few will get their shot next year.

But people want to argue that MLS does nothing.

Its not that they do nothing.

Its that they could be doing more/a better job.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Its not that they do nothing.

Its that they could be doing more/a better job.

Maybe, but I sometimes think some of the players dodge blame here. Easy to say "the teams should be doing more", but we've also heard stories come out of players thinking they've "made it" with that MLS contract and then not putting in the effort.  Anyway, I think it will be interesting to see over the next few years what kind of an impact Next Pro has on player development. 

MLS NEXTPRO will probably have the same amount of impact as the USL farm teams did.  Look to what TFC has done keeping a USL/USL-C/USL-1 team going all this time and their results.  Van can prob expect similar.

But there has to be some sort of sugar daddy involved in this league though.... Whitecaps couldnt afford a USL team last time, but now they can with no paying fans??  Do you think MLS is kicking in a huge chunk of the expenses to run the league??  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.tsn.ca/world-cup-bonus-fight-exposes-battles-over-canada-soccer-transparency-governance-1.1824428

I dont think that there is anything really new here.   But is summarizes well the mess that CSB created by leeching the money from the success of the national teams and funneling it to CFL team owners.   And to keep afloat a league that would never survive on its own.  the article does reveal that there were board members who raised the red flag when learning of this deal.

PS.:  I use to wonder how a league that draws fewer than 5K per game can afford to hire all those laid off people from the media and put them into executive roles and pay them.    Now we know 

Edited by Free kick

21 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I disagree. I think we learned quite a bit here. 

- That the CSA board never agreed to the deal with the CSB, and the meeting notes "disappeared", with Bontis just declaring that they agreed

- We got some numbers: CSB pays $3m a year to the CSA (which we knew), rising to $3.5m by 2027. The CSB has the right to extend the deal for an additional 10 years at only $4m. Meanwhile, the new CIBC deal pays $5m per year and it all goes to CSB.

- CSB did not pay the CSA the full amount due during the shut down years of covid and their may be a chance to break the deal (much like Ligue 1 did in France)

- Bontis and Cochrane come off as even more corrupt than we expected.

We also learned that the players are now, for whatever reason, refusing to speak to Westhead, which is interesting in light of them using him to air their grievances before. I wonder if that's related to Westhead speaking to a player agent who criticizes the players for their alleged naivety.

10 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

We also learned that the players are now, for whatever reason, refusing to speak to Westhead, which is interesting in light of them using him to air their grievances before. I wonder if that's related to Westhead speaking to a player agent who criticizes the players for their alleged naivety.

I read that as they're waiting to get legal representation in place.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

https://www.tsn.ca/world-cup-bonus-fight-exposes-battles-over-canada-soccer-transparency-governance-1.1824428

I dont think that there is anything really new here.   But is summarizes well the mess that CSB created by leeching the money from the success of the national teams and funneling it to CFL team owners. 

That's a bizarre take on the article and the role of CSB, and more importantly a complete misrepresentation of the ownership of CSB and how we got here.

The three goals outlined by the CSA at the time were good and rational and still make sense. When the deal was signed it was a good deal and provided steady revenue for the CSA while creating a domestic league.