Canadian Soccer Business (CSB)

RJB

1 hour ago, red card said:

York Schulich professor at 5:21 calls out Voyageurs on Facebook for being clueless on CSB.

The players went on strike and named CSB as one of the reasons.  I think even people who knew lots about it started scrambling to figure out more details, like wtf?  I think it is a little arrogant to suggest that V's as a collection should have known all about.  

Even Vijay Setlur would have seen the players statement and probably wondered, am I missing something? so I don't think it's surprising that many V's - myself included - went looking for more knowledge and information.  

3 hours ago, red card said:

York Schulich professor at 5:21 calls out Voyageurs on Facebook for being clueless on CSB.

Yeah that's pretty silly description of who he is and what he said. Having a beer with him at Red Card on Sunday and having interacted with him on the Voyageurs FB he is definitely one of us and I think he is upset at lack of understanding, not the Vees in general.

I'm not sure of he meant to insult all Vees with his pretty accurate summary of a common lack of understanding but I'd say that being a fan of a national team does not make you a student of sports business nor does it make you study the details of promotion and marketing deals negotiated four years ago that have been working fine in the background.

2 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Veth's trusted source reveals that CSB own a "large part of WC earnings". Well fuckity fuck🤯

Is this a surprise? I thought we already knew they controlled the marketing and sponsorship 

For the people ( @SpecialKin particular, but others as well) that keep ignoring the people that talk about most of the mythical $200 million being expenses to run OneSoccer, here is what I think was the first article to mention the $200 million back in 2019.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/canadian-premier-league-joins-forces-with-spain-based-media-partner

"Spain-based Mediapro has struck a 10-year deal with Canada Soccer Business, which represents Canada’s national teams as well as the fledgling CPL, which kicks off its inaugural season April 27.

A source said Mediapro is investing $200 million into the Canadian project over the lifetime of the deal. Scott Mitchell, CEO of Canadian Soccer Business, calls it “the single-largest commitment any company has ever made in terms of soccer in Canada.” "

You guys are absolutely hilarious. MediaPro did not create OneSoccer for the benefit of Canadian soccer! They made it to make money !!!! They are a private company that makes billions. They saw a gap in a market and they paid good money for it in the hopes to make money. Holy fuck boys and girls can we stop thinking they’re some fucking white Saint here because Bell and Rogers would not do it.   20 million a year is not a lot money for a company who’s  buying whole tv networks in Argentina. So can we get real here people. Some of you guys and girls have really drank the cool aid here ! that are really believing press releases from a business man ! 

Edited by SpecialK

As for the CSB/CSA marriage, I do believe I've seen it mentioned several times that it DOES include sponsorships as well. So presumably all that sweet GoGo Squeez and Oat Canada money is going to CSB for the $3 million per year. I doubt there is a ton of money coming in from those deals, but presumably as we get closer to the World Cup there will be some bigger money deals.

As for media rights, I am curious which of these years do people think Canada Soccer could get more than $3 million for. And keep in mind, it's only the HOME games in these competitions. The away games have to be paid for separately to the host team's FA. The World Cup games are NOT included in the deal (TSN has World Cup rights) and I don't even think the Gold Cup is included either (that has to be purchased from CONCACAF, but maybe there is some shady dealings there somehow, so I'll highlight where those games land)

2018 - Nations League qualifying (1 game)

2019 - Nations League qualifying (1 game), Nations League (2 games), and possibly the Gold Cup

2020 - nothing

2021 - WCQ round 1 (2 games, they weren't played in Canada due to COVID, but the CSA would have been the ones selling the rights), round 2 (1 game), round 3 (5 games), and possibly the Gold Cup

2022 - WCQ round 3 (2 games), Nations League (1 game), and let's say the Panama friendly, because without the big bad CSB deal maybe there isn't a strike

2023 - Nations League (1 game), Nations League playoff if we get there (2 games) but I don't know if this would be part of the deal, and possibly the Gold Cup

2024 - Friendlies

2025 - Friendlies, maybe Nations League (2 games), and possibly the Gold Cup

2026 - Maybe Nations League playoff (2 games), Friendlies

2027 - Friendlies, maybe Nations League (2 games), and possibly the Gold Cup

2028 - Maybe Nations League playoff (2 games), Friendlies, and maybe finally some WCQ again!

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

DOES include sponsorships as well. So presumably all that sweet GoGo Squeez and Oat Canada money is going to CSB for the $3 million per year. I doubt there is a ton of money coming in from those deals, but presumably as we get closer to the World Cup there will be some bigger money deals.

I read also the gatorade deal was the CSB as well but no details on who got what. Craig Forrest said he was curious about the Nike deal. Because in the past companies like Nike etc didn’t pay any money they just gave away free shirts, according to Forrest. 

13 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

You guys are absolutely hilarious. MediaPro did not create OneSoccer for the benefit of Canadian soccer! They made it to make money !!!! They are a private company that makes billions. They saw a gap in a market and they paid good money for it in the hopes to make money. Holy fuck boys and girls can we stop thinking they’re some fucking white Saint here because Bell and Rogers would not do it.   20 million a year is not a lot money for a company who’s  buying whole tv networks in Argentina. So can we get real here people. Some of you guys and girls have really drank the cool aid here ! that are really believing press releases from a business man ! 

I wasn't suggesting they were created out of some philanthropic desire to prop up Canadian soccer. In fact if anything I was doing the opposite. You keep talking about the CSB sitting in their mansions laughing at the CSA while counting their annual $17 million dollar profit. I am pointing out that they are NOT getting a $17 million dollar profit each year from Media Pro. That $17 million dollars is going towards Andi, Gareth, Oliver, Adam, the camera guys, the studio, the software guys, the web servers, the HR department, the secretary, the travel expenses and lodging and per diems, the writers, the graphic artists, etc., etc., etc.

The "investment" mentioned in the article that I linked is what they are spending on media rights, but also all the expenses for them to operate in order to give us the fans CPL and national team content. Of course they are in it to make money. That's why they didn't splash out $20 million per year in media rights for something that nobody else was willing to pay for.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

CSB sitting in their mansions laughing at the CSA

Maybe Bob Young is we don’t know haha. 

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

they are NOT getting a $17 million dollar profit each year from Media Pro. That $17 million dollars is going towards Andi, Gareth, Oliver, Adam, the camera guys, the studio, the software guys, the web servers, the HR department, the secretary, the travel expenses and lodging and per diems, the writers, the graphic artists, etc., etc., etc.

We don’t know what operational costs is for onesoccer. Also the CSB collects 20 million a year from mediapro. The CSB is not paying Andi and wheeler, they are MediaPro employees. That 17 million goes to the CSB and they can do whatever the hell they want with it. So what are you taking about. 

OneSoccer is not the part of the CSB. OneSoccer is component of MediaPro. The CSB sold the rights to the CPL and Canadian national teams for 200 million cold hard cash. And the CSA see 3 million a year of that deal and who knows about other deals. 

15 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Question - we are hosting 2026 World Cup - we would we still be involved in World Cup qualifying? Or would we be like Qatar and Jump into a bunch of tournaments and have a ton of Friendlies ? 

Well we still haven't officially been told we get automatic qualification to the 2026 World Cup, but if we do, we won't play qualifiers.

So assuming all media and sponsorship revenue goes to CSB,  is there any upside revenue potential for Canada Soccer? host some high profile home games?  I'm very supportive of the CPL and ensuring that it continues to get stronger. We need a top tier pro league not just to host 2026 but for the future growth & development of the game in Canada. The one concern I have is that our national youth programs have been non existent and it's an area the CSA has to to invest in if we are going to not only  keep our youth players in our program but to continue to enhance the profile of Soccer in Canada and that takes major funding.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

OneSoccer is not the part of the CSB. OneSoccer is component of MediaPro. The CSB sold the rights to the CPL and Canadian national teams for 200 million cold hard cash. And the CSA see 3 million a year of that deal and who knows about other deals. 

No, no, no, NO! You still aren't getting it. Here is the wording that I quoted above "A source said Mediapro is investing $200 million into the Canadian project over the lifetime of the deal."

It does NOT say that Mediapro bought the broadcasting rights for $200 million. The above are weasel words to give people the impression that is what is going on if they don't stop to think about it. But that investment into "the Canadian project" is Mediapro's investment into trying to break into Canada. That includes whatever they are giving to CSB, but ALSO ALL OF THEIR EXPENSES TO PRODUCE CONTENT IN CANADA! It is NOT "cold hard cash" going to CSB. If it was cold hard cash going to CSB, why would Edmonton's owner drop out? Why would the player salary cap be around $800k? If they were getting all that money, the CPL would be more flush with cash. They are flush with content from Mediapro/Onesoccer, not flush with cash.

Edited by Kent
I said "They're" instead of "their". Ew. Fixed.

On 6/7/2022 at 11:29 PM, SpecialK said:

Thanks for this link. It gives me almost exactly what I wanted to see when all this CSB paranoia started. If only it had a couple years previous as well. But it looks like CSB has NOT knee-capped the CSA in their earning potential for Commercial Fees, but likely actually grew the money generated for the CSA.

image.png.d109044e9f134426f6d5acb53c7e13da.png

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Get off the cool aid- they paid 200 million to show Canadian soccer - so they can make money, just like any other company 

Please provide a source. Kent has argued with you in good faith and has provided a source that says the value of the contract is $200 million not $200 million in cash. Telling people to “get off the cool aid” doesn’t actually refute this. 

2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Get off the cool aid- they paid 200 million to show Canadian soccer - so they can make money, just like any other company 

I give up. You must be right because you mentioned kool-aid. Of course, they paid $200 million in broadcast rights, then are paying another, say, $200 million in expenses, in order to make money off of the CPL and the CMNT.

Of course, it was silly of me and others to think they paid more like, say, $30 million in broadcast rights, and $170 million in expenses, in order to make money off of the CPL and the CMNT. How could I have been so foolish.

Obviously the $400 million sunk cost way is a much better and more devious way to make money than the $200 million sunk cost way.

Negotiations for broadcast rights.
CSB: "How much are you willing to give us for the next 10 years."

TSN: "Um, are you going to cover our expenses to produce the games?"

CSB: "No."

TSN: "Why would we pay you money then? We are out."

Sportsnet: "Yeah, more than 0 is way too expensive. We are out too."

MediaPro: "OK, we would be happy to broadcast your games..."

CSB excited: "Great, we have a place for people to see our games!!!"

MediaPro: "but is $200 million dollars enough? That's all we are willing to give you."