Canadian Soccer Business (CSB)

RJB

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

....the CSPA will probably lose this lawsuit....

I think you are correct @narduch.

8 minutes ago, frmr said:

Name and shame!

17 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

sleezy bs

14 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Expose the dirty side of the game...

...but if it leads to some naming and shaming I'm eager to see how it all unfolds.

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

I know it's fashionable to hate the CSA but the CSPA will probably lose this lawsuit. 

They need better advice. 

I agree. The whole idea of sueing the CSA on behalf of CSA is ironic because if they lose the lawsuit, they will have caused large amounts of damage. 

2 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Pathetic how as soon as the game has a shred of relevance outside of it's little bubble, everyone involved has to tear it apart.

Yet every single side acts as if their actions are to benefit the future of canada soccer players. No one says, I did this for money or power.  

I dont care which side someone supports.... its getting old all this fake altruism 

1 minute ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Was Dino on the board at the time?

No. Dino was elected in May 2023.

The article about the lawsuit states:

"15 current and former Canada Soccer board members who signed a media and sponsorship contract in 2018 with the private company Canadian Soccer Business (CSB)."

It sounds like if you weren't around in 2018 when the agreement was signed you are off the hook.

Not for the first time, I think these women are insane.

"The lawsuit alleges board members breached their fiduciary duty to Canada Soccer when they approved the CSB media and sponsorship deal in 2018 and seeks to hold them personally liable for damage caused to Canada Soccer.

“Each of the 2018 Canada Soccer directors owed Canada Soccer a fiduciary duty... to act honestly and in good faith with a view to the best interests of Canada Soccer,” the statement of claim says. “Instead of considering the best interests of Canada Soccer in approving the CSB Agreement, however, they focused on the best interests of CSB, a private, for-profit company.”"

Basically they have to prove that the existence of the CPL, getting the 2026 World Cup and any other investment made by or derived from the CSB is not in the best interests of Canadian soccer, and that this was effectively deliberately done to hurt Canadian soccer in order to make the likes of Josh Simpson & Rob Friend multi-gazillionaires.

Good luck in proving that...

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not for the first time, I think these women are insane.

"The lawsuit alleges board members breached their fiduciary duty to Canada Soccer when they approved the CSB media and sponsorship deal in 2018 and seeks to hold them personally liable for damage caused to Canada Soccer.

“Each of the 2018 Canada Soccer directors owed Canada Soccer a fiduciary duty... to act honestly and in good faith with a view to the best interests of Canada Soccer,” the statement of claim says. “Instead of considering the best interests of Canada Soccer in approving the CSB Agreement, however, they focused on the best interests of CSB, a private, for-profit company.”"

Basically they have to prove that the existence of the CPL, getting the 2026 World Cup and any other investment made by or derived from the CSB is not in the best interests of Canadian soccer, and that this was effectively deliberately done to hurt Canadian soccer in order to make the likes of Josh Simpson & Rob Friend multi-gazillionaires.

Good luck in proving that...

Would they also need to prove a better deal was available?

31 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Just another headline with no substance to tar and feather football 

Luckily those in the know don't care and most of the public stopped listening to this nonsense 

The whole feeble attempt is so 2019

How is there no substance to the headline?

Was there something factually incorrect in there that you can shed light on?

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Would they also need to prove a better deal was available?

I think their argument, from what I can tell from that article, will rest more that the CSB didn't pay them enough for what they think the CSA teams are worth or that the value of the deal didn't increase over time - but the fact that, for example, the CSA was paying TSN to show matches and it took Covid happening to give the men's team the break they needed to qualify for the World Cup (because the format changed for the better for us, that is an objective fact) will hurt their chances big-time, along with everything else I mentioned. The argument that they should have known that Canada was going to easily qualify for the 2022 World Cup for the first time in 36 years is just pure revisionist history when the old format that existed at the time they made the CSB deal is taken into account.

I've no idea how they intend to prove that the CSB is rolling in the cash hand-over-fist thanks to the CPL or MediaPro not paying them, and I also don't know if their lawsuit is dependent upon Lukas McNaughton having a crap year in 2024, but at this stage, who knows.