Canadian Soccer Business (CSB)

RJB

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Well, it's not their money. I'm not saying they think the league is in danger, simply that they need to continue with business as usual and the risk on any new stadium/improvements is on the cities. So the question might be, does this give the cities pause on any new stadium/renovations? I think they at least have to see what the new broadcast deal is.

I doubt councilors would even be very knowledgeable about league minutiae at this level

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think they'd be aware of "the league doesn't have a broadcast deal and is being sued for $50m".

It would come up during further deliberation but municipal councillors do not receive detailed policy packs on presentations before council. Perhaps in smaller committees. Only councillors in the very largest of cities would have dedicated staff working to do this sort of backgrounding on proponents.

3 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

It would come up during further deliberation but municipal councillors do not receive detailed policy packs on presentations before council. Perhaps in smaller committees. Only councillors in the very largest of cities would have dedicated staff working to do this sort of backgrounding on proponents.

They may not get that kind of information for the “Martha wants her driveway fixed” items, but no big-ticket government decision (on the crown jewel property in the city) would be made without some degree of due diligence and background research.   For the city of Halifax this is a big investment. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

They may not get that kind of information for the “Martha wants her driveway fixed” items, but no big-ticket government decision (on the crown jewel property in the city) would be made without some degree of due diligence and background research.   For the city of Halifax this is a big investment. 

Indeed, and Halifax has a history at balking at big-ticket items. 

I guess this explains why Martin has been so positive on Twitter. Man needs to project positivity and stay-the-course so people don't start getting jitters before that stadium is funded.

I heard a crazy rumour that the CSB will use all the Mediapro equipment and production to create their own production company and sell all of the content they create from CSA properties. Has anyone else seen that rumour?

Edited by SpursFlu

That sounds unthinkable with their impending court case with media pro. Unless there is some agreement in place. Having the games produced to just sell is definitely far easier for interested parties. I assume the majority of the one soccer crew will have to relocate or be released soon and we must have a fair amount of experience in the country now to hire.

I'm still hopeful for a best case CBC deal. Or if we have to TSN/Sportsnet or Bein so it stays on fubo.

YouTube, while likely being considerably the worst financial landing spot, could bring more viewers than the rumoured onesoccer subs. It would be make the league look more amateur again though. Matches of the week on main Broadcasters with the others on YouTube could probably work in the short term. 

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

...I assume the majority of the one soccer crew will have to relocate or be released soon and we must have a fair amount of experience in the country now to hire...

Think the biggest issue in logistical terms is where do they get the broadcast trucks and cameras needed for four games in different parts of Canada every weekend? Mediapro is almost certainly not going to be the answer if they are suing CSB for $50 million and no longer hold the rights.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think the biggest issue in logistical terms is where do they get the broadcast trucks and cameras needed for four games in different parts of Canada every weekend? Mediapro is almost certainly not going to be the answer if they are suing CSB for $50 million and no longer hold the rights.

I’d imagine that is already worked out given that a) CSB withdrew rights, so knew this was the case; and b) Noonan has stated that all games will be available. 

If it hasn’t been worked out they are in the worst bargaining position in the history of professional sports, which I’m sure you’d love to believe. But then again, wouldn’t be the most shocked if it were true. 

15 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

IIRC there was that meeting awhile back involving the leadership of CPL, CEBL, and ? so perhaps a joint media plan was discussed then?  

CPL really should join forces with Project 8. But we know that probably won't happen.

Apparently Project 8 have already tapped up Dome Productions for broadcasting 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

...If it hasn’t been worked out they are in the worst bargaining position in the history of professional sports, which I’m sure you’d love to believe... 

What on earth is that bit all about? I would have loved to see CanPL working cooperatively with MLS back in 2018 with an approach that would have made expansion in cities like London and Kitchener easier so they could conceivably have had 16 clubs by now. What's unfolding right now is pretty much the last thing I wanted to happen.

On 1/28/2024 at 2:03 PM, dyslexic nam said:

It's funny because in dollar column, It's not even all that big compared to other things on the docket.

But you're right, in terms of the background and hype around stadiums, it's massive. 

• 3 weeks later...