Canadian Soccer Business (CSB)

RJB

1 hour ago, canuckgbp said:

What are the odds CBC steps in for CPL? Getting new rights for the National Teams doesn’t seem difficult but CPL… it is not a packaged deal right?

Can they leverage National team games with CPL? Do they have that pull? 

Why should CPL games be tethered to the NT’s?

6 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think it's a stretch for them to get a "game of the week" aired somewhere. I think it's a much bigger stretch to think every CPL game will be televised. But I guess we'll see.

That would be a total disaster IMHO. 

Out of sight, out of mind. 

Say what you want about OS (good or bad) but at least it gave us the opportunity to follow the league properly. 

I have my opinion and speculations too but TBH I am just tired at this stage.

Like, I can deal with my teams loosing. Its part of sports. You have ups and down. What I have a harder time with is all the out of the pitch bs that have seemingly wound up dominating Canadian soccer for the last 12-18 months or so. 

Like, I just want my sports to be about, you know, sports... Is it really too much to ask?

6 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

Say what you want about OS (good or bad) but at least it gave us the opportunity to follow the league properly. 

I think people are quickly going to realize just how good we had things with OS. We're heading into a potential territory where we don't have guaranteed video broadcasts in any form for every match or we end up with production quality akin to some US Open Cup matches, on tri-pods swung around haphazardly.
TSN/SN won't be showing every match on TV and they probably won't even show every match on their streaming services. Best we can hope for from either is a single match each week, and if people criticized OS for being Ontario-centric wait until they see what Rogers or Bell is willing to commit...

13 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

I don't think subscribers tuning in to OneSoccer was bringing many new fans to the stadium. I imagine the flow was largely in the other direction.

living out of canada i paid for one soccer. but friends and family in canada were always like "i cant watch the national team games on tv. wtf!". i watched more than they did... maybe that will change now.

22 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

I think a lot of more casual CPL watched tuned in via Fubo, which they already had for the EPL and such. Big loss for the league if that goes away. Game of the week is better than nothing, but it's a downgrade for sure. Better to have all the games on Fubo then 1 game a week on TSN or Sportsnet imo.

32 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't think subscribers tuning in to OneSoccer was bringing many new fans to the stadium. I imagine the flow was largely in the other direction.

No disagreement here. But there are soccer fans all across this country living outside of the CPL markets that are following the league which will now be tougher to possibly do. 

Edited by gwsmith63

4 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

No disagreement here. But there are soccer fans all across this country living outside of the CPL markets that are following the league which will now be tougher to possibly do. 

Yup. Hopefully a solution is found that gets at least some of the games on a bigger stage than OneSoccer was able to provide.

Current broadcast business model for non-tier 1 sports properties like CPL/Canada Soccer may look more like CEBL, PWHL, CHL & Rugby Canada. 

No dollars for rights. Production will need taken care of by CPL/CSB which usually means a more basic broadcast and a step back financially. If a basic produced feed provided, it will at least be shown on TSN/SN/CBC streaming platforms. Maybe get one match/week on their linear channels but can be squeezed out any week by hockey, CFL,Jays & Olympics (this year). Maybe get a share of ad revenue if CPL sponsors are willing to buy enough ad time. Can also set up own free streaming service like CEBL did.

For Canada Soccer, it will look like pre-2019. There are no WCQs to dangle for next 3 years. Or as seen with Sinclair's last match, we will need sponsors like CIBC/Visa to make it financially viable for broadcasters

The hope is that half the friendlies that weren't shown under TSN/SN will now be funded by CSB to get a YT stream. Likewise for Voyageurs Cup where only the semis/final made it on TSN/SN. Unlikely TSN/SN will pay Concacaf for rights to show Canada matches but now at least there are on Concacaf YT. Shoulder programming and day-today coverage will basically disappear unless CPL/CSB expand their communications department.

Edited by red card

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Yup. Hopefully a solution is found that gets at least some of the games on a bigger stage than OneSoccer was able to provide.

Maybe some sort of regional set up where teams can negotiate with local tv with the caveat that they must be able to provide a streaming platform for the games. 

Nobody likes to go, to what appears, backwards but that is what the local Rogers22 provided for the Fury in NASL and USL times. 

46 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

But there are soccer fans all across this country living outside of the CPL markets that are following the league which will now be tougher to possibly do. 

I would like to know those subscription numbers on One Soccer alone or via Fubo.  

1 hour ago, Mihairokov said:

I think people are quickly going to realize just how good we had things with OS.

Truer words could not be wrote.  

Now Mediapro breaking obligations is another matter.  I expect they figured the production investment they've put into CPL and the NTs has enough value to CSB to let them play games with their other financial commitments (And you know what?  They might be right) but CSB is clearly of a different opinion. 

The CSA wants to have a second look at the deal they got with CSB do they?  Here you go boys and girls.  Lets see how clever you really are, eh?