Canadian Soccer Business (CSB)

RJB

The key question for most of us here: does CSB have the commitment to the CPL that will ensure its survival?

All indications are that CSB is committed to the league. 

However, there is no way they can generate the income that MediaPro was paying, or was supposed to be paying, on that long-term deal. A few months before the start of the CPL season, are we faced with a major drop in funding to each of the clubs, and to the league, which will drastically affect rosters, overall budgets, other financials? I am not optimistic.

1 minute ago, canuckgbp said:

What are the odds CBC steps in for CPL? Getting new rights for the National Teams doesn’t seem difficult but CPL… it is not a packaged deal right?

Can they leverage National team games with CPL? Do they have that pull? 

It’s closer to the mandate of CBC than half of the shit on CBC. I would be over the moon if they got the rights.

About time they had some sports again. 

3 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

What are the odds CBC steps in for CPL? Getting new rights for the National Teams doesn’t seem difficult but CPL… it is not a packaged deal right?

Maybe just 1 CPL game per weekend again

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I feel like CSB must have something lined up otherwise they wouldn’t have withdrawn. Maybe they’ve finally reached a deal with daddy Bell media and all will be well. 

It would be very stupid to make this decision without a fallback plan - regardless if they weren't paying. MediaPro/OneSoccer was still providing a value to the business. So I want to believe they have something lineup, and I'm interested and excited to hear the great news!

If I hear they plan to broadcast games ala MLS Next Pro....this league could potentially be in palliative care. 

24 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

I expect CBC would be happy to show some of the games. The issue would be I doubt they have the budget to pay big rights fees, if that’s what the CSB needs (as you would think).

22 minutes ago, Califax said:

It’s closer to the mandate of CBC than half of the shit on CBC. I would be over the moon if they got the rights.

About time they had some sports again. 

CBC will not buy the rights. They are cutting staff. Don't think they have money for this. 

If anyone takes this it's TSN or Sportsnet

The more I think about this the more this feels like a Miracle. 

TSN or Sportsnet will pick this up. 

CSB's press statement says " open up to larger audience" 

CSB can't broadcast themselves, they have no capacity.

They also need to get their product out ASAP.

Considering that MediaPro has not payed for 2023 payments...this has been in the works for a while. I'm sure they liked the huge numbers for the Sinclair game.

This will get done soon!

Edited by Vasi

6 minutes ago, Vasi said:

CBC will not buy the rights. They are cutting staff. Don't think they have money for this. 

If anyone takes this it's TSN or Sportsnet

You’re probably right, but it doesn’t mean they should opt out. They’ve been sorely in need of a reset on how they do things. 

Part of the reason CBC is in such a spot is because they lost the rights to the NHL. They played hardball with the NHL and lost big. Pair that with the fact that their very existence is in trouble when government changes after the next election. 

Now might be the time to do some soul-searching about the type of organization they’re going to be in a few years.

Edited by Califax
Deleted a word by accident

1 hour ago, RS said:

Taunting a man for (potentially) losing his job isn't what anyone should be doing. Just my opinion.

That's why I didn't tweet it to him.

Although a mean-spirited and heartless joke, it felt relevant enough to post here .

Here is another mean-spirited joke from that "CanMNT Universe" guy:

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Oh Wheels has a TFC logo on his ass, he'll find a home there...if he doesnt go and do TSN MLS.  

I'm hoping that majority of the good guys at onesoccer like KJ, Andi, Oli, Jordan, and Jenkins will go with whoever picks up the rights. 

If it's TSN, a nice panel of DeGuzman, Wilson, and KJ would be good with Wheels and Jenkins covering matches.

Im tired of the Kevin and Scott panel.