Canadian Soccer Business (CSB)

RJB

I'll be perfectly honest and say that I had never heard of Canadian Soccer Business (CSB) before today.  I consider myself mostly in the know - much less than many here, but more than most others - and realize that it has played a potentially integral role in the reasons for cancellation of the Canada-Panama match.  

So, here's a thread. 

The announcement was made in March of 2018: https://www.canadasoccer.com/news/canadian-soccer-business-csb-a-new-sports-enterprise-now-represents-premier-soccer-properties-in-canada/

I don't know much, but I wonder a lot.  On the surface, it feels like it is Soccer United Marketing (SUM) for the CSA.  That's pretty hopeful. 

So basically, what is it?  What are the terms of the deal? We know it's ten years, but what has the CSA paid or given away?  What are the consequences?  

I feel like if the CSA said, 'hey, we're going to invest heavily in this in the hopes of a big payoff at the end' then they would say so and that would be ok.  But it all just seems fairly secretive.

What attracted my attention was the use of the ''represent'' here. Not, operate or own, or control, represent. If they are only representing then great, go represent the team and make deals to create future revenues. There is no reasons not to, unlike what the CSA seem to be saying.

Something doesn't click...

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Really? A thread for this?

Same question, where was everyone like 4 years ago?

Was this called out years ago? I never heard of it until this week.

Its crazy just when I thought this WC qualification will finally be the windfall and catalyst to propel Canada soccer forward we get dragged down by good old corruption (or incompetence) 

8 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

my low information take seeing the reaction of the players, this is the devil that CSA sold its soul to. CSA thought they were selling 8 year of mediocre revenue (until 2026) not expecting the taking off. Now they sold what can be 10s of millions of revenue for a few million. 

That's on the CSA, not CSB who actually took a risk/bet on themselves and on Canada soccer. It's called business and CSB/CPL will get rewarded to have bet correctly 

At the same time, tell me what Canada soccer was worth around 2017 after another failed attempt to reach the Hex.

Can't oversimplify this either... No one saw this WCQ coming

Edited by Ansem

3 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

Was this called out years ago? I never heard of it until this week.

Its crazy just when I thought this WC qualification will finally be the windfall and catalyst to propel Canada soccer forward we get dragged down by good old corruption (or incompetence) 

No one cared years ago, those who did knew this was going on.

Hard to take the 2022 outrage seriously when this was done back in 2018/2019... where were you? Where was the media? Where was everyone?

Exactly 

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Really? A thread for this?

Same question, where was everyone like 4 years ago?

Yes.

Who knows where I was four years ago!  I missed this.  Or maybe it seemed like a good idea and so it didn't register.  But it is in the news today, and I don't know shit about it.  I also suspect many here also don't.

Better late than never, right? 

But the idea that because it was under the radar back then means it's something we can't ask about it is a little bit much, don't you think?  

The players were very effective in drawing my and others attention to this.  

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Hard to take the 2022 outrage seriously when this was done back in 2018/2019... where were you? Where was the media? Where was everyone?

Exactly 

People care now.  That's how things work.  

Just now, RJB said:

Yes.

Who knows where I was four years ago!  I missed this.  Or maybe it seemed like a good idea and so it didn't register.  But it is in the news today, and I don't know shit about it.  I also suspect many here also don't.

Better late than never, right? 

But the idea that because it was under the radar back then means it's something we can't ask about it is a little bit much, don't you think?  

The players were very effective in drawing my and others attention to this.  

People care now.  That's how things work.  

Thanks for caring NOW. However, a deal is a deal.

See you in 2029 when that deal is up

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

That's on the CSA, not CSB who actually took a risk/bet on themselves and on Canada soccer. It's called business and CSB/CPL will get rewarded to have bet correctly 

At the same time, tell me what Canada soccer was worth around 2017 after another failed attempt to reach the Hex.

Can't oversimplify this either... No one saw this WCQ coming

Except if Canada isn't playing these friendlies, it's not benefiting CSB either.

And yes, I've been actively aware of the CSB since it was founded and when no friendlies were being announced after the qualification I was calling for the CSB to help set something up, because that's what they should be doing.  It would help themselves and the CMNT.  So I will say it here again - the CSB should be setting up these friendlies and then taking a high percentage of the revenue from it.  

Just now, Watchmen said:

Except if Canada isn't playing these friendlies, it's not benefiting CSB either.

And yes, I've been actively aware of the CSB since it was founded and when no friendlies were being announced after the qualification I was calling for the CSB to help set something up, because that's what they should be doing.  It would help themselves and the CMNT.  So I will say it here again - the CSB should be setting up these friendlies and then taking a high percentage of the revenue from it.  

This is the "transparency part" that I was looking for. It does make sense for CSB to be looking to organize more friendlies, we just don't know if that's still stays with the CSA - By the looks of it, it is.

Otherwise, "Dr." Bontis would have been quick to blame the whole thing on CSB

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

Lol.

Apparently there is an option to extend it 10 more years too

Seriously??? I didn't know that!

For everyone else in attendance, the CSA outsourced part of what they are supposed to be doing to CSB, in a nutshell.

I might go on a tangent there... that's why I believe that eventually, the CSA won't be able to ignore CSB's interest and decision will be taken accordingly...

*MLS or NWSL operating in Canada - looking at you*

If you read CSB statement, they side with the players and call for "transparency" from the CSA.... aka.... they aren't seeing eye to eye with "Dr" Bontis

@narduch

You're right

246381400_Screenshot_20220605-232349_TheStar.thumb.jpg.caff331ed72a83ff61693ab283a234bb.jpg

Edited by Ansem

13 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Exactly 

I have been following these boards almost daily over the last 10 years but I totally missed this whole discussion.  Can you direct us to the initial thread?

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

In 2018, Canada Soccer signed a deal with an organization called Canadian Soccer Business, which is tied to the owners of the five-year-old Canadian Premier League. The deal guaranteed Canada Soccer a baseline level of revenue of $3 million a year, and the vast majority of everything after that — chiefly sponsorship deals and broadcast revenues — goes to CSB. The deal was spearheaded by then Canada Soccer president Victor Montagliani, who has since ascended to the presidency of CONCACAF; it was designed to benefit the CPL, partly because FIFA apparently prefers that World Cup host nations have their own domestic leagues. The CSB deal is for 10 years, and apparently has an option to extend it to 20.

OK last comment. Tonight I was just planning on playing some Railroad Tycoon 2 while low key watching some CMNT friendly where I was not invested in the outcome.  Was going to have a chill night while going to bed early before an intense workday tomorrow.

Instead I get to stress out over CSA crazynesss!!! Serenity now.

Edited by SirBobsaget

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Oh well, very soon - CPL will control the CSA... an extra 10 year option on top of this...

MLS clubs must feel nervous

They already do ….. the CSB is the CPL. Bob Young and Scott Mitchell ( first one listed on the CPL leadership page ) is the CPL

D8653304-71A3-4DB3-8905-2A34F17074F7.jpeg

24DCF4CB-6406-4D66-BAA9-CCA1994805E9.jpeg

Edited by SpecialK

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

They already do ….. the CSB is the CPL. Bob Young and Scott Mitchell is the CPL

Meh..:that’s the part I’m cool with.

MLS has USSF best interest for years, and the Canadian clubs are separate from that mantra. 

I want to see the real details, but if the CSB is using majority of the money to develop the game aka CPL…and as a result we are developing more players at a better rate than previously. I personally don’t have a problem with it. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Meh..:that’s the part I’m cool with.

MLS has USSF best interest for years, and the Canadian clubs are separate from that mantra. 

I want to see the real details, but if the CSB is using majority of the money to develop the game aka CPL…and as a result we are developing more players at a better rate than previously. I personally don’t have a problem with it. 

But the issue is we don’t know where the money is going ? And why are they so Secret about it? When was the last time the CPL, CSB and the CSA all come out, do a big press release or photo op of new investment? 

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

Agree 100%.  The devil is in the details of course, but surely if this is the case they can demonstrate that and we can all be happy!

1 minute ago, RJB said:

Agree 100%.  The devil is in the details of course, but surely if this is the case they can demonstrate that and we can all be happy!

I don’t think they will. Something is wrong here. If everything is fine. The players wouldn’t striking. Even when there was HUGE problems with the CSA and mens team, to the point where players would take shots at the CSA in the media, they still didn’t strike. 

The risk for the players in a strike is huge. FIFA can come down hard , those players could lose a spot in the World Cup, this could hurt there own personal brand and popularity.