The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

5 hours ago, GasPed said:

But isn't it even more accurate to say the league is also subsidizing the CSA (and by extension the national team players) to the tune of $3 - 4M per year, via the CSB/CSA deal?

And for the players, having actual coverage through OneSoccer likely leads to increased exposure and  improved scouting and marketability. Especially for youth players 

8 hours ago, Ivan said:

Okay, I can agree with most of that.  The only point i'll make is that the sponsorship revenue is not generated by the CSA, it's generated by the CSB.  The CSB then pays an agreed to amount to the CSA which is apparently 3-4 times higher than what the CSA generated on their own.  So they are not funding a private business, the private business is doing that on their own.  I do realize this is a chicken and egg scenario and the success of the national teams is a significant driver.

The only thing missing in this equation is a women's league, where I think the girls are getting their noses out of joint (and rightfully so) with the CSB.  There needs to be something done for the development of the women's league with this money and hopefully they can work things out eventually with Project 8.

And recall that previously they outsourced marketing to IMG for 1$ million 

20 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know this isn’t contrary to the other things you said, but you don’t even have to look into the future to see the kind of sea-change that has happened.  We have a national domestic league.  We have a dedicated soccer broadcaster that has provided absolutely unparalleled access to Canadian footy content.   We have infrastructure (both human, and bricks and mortar) that simply does not happen in the absence of this deal and the league it facilitated.  We have an emerging pyramid that is integrating pre-existing elements (e.g. L1O) with the new league.  

None of that happens over the past 5 years without this deal.  Full stop.  No league.  No OS.  No intentional and coordinated evolution of the developmental structure.  At best we may have had rogue start-ups trying to emerge recently in light of our newfound success.  But there is no way it has the level of coordination and integration we are seeing. 

If I am being honest, I can’t understand how someone could maintain that sort of effort deserves no support from our national association. 

100%.

It's been mentioned but I'll type it out again anyway because I think it's that important. There are countless youth players out there today, who are playing this sport outside of the MLS academy system, that now believe they can still have some sort of career in football.  Another path has opened up to them for that goal.  Because of the CPL and CSB. 

Finally, a lot of parents who pay that CSA tax evey year for their kids player card might see a tangible return.

6 hours ago, Cheeta said:

100%.

It's been mentioned but I'll type it out again anyway because I think it's that important. There are countless youth players out there today, who are playing this sport outside of the MLS academy system, that now believe they can still have some sort of career in football.  Another path has opened up to them for that goal.  Because of the CPL and CSB. 

Finally, a lot of parents who pay that CSA tax evey year for their kids player card might see a tangible return.

You just explained why the MLS 3 and their supporters have such a hard on when it comes to the CPL/CSB.

This whole women vs men debate on Twitter mostly is starting to tick me off. All these people who have no clue about the history of the men’s team are starting to complain saying the men are being treated better. Name one other country where the women’s national team was held to a higher standard than the men’s team for over a decade. 

33 minutes ago, DoyleG said:

You just explained why the MLS 3 and their supporters have such a hard on when it comes to the CPL/CSB.

No he didn't.

@Cheeta just explained why increased professional opportunity via the CPL is and will be hugely beneficial to growing the talent pool in this country.

That you saw that as some sort of shot at MLS is actually an indictment of the hard-on that you have for MLS.

I've actually had some borderline angry hater energy come my way when I've told Whitecaps fans I've bought Vancouver fc tickets. These are all people who grew up or now live around the Vancouver city area. 

I'd totally pay $11 extra bucks if it meant everyone would shut the hell up

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

I have 3 boys. All of which play indoor and outdoor soccer. Over the course of a year that is $66. By the time they are 18 that will be over $1000. Now I am helping fund the CSB through Canada Soccer incompetence!!?

We appreciate it.

Anyways, most gouging is from clubs themselves, who overcharge with no guarantee of quality.

5 hours ago, SF said:

Seriously hope this is not true.

That will endear CSB/CanPL to the youth clubs that drive group ticket sales. If the increase on registration fees is that big it suggests the CSA have been told that renegotiation simply isn't happening.

I am out of the loop on these sorts of issues these days but if there are still ways for clubs to avoid registering house league players with their local district association as there were 20 years ago this might not be as big a moneyspinner as the CSA hopes.

8 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I have 3 boys. All of which play indoor and outdoor soccer. Over the course of a year that is $66. By the time they are 18 that will be over $1000. Now I am helping fund the CSB through Canada Soccer incompetence!!?

I don’t find the increase to be prohibitive, just the cost of doing business. Agree youth soccer shouldn’t be going to fund the CPL. 

8 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Nope.  Your registration money does not go to the CSB.  You are funding the CSA through their own incompetence, if that is the way you're looking at it. 

32 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Nope.  Your registration money does not go to the CSB.  You are funding the CSA through their own incompetence, if that is the way you're looking at it. 

CSA doesn't have funds because they gave most of their income to CSB. This causes CSA to increase player fees. If no CSB deal this doesn't happen. How is this not a direct cause of CSB?

4 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

CSA doesn't have funds because they gave most of their income to CSB. This causes CSA to increase player fees. If no CSB deal this doesn't happen. How is this not a direct cause of CSB?

Boy that's not even Home Economics level. If we accept junior high economics are commonly flawed.

The CSA receives more money yearly from the CSB than they have ever gotten from anyone. Then that only limits part of their potential revenue streams if and only in boom conditions, which are never guaranteed.

If the CSA had been able to maintain the Vancouver friendly the gate would have been over 2 million, pushing 3. Benefits pushing 1.5 million. It's more mismanagement from the CSA, longstanding, than any problem with CSB.

45 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Boy that's not even Home Economics level. If we accept junior high economics are commonly flawed.

The CSA receives more money yearly from the CSB than they have ever gotten from anyone. Then that only limits part of their potential revenue streams if and only in boom conditions, which are never guaranteed.

If the CSA had been able to maintain the Vancouver friendly the gate would have been over 2 million, pushing 3. Benefits pushing 1.5 million. It's more mismanagement from the CSA, longstanding, than any problem with CSB.

It's not really complicated economics. If there was no CSB deal, does any of this mess of the last 7 months happen?

8 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

It's not really complicated economics. If there was no CSB deal, does any of this mess of the last 7 months happen?

Yes it does. The CSA has been poor / incompetent long before the CSB. And before the CSB, they had a marketing deal like this in place in IMG. 

21 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

...If there was no CSB deal, does any of this mess of the last 7 months happen?

Who knows they might even have been in a position to cut registration levies and move towards making the national programs self-sustaining. If CSB and the CSA board manage to antagonize the grass roots of the sport as well as the CMNT and CWNT rosters out to 2037, the years ahead are going to be an ongoing fiasco.

The CSA could have simply downscaled the economic model of the league that was going to be launched to something more in tune with the Easton Report (yes, I know he works for CanPL now, so what?) with both the men's and women's side of things up and running from the get go in more cities from coast to coast to avoid there being any need for this to unfold, but but something something D1.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

You idiots who keep thinking that increase is to fund the CSB are going beyond reason of logic.

Look at those damn reports!

The fucking CSAs main revenue has always been the people who are involved in the game. The play for fun adults and kids, the referees and the coaches who all sign up to play crazy prices to play the game. Nowhere else in the world is any federation run like this.

I can’t apologize for ignorance.

The players are greedy, and have quickly forgot where they have come from!