The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

1 hour ago, RS said:

Wait, who was that?

Was drake when he met up with all the players. He later tweeted to drake to join the party or something, maybe realizing having a massively popular fan isn't the worst thing. 

When you're receiving an extra 10 million and making cuts, should probably take advantage of opportunities like that 

Noonan clearly not impressed with the men's letter calling the minor league comment as an "absolute cheap shot". Also took serious issue with their statement about the CSB using players' names, image and likeness without their consent stating that with any contract they make there is always a "group license which is designed to protect the players". 

8 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Disclaimer: I have not listened to the interview other than the snippet above, but  sounds like more leadership from Noonan vs  Bontis. At least he is meeting with  media and looking to resolve and solve issues.

The more time passes the more I think of Bontis as the guy who took this role to get free trips, some swag and to schmooze. Now that both the teams are doing well, there is so much more media attention and scrutiny. He is so out of his depth. 

Also, this situation shows that we need the president position to be a payed position. We need someone who is 100% involved. 

8 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Disclaimer: I have not listened to the interview other than the snippet above, but  sounds like more leadership from Noonan vs  Bontis. At least he is meeting with  media and looking to resolve and solve issues.

That snippet is basically the tone of the entire interview besides the issues he had with the men's letter. Clear, concise, respectful, positive and hopeful about the future. Another thing he brought up was that the CSB is more than willing to help the CSA on multiple fronts to maximize their earning power. He stated the CSA is not "using all available revenue streams" at the moment. Why am I not surprised?

14 minutes ago, Vasi said:

The more time passes the more I think of Bontis as the guy who took this role to get free trips, some swag and to schmooze. Now that both the teams are doing well, there is so much more media attention and scrutiny. He is so out of his depth. 

Also, this situation shows that we need the president position to be a payed position. We need someone who is 100% involved. 

Tim noted that Bontis was invited to participate in the discussion and he declined.  I don’t know how the leadership of the CSA can think that silence and written statements are the best way to move forward.   

30 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Tim noted that Bontis was invited to participate in the discussion and he declined.  I don’t know how the leadership of the CSA can think that silence and written statements are the best way to move forward.   

Although the CSA today had to amend their written statement at the request of the women's player's association for mentioning something they weren't supposed to mention until an agreement has been reached, so frankly right at the moment I'd worry that anything he says publicly could inflame the situation with the women until it is resolved.

I agree though, overall Bontis needs to do more of what Noonan is doing now. Mind you, the CSB is still getting hammered on social media by nincompoops that are determined to hate on them (some of whom are sadly posting under the Voyageurs Facebook group). Of course, it seems like he will now be forced to say something at this parliamentary inquiry. I've asked the MP in question if he's planning on also inviting Infantino since the inequality of funding regarding WC prep involves FIFA who don't provide equal funding to begin with. I don't post on Twitter very much, we'll see if I get an answer or just blocked.

9 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think the problem is that people complaining about it amplified it in a way to casual fans or non-soccer fans that hadn't even heard about it.

Yeah ppl here, myself included, right it was blown out of proportion. Thats not the same as not an issue. Means we don't think it SHOULD be an issue.

But also Noonan comes across as at least professional, but I'm not sure why everyone is just taking everything he says at face value. He's the CEO of a for-profit private company who is on a PR push because his company is being dragged. I dont believe for a second that they're just happily losing tons of money out of the goodness of their heart 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I agree. But the "silence and hope it goes away" had been their MO as long as I can remember. Its also worked for them. But things are obviously different now.

We all known how this will end. Unfortunately it will take longer to get resolved with the current leadership. 

1 hour ago, Mattd97 said:

Yeah ppl here, myself included, right it was blown out of proportion. Thats not the same as not an issue. Means we don't think it SHOULD be an issue.

But also Noonan comes across as at least professional, but I'm not sure why everyone is just taking everything he says at face value. He's the CEO of a for-profit private company who is on a PR push because his company is being dragged. I dont believe for a second that they're just happily losing tons of money out of the goodness of their heart 

Please show us on the doll where CSB did bad on you.

8 minutes ago, DoyleG said:

Please show us on the doll where CSB did bad on you.

That would be where my two national teams have gone on strike in the past year. That's where they did bad on me. But I'm not sure "I don't fully trust a CEO when he tells me he's benevolent" is quite the hot take to make a post about me being obsessive or something over it. Pretty sure if we count up posts in this thread by you defending them or me finding fault with them that it'll be a little tilted 

I also wonder who is leading the charge on the men’s side here. It’s clear to me that the players in charge aren’t as smart as they think they are. The players hadn’t even retained counsel before going on strike - like come on guys, you’re millionaires pool together some funds, evaluate options and do it right. The recklessness makes me think everyone should just relax before making judgments. I don’t think the voyageurs as a group need to hit the brakes on taking sides. If this is about players wanting more money to represent Canada I don’t see how that aligns with the goals of this group. The women in particular need to be more clear with their exact complaints because as of now all I hear is “pay us more” … there’s no argument to be made that the men are favoured when the women play double (triple?) the matches. 

15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I also wonder who is leading the charge on the men’s side here. It’s clear to me that the players in charge aren’t as smart as they think they are. The players hadn’t even retained counsel before going on strike - like come on guys, you’re millionaires pool together some funds, evaluate options and do it right. The recklessness makes me think everyone should just relax before making judgments. I don’t think the voyageurs as a group need to hit the brakes on taking sides. If this is about players wanting more money to represent Canada I don’t see how that aligns with the goals of this group. The women in particular need to be more clear with their exact complaints because as of now all I hear is “pay us more” … there’s no argument to be made that the men are favoured when the women play double (triple?) the matches. 

I'd put the over/under on the total number of millionaires in the combined CMNT/CWNT squads at 8.

5 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'd put the over/under on the total number of millionaires in the combined CMNT/CWNT squads at 8.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

I’ll take the under.  Significantly under.

You guys have to be kidding right? 

Hutchinson, Davies, Larin, Osorio, Kaye, Laryea, Cavallini, David, Borjan, Hoilett … 10 right there who are comfortably millionaires. 

2 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

This is an extreme understatement…I would definitely take the over on this.

David, Davies, Osorio, Cavallini, are all millionaires…

Laryea, Borjan, Atiba, Larin, Kaye, Hoilett, Adekugbe, Piette, Johnston, Buchanan are all on 500k+….

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Hutchinson, Davies, Larin, Osorio, Kaye, Laryea, Cavallini, David, Borjan, Hoilett … 10 right there who are comfortably millionaires. 

Depends on how you define millionaire.  Anyways, doesn’t matter, they live comfortably right now.  But I would not call 5 or 6 of them wealthy.

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Based on my research, the bold aren’t on million dollar contracts. But at least 500k..

point still stands that the under is at +1400.