The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

38 minutes ago, narduch said:

You can probably figure out who is on which side based on which male players tweeted out the latest letter.

I believe MAK, Millar and Johnston all did.

Davies and David didn't for example. 

There were rumours Davies didn't want to boycott the June friendly

Davies, yes we heard that. I'm not sure though. Some might share because they're caught up in the group dynamics, think it's Johnston's case. I don't think Millar is overly political, he's a very disciplined guy with focus and doesn't make waves. Kaye made his own comments to press earlier, he's been outspoken about other things, so he might be more in favour. Atiba could hardly be worried about the money. Half probably could care less about the women, having not spent time as adults in Canada where you'd know the women and understand the wavelength (Borjan, Vitoria, Larin, Eustaquio).

I admit I really don't know, but I can't believe there's unanimity around these unanimous statements.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Davies, yes we heard that. I'm not sure though. Some might share because they're caught up in the group dynamics, think it's Johnston's case. I don't think Millar is overly political, he's a very disciplined guy with focus and doesn't make waves. Kaye made his own comments to press earlier, he's been outspoken about other things, so he might be more in favour. Atiba could hardly be worried about the money. Half probably could care less about the women, having not spent time as adults in Canada where you'd know the women and understand the wavelength (Borjan, Vitoria, Larin, Eustaquio).

I admit I really don't know, but I can't believe there's unanimity around these unanimous statements.

It's different for the women though. They do appear to be a unified force.

But that makes sense as they are the ones getting shafted (ex. No April friendly to prep for World Cup)

34 minutes ago, narduch said:

But that makes sense as they are the ones getting shafted (ex. No April friendly to prep for World Cup)

You know, here I don't believe it either. If you've been to many events and have won medals, if your career is consolidated, sure. But if you've just arrived? Yeah great, I finally get here and the veterans are more worried about other things. Think of Sheridan, just an example. I realize the younger players may truly admire and appreciate the fight, realizing it's to their benefit. But maybe not to the point of boycotting She Believes if you've never played it before. The veterans have less to lose and don't care if they miss another match here or there, for the newer players it may be a critical test. But I'm just musing.

19 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You know, here I don't believe it either. If you've been to many events and have won medals, if your career is consolidated, sure. But if you've just arrived? Yeah great, I finally get here and the veterans are more worried about other things. Think of Sheridan, just an example. I realize the younger players may truly admire and appreciate the fight, realizing it's to their benefit. But maybe not to the point of boycotting She Believes if you've never played it before. The veterans have less to lose and don't care if they miss another match here or there, for the newer players it may be a critical test. But I'm just musing.

That's more or less my take, as well.

19 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'm sure Westhead probably has asked the other side. They are under no obligation to answer him. There's a difference. 

That's not Westhead's style though.  He is an investigative reporter, admittedly a good one, he has no interest in the other side of the story only to raise issues of controversy.  He is correct to raise the women's issue with the disgusting lack of resources to be provided by the CSA.  But where is the retraction on his naming the CSB as a culprit in all this?

For example, Davidson also had an article picked up by TSN (No longer on the site so I can't paste it here) giving the women's side after the CSB presser article he did.

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'm not really disagreeing, but I'm not sure the CSB's PR is actually working.  From the handful of non-soccer fans I've heard from about this, the questions were along the lines of "what is the CSB and why are they taking money away from the players?"  One of them had heard the story on a major non-sports radio station.  Mind you, they were also heavily blaming the CSA.

I trust you were able to straighten out your non-soccer friends and explain to them that CSB is not taking money from the players?

4 hours ago, narduch said:

You can probably figure out who is on which side based on which male players tweeted out the latest letter.

Adekube did, interesting considering his brother is benefitting from the CSB deal.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

I've thought a bit about this and I can imagine it being uncomfortable for Davies to assume this position of needing to roast the CSA publicly.

A very short time ago he was still the young refugee given a chance in Canada, became the spokesperson for the 2026 bid in front of FIFA, youngest goal scorer, sang Canada's praises, etc. Overall he has this really grateful, appreciative, happy-go-lucky positive personality. 

Pragmatically, in his eyes there's probably also the issue of what's good for his brand. Is going out on social media blasting a semi-awkward letter roasting the CSA good for him or for his brand being associated with Canadian Soccer? Same with David? I believe this also came across when he got ahead of the FIFA WC payment drama by saying he was just going to donate all his earnings anyways. I really don't think he (rightly or wrongly) wants to be associated with this stuff. 

These are his personal choices I'm inferring, but the bigger question is what effect might it have on the team... 

1 hour ago, zeelaw said:

It's starting to seem pretty telling that the men's support isn't anywhere near total.

Same thing with the Voyageurs. But messages are sent out for all.

Remember Davies was one of the few guys who gave his WC money away to charity. I know not everyone is making his kind of money, but they are making way above the average Canadian.

5 hours ago, narduch said:

The difference between the women and men is that the men can boycott, everyone has a club career, and they have leverage.

The women rely on their international careers for all their fame and success. Most of the women club teams in Europe are charity causes and they don't make any money. I know a fairly high profile women's player personally and she has a second job.

I think it's unrealistic for them to expect similar funding to the men's club. Even though the men's team has had no success until recently, they were still bringing in more money than the women's team.

20 minutes ago, Califax said:

This Valentine's Day, I hope all you boys and girls found someone who loves you as much as @zeelawloves editing his post after accidentally posting the same thing 8 times.

💘

I was kinda hoping that it was an expletive laden tirade that he went on but then went back and deleted it all.  It's much more fun to try to fill in the blanks.

Maybe that's what I need to do to get my post count up.  Post the same thing two or three times and then go back and "delete" it.

21 minutes ago, Califax said:

This Valentine's Day, I hope all you boys and girls found someone who loves you as much as @zeelawloves editing his post after accidentally posting the same thing 8 times.

💘

I was kinda hoping that it was an expletive laden tirade that he went on but then went back and deleted it all.  It's much more fun to try to fill in the blanks.

Maybe that's what I need to do to get my post count up.  Post the same thing two or three times and then go back and "delete" it.